HDMI Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ebandman, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ebandman

ebandman New Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Is 5.1 Dolby sound passed through the HDMI cable in the H10-250? I've always used optical cables to the amp with the HDMI going directly to the display. I'm getting a new AV receiver that has HDMI switching and wondering whether the receiver will extract the 5.1 sound that way or do I need to still connect an optical cable to have it decode the 5.1 surround info from the HD stations.

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Short answer, yes.

HDMI is designed to be a one-cable solution, so it DOES carry the 5.1 information.

3. Marino13

Marino13 New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I can verify what TTT said. One thing to look out for though... If you are buying a low priced (cheap) receiver you may have a problem. Many of the "el cheapo's" do not pass audio through the HDMI input, only Video switching. In this case you would still need to use the optical cable for audio.

4. ebandman

ebandman New Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks Marino. I gathered that as I was going to go with a Onkyo 505 but decided to up it to the 605 for that exact reason. Apparently the 505 is video only switching while the 605 will extract the audio for processing via HDMI.