HDMI Status: = Not connected Why??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tase2, Apr 28, 2007.

1. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    In the last couple of weeks I have set up a HT. Last week I set it up to run HDMI through the AVR and components out to TV as well.

Worked like a charm.

Since I had cheaper RCA plugs going out for audio on the TV speakers, I thought I would order a set of 5-RCA Component A/V Cable. I also ordered a 2nd nice thick HDMI cable. (I believe I was already using a new HDMI cable from the Tivo to AVR and ordered a 2nd fro DVD to AVR).

Long story short, after I switched out a few cables I can not get my HDMI connection to work at all.

I get HDMI Status: Not connected in account settings. Of course I never bother to check before, but I am assuming it said HDMI Status Connected.

I have tried the old cable :thumbsdown:

I have tried both new and old cable directly from Tivo to TV :thumbsdown:

Any suggestions?

2. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    I am not being inpatient waiting for any suggestions, it is just that being a Saturday afternoon, it is the perfect time for troubleshooting and whatnot.

Anyone experience anything similar?

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Do you have all native output selected? Some displays do not accept a 480i signal via HDMI, and have a problem syncing when that option is selected.

Do you get output on your display from your DVD player connected to the receiver via HDMI?

4. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Thanks

Yes set to Native.

Yes I was able to get dvd to work HDMI directly to TV-so I know it isn't TV, and I was able to get it to work through the AVR, so it isn't the AVR.

I called a CSR, couldn't figure anything out, she will bumping it up to level 2 and somebody should get back to me within 24 hours, who knows.

5. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Out of curiosity, have you tried a reboot?

6. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Thanks for asking.

Yes I have actually tried rebooting several times to see if it would help and several times unintentionally because the plug is loose in back and comes out of the Tivo sometimes when I'm moving stuff around.

7. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Shucks. Why can't it be something easy.

8. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    :) Good point.

Do you think the pins on the hdmi port could be bent?

Are there even any pins on the Tivo HDMI port? :eek:

9. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Hey tase

My (functioning) HDMI status on my S3 reads "HDCP enabled".

Looks like you already tried what I would have suggested.
    Let us know what happens.

Jim H.

10. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Thanks Jim

I am curious as to what the Tivo HDMI status reads when you just plain aren't using HDMI?

Does it automatically say "Not connected if it is not connected or would it still be enabled, but you're simply not using it?

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I've never used my HDMI, and it says "Not Connected" for HDMI status.

12. pl1

pl1 Active Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    That is what both of my S3's say, I have them both connected via HDMI to my Panasonic Plasma. If I go in to either S3's System Information screen I get "HDCP enabled". I also have two component out connections to another TV.

13. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Any ideas as to I could have sudden lost the HDMI function all together?

Even better any ideas on how to get it back.

I have rebooted numerous times.

I have forced network connections.

I'm lost at this point.

I'm still waiting for Tivo level 2 csr to call me, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I seem to recall some people reporting that the HDMI cable connection on the board could come loose, and pushing it back down fixed the problem. I may be thinking of a different DVR, though.

15. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Any thoughts on that?

I assume that would entail taking the cover off?

That is no problem as I have already been under the hood to put a 750gb drive in there before I ever plugged it in.

Of course someone would need to tell me exactly what I was looking for.

16. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Nobody wants to touch that one?

Going under the hood freaks me out a little too.

17. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The HDMI port on the S3 is soldered to the main board. The poster above may have been referring to the HR10-250 (DirecTiVo box) that has the HMDI port on a daughtercard, and can be pushed down to reseat it.

18. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Ok thanks.

Any theories on why I cannot get my HDMI Status to read "HDCP enabled"? :)

19. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    I just thought of something. I think it is pretty far fetched, but as I continually going through different menus screens, I went into "Remote, CableCARD, & Devices" screen and it occurred to me that while I was fiddling with the wires the other day, I accidentally popped out one of the cablecards. I still have and never lost any channels.

So 2 questions:

Do you think there could be a correlation or is just a coincidence?

If I ventured into CableCARD Decoder and actually went into either of the "Configure CableCARD" menus, would I risk losing the settings and need to contact the cable company?

You know how if you go into some menus you just see the info that has already been entered like "Repeat Guided Setup" you will already see your zip code and other info.

20. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Well I talked with a level 2 csr and he is trying to blame it on my Sony TV.

I told him the TV works fine using HDMI with the DVD player.

He gave me the "bad cable" line too. I told him it is a verified working HDMI cable.

Somebody on another forum mentioned
    "As for HDMI dying it could be that somehow when hooking things up you grounded a plug accidently (touched it to the back of the receiver w/ both units on maybe?) and fried the HDMI circuitry on the TIVO or Receiver... might require being sent in for repair."

Is it possible I did fry or somehow the HDMI circuitry got fried?

Anyone ever hear of a HDMI circuit being fried?