HDMI Splitter & TiVo Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Legacy777, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Legacy777

Legacy777 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

I've searched and found several threads about splitters, but didn't find one that specifically addressed my issue.

So I just took advantage of the Premiere to Bolt upgrade. My current Premiere is using component video with digital audio going to my TV. I am also using HDMI going to my Onkyo receiver. I do this so I don't need to have the receiver on all the time I'm watching TV. I would like to retain this flexibility with the Bolt, but since it doesn't have component video I'm wondering if I can just get a HDMI splitter and send one signal to the receiver and one to the TV. But I guess what I don't know is if the receiver is not on will the HDMI to the TV work properly.

If this will work, any recommendations on HDMI splitters?

Is there another configuration option I may be overlooking/missing that would still give me the flexibility to watch TV connected directly to the TV or through the receiver?

Thanks!
    Josh

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It most likely WILL work.

-KP

3. Legacy777

Legacy777 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Ok, thanks. I'll do a little research on splitters to find one that will suit my needs.

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Don't be too cheap.

The Sewell's are pretty easy to find and not too expensive and I've seen them work well.

-KP

5. tamathat

tamathat Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin

Advertisements

Does your Onkyo receive Optical digital (toslink) cable? Would be a lot cheaper than hdmi splitter

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    HDMI audio and Toslink audio are not equal in quality.

-KP

7. Legacy777

Legacy777 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've narrowed down my search to these two. The less expensive one had good reviews on Amazon and was reviewed a lot. The more expensive one had good reviews, but less reviews. I can't tell from the specs alone what is different between them. The specs look the same. I've emailed the company to see what they say. I'll report back when I find out.

The only thing about these is they are not HDMI 2.0 compliant, just 1.4b. The Bolt is 2.0 compliant. I debated on getting a 2.0 compliant splitter, but none of my devices or cables other than my Bolt are 2.0 compliant. Plus these had better/more reviews then the 2.0 splitters I saw.

J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 2 Ports HDMI v1.4 1x2 Powered Splitter with UltraHD 4Kx2K

J-Tech Digital JTD-MINI0102/4k 2 Port 1x2 Powered Super Mini Splitter Supports Ultra HD 4K Resolution and 3D

8. Oct 3, 2017 #8 of 67
    NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    I use the Toslink setup for my TV & HDMI for my receiver.
    Reason being that TV speakers sucks for the most part so for watching news, sitcoms - Tolslink is more than suffiice & @$5-10 - is plug & play.

tamathat and kpeters59 like this.
  9. Oct 4, 2017 #9 of 67
    tamathat

tamathat Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin
    I use Toslink too and have had no issues, very stable. In fact I prefer it because it automatically turns my surround system off and on when I power the tv. No need to ever use the surround remote.

NoVa and Mikeguy like this.
  10. john brady

john brady New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    just to be clear, do hdmi splitters work TiVo bolt? I am trying to output the bolt signal to two different TV's. I have tried 2 different cheap splitters so far. what I get is a picture on each tv for 3 seconds, then it switches to tv snow and then back to a picture and so on. it is a powered splitter.

11. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Is there any other information you might be able to provide?

-KP

12. john brady

john brady New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    what else would you like to know

13. john brady

john brady New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    before the new bolt I used the premiere with the component for one and the hdmi for the other, worked fine

14. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, it might be helpful if we knew what model HDMI Splitter. Cable lengths. TiVo output resolution. TV make model...anything more than nothing would be good...

The Snow you're describing is a handshake issue.

-KP

15. john brady

john brady New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    SOWTECH 1X2 HDMI Splitter Version 1.4 Powered HDMI Splitter Dual Monitor HDMI Splitter for Full HD 1080P Support 3D (One Input To Two Outputs)
    1 cable 6 feet, other @15 ft, tv resolution both 750p one Viseo, one Magnavox, no more than 4 years old

16. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  17. john brady

john brady New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    the other splitter was a famirosa, I believe it is also a Sowtech, thanks for the help

18. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Does a different device work? Blu-Ray? Roku?

-KP

19. john brady

john brady New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I saw the Sewell post from @ 10 years ago, do you know if they still work?

20. john brady

john brady New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I only hooked up a laptop and it did work