HDMI Output No Signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Resist, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003

Advertisements

Had an interesting thing happen with my Bolt today, it stopped sending a signal out the HDMI to my TV. It's a new TV but I tried one of its other HDMI inputs, and still nothing from the Bolt. I tried replugging into the Bolt and even jiggling the connector, nothing worked. Ended up unplugging the Bolt for a few minutes and starting it up again, that worked and everything was back to normal. Having a heat wave here this week and the only thing I can think of is that the Bolt overheated, never did this before. But at least it still recorded my shows.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    System Information display "ODT" which is internal temperature in C. How hot is it? There are many threads on cooling a Bolt.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    At the time I didn't think to look at the system information for the internal temperature. And yes I know there are many threads about cooling the Bolt. I was just posting about my experience yesterday, since I've never encountered this before with any Tivo I've owned. I would have thought that Tivo would have designed the Bolt to more easily handle the heat.

For now I'm going to try using water bottle caps to raise the Box up higher, for more air flow. If that doesn't work well, then I'll be buying the AC infinity exhaust aircom S7 to put under it. Just want an easy solution without much work.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  4. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Laptop cooling pad, cheap and easy.

cwerdna likes this.
  5. Todd

Todd Gee thanks Jeremy...

Oct 7, 1999
    Coastal...

Advertisements

Suddenly one of my TiVo minis started having HDMI issues tonight. It wouldn’t play and recordings or live shows due to an HDCP issue. Never seen this before. TV is a decent Toshiba bought late last year. My wife is absolutely fed up with all the bugs lately....

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    The old 'wife acceptance factor' will play a big role in just how much effort you will expend getting the box right! Signal attenuation, heat regulation, tuning adapter headaches, remote issues. The female of the species is not designed to go thru all this for tv. (Joking) Although there is no such phrase as 'husband acceptance factor '.

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes, but using water bottle caps is free and for now seems to be making a difference. But then again, we've got at least another week of the heat wave here, so for $50 I might end up getting the AC Infinity AIRCOM S7. Just not pleased about having to plug yet another device into an outlet.

8. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    There are USB plug ones that work, this is the one we bought that unfortunately says not available but it will give you the idea. (eta: we used it with our Bolt that has a USB connector)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OJN250

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If you don't want to spend $50, just spend $15 on [IN STOCK ON SEPTEMBER 21, 2020. NO PRE-ORDER] MULTIFAN S4, Quiet USB Cooling Fan, 140mm as I posted about at Bolt hardware inferiority? and a bunch of other places.

If you don't want use up another outlet, plug it into the USB port on the TiVo.

Ack! The above is OOS for awhile, you could also get a [IN STOCK ON AUGUST 25, 2020. NO PRE-ORDER] MULTIFAN S2, Quiet USB Cooling Blower, 120mm instead and try to be creative with it. Quiet USB fans lists some other well under $50 USB fan choices.

With the Bay Area heat wave, when I saw my living room was at 85 F, I didn't see ODTs go beyond 50 C (122 F).

JandS likes this.
  10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Thanks! I just saw Amazon has the Infinity S5 in stock. Granted I'd have to turn the fans on/off manually and it doesn't look as clean as the S7, but for $15 you get two 80mm USB fans. I do like that it will plug into my Bolt for power. Or could get the S1 which is one 80mm fan. Hmmm, so many choices. But I'm kind of leaning towards the S4 140mm fan for $15, it's also in stock at Amazon.

I'm also curious where you guys put the fan(s), on your Tivo.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  11. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    As I posted at TiVo offering Bolt Vox to replace Roamio Plus:
    I bought two AC Infinity Multifans and am using them to cool my Bolt+. See Temperature of Bolt. The S4 is blowing into the CableCARD area w/the door removed. The S2 blower is under the tiny exhaust of the Bolt+ and blowing to the side, sucking in from that exhaust hole.

And, their fans (at least the above two) let you daisy chain the USB/power connections.

12. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I have this one, it's not plugged in right now, in fact, I should probably do that, since it was 100 F degrees here. But it would cool the Bolt down by 5 degrees (Celcius) if I remember correctly, which might be enough. BTW if you have Amazon Prime, it says for me that it has free one-day shipping. Have a look.

13. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes I have Prime but unfortunately Amazon isn't providing fast shipping due to the virus.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That may depend on the product. I bought 4 items from different departments yesterday, all very un-essential, and all offered next day shipping.

15. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Turned on my TV tonight and once again there was no signal coming out my Bolt. Had to reboot and the signal is back. Checked the temp and it showed 66 degrees Celsius and it wasn't really very hot in the house today. Set a desk fan near it and got the temp down to 48 degrees. My USB fan won't get here until Saturday....Grrrrr. Still not sure how to place the USB fan on my bolt. Under it blowing up? Over it blowing up? On it's side blowing over and under?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    So, my AC Infinity USB powered S4 Multifan arrived today and I put it under my Bolt, with the cable card cover off. I'm a bit disappointed because the temp isn't going below 55 degrees Celsius. I tried with the fan dead center and then right under the Bolt's fan inlet, with no change. I even tried it with an outlet adapter to plug the fan into an outlet for a higher fan speed, but still didn't go below 55. I'll have to see what it does tonight after the Sun goes down.

17. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I put it underneath but with the fan sticking out slightly over the edges. I was trying to force more air thru the slits at the bottom of the casing. I have mine blowing upwards into the Bolt+.

I also am resting my S4 fan atop some slim rubber feet that came w/a network switch to elevate them a bit and allow for more airflow into the S4 fan.
    Others have claimed that the fan hole in the left rear corner is an outlet, not an inlet. My S2 blower is underneath that with the air from the fan hole being sucked out and blown to the side. If it's an inlet, then I'm fighting the stock fan.

18. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    cwerdna - the holes in the corner under the Bolt fan are definitely it’s air inlet. Blowing air from my S4 fan into it is helping the Bolt’s fan. I’ve positioned the fan more into that area, and put bottle caps under the fans rubber feet, for more airflow. Got the temp down to 50, but the inside of my house got cooler too. I think to get better cooling I might have to cut a hole for the S4 in the Bolt’s cover, to suck air out the top.

19. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    On my son's Bolt we put the fan directly under the cable card. Just now I'm not certain what his Bolt's temps are. But the cable card is so hot that I felt that was the best place for the fan.

So the fan supports the Bolt on the cable card side. On the other side I put a small wooden block so that the Bolt sits level.

20. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    In your situation that works, but I don't have a cable card in my Bolt. I'm using mine OTA.