HDMI Problem

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wmschultz, Jul 24, 2006.

1. wmschultz

wmschultz New Member

May 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO

Advertisements

I did a search and couldn't really find anything, so if someone has a link feel free
    to post it.

I think my HDMI port is going bad.

The TV - Tivo loses sync, where the video will just keep blinking to a black screen
    while the audio keeps going, audio and video are being sent via hdmi, I have no
    other audio hook up.

I will switch the resolution between 480i-480p-720p-1080i to try to get the HDMI
    to sync and lock. It will eventually lock but then the video is jumpy, then it will go
    and start doing the sync problem again.

I called support and was told, "There is no documented HDMI problem". Anyway,
    they want me to play switch the boxes around and call back. I have 3 HD-Tivos and
    while I guess I could switch them around I am just pissed that they are telling me
    there are no issues with the HDMI port.

This Tivo was a refurb to replace my previous HD-Tivo that had a bad hard drive.

So please let me know if I am describing the classic HDMI problem.

Thanks all.

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Yep

3. wmschultz

wmschultz New Member

May 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Thanks Earl. Now get back to coding 6.3.

4. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    :) Wish I could... but I don't work for TiVo.... and I don't work for DirecTV (who is testing the code).. :D

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

C'mon Earl, fess up. We all know you're really a mole placed here to keep an eye on us. :p

6. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    tell then you went through the hassle of switching boxes and still have the problem. they should send out another one whether they admit the hdmi problem or not, you have shown you have a problem and they will replace the box. if still under warranty or service plan.

7. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    But who knows if the next box will have a functioning HDMI or not...

8. wmschultz

wmschultz New Member

May 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Yeah...I know. Quite frustrating.

9. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    For what it's worth, the classic HDMI problem usually has a solarized picture, not so much just a blanking picture.

10. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I gave up after my third replacement, and just went to component.

11. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY
    Has this issue been fixed on HR10-250s with more recent manufacture dates? I'm planning on getting one and I'm wondering if the units on store shelves now still have this problem? Or did they fix this problem at somepoint so only units with an older manufacture date would be susceptible?

12. webpowered

webpowered New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I had one of the first HD-250 and my HDMI connection never worked, only had a black screen. At one point a year ago, I sent my HDMI card to CCS (CSS? whatever it is) and for $!00 had it repaired. It worked for about 6 weeks, then gave me the blue screen "overheating" message, even though it wasn't overheating. So I went back to Component. I even sent the card back to CCS (CSS) but they tested it and said it's fine, and that maybe my motherboard was having problems. It worked fine using component.

Recently my hard drive went completely haywire and in less than 24 hours DirecTV shipped me a replacement unit they said was refurbished. (It looks totally new to me, but maybe it's refurbished.) This one works flawlessly on HDMI and everything. I even think the colors look better when I watch it upstairs on a conventional TV via regular connection and switch to 480i.

I just hope it keeps working. I'd rather keep using HD-250 than give up my locals OTA which look incredible in the Philly area.

Don

13. kenyjr

kenyjr New Member

May 27, 2005
    I went thoght five before i give up d says it is my sony tv i have a thec. come out to find out if its the tv.

14. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY
    But has the problem been fixed with recently manufactured units? Sounds like both of you had older units.

15. kenyjr

kenyjr New Member

May 27, 2005
    No last one i got was a newer 250 and let is why i have a tech. comeing out to see if it is my tv.

16. jmorgis

jmorgis New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Earl is not testing any 6.3 code, because 6.3 is never going to be released by DTV.!!

John

17. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY
    Got it. Thanks.

18. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    To answer your question:

The main HDMI problem was with the tiny wires that are on the HDMI daughter board. Any wiggling in the HDMI card could cause one or more of the wires to fracture.

DirecTV added some sort of epoxy to the board so that it is much more solid, and you'd have to open the box and really bang the card to cause this problem to recur.

So yes, the main HDMI problem has been fixed, and even refurbished units are supposed to have this fix. You can tell if you open the box and see red glop where the HDMI card meets the MB.

There are other, more general but far less frequent HDMI problems that are more about the HDMI specification (for lack of a better word) than the HD Tivo. Some TV manufacturers have inconsistent implementations of their HDMI port. So the repeated problems (like those mentioned above) are more likely the TV than the HD Tivo's. Some (like JVC) issued a patch for their TV's to fix this.

If you have a newer TV, this HDMI specification problem is unlikley to effect you.

19. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY
    My TV is a Sony Grand Wega and was built in March 2006, so it sounds like as long as the HD Tivo has the 'red glop,' then I should be OK.

20. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Yup. Is it the 60WE610 or the A20 line? In either case, both work perfectly with the HD Tivo.