HDMI Out to TV then Audio out from TV via optical - NO DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1???

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tangfj, May 14, 2013.

1. tangfj

tangfj New Member

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out here...

So I just got a new LG Google TV (GA7900) and per everything I've read the recommended setup to get the most out of the TV is to connect everything to the TV via HDMI and then output audio only via optical cable to a Dolby Digital capable receiver.

So along I went connecting my Apple TV 2 and then my TiVo Premiere XL4 to my TV and then when I started testing everything I noticed that the TiVo was always outputting sound in 2 channel stereo sound and not Dolby Digital 5.1 to my receiver. I know it's not the TV because when I play stuff from Netflix from my Apple TV 2 (connected in the same way) it outputs sound in Dolby Digital 5.1 to my receiver via the optical output from my TV.

Then to make sure I wasn't going insane, I tried connecting my TiVo directly to my receiver via HDMI and then I got Dolby Digital 5.1 sound back right away... I also tried connecting from TiVo directly to receiver via optical cable and also got 5.1 sound. Anyone know why I can't connect my TiVo to my TV and then output from my TV via optical cable to my receiver to receive Dolby Digital 5.1???

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Blackssr

Blackssr Member

Mar 4, 2004
    The best way to hook up everything is to the AVR and then to the TV. Let the AVR do the decoding and switching.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That's EXACTLY how I have my Premiere XL4 setup with a Panny plasma and an Onkyo receiver....and it works just fine.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have a new Sharp 80" inch and I hooked the HDMI for all my equipment directly to the TV and then used the TVs optical sound output to my Meridian 565 system and all worked great, a THX DVD reads THX on my Amp, the TiVo, when tuned to a 5.1 channel, also reads THX on the amp and sounds great.

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I am also doing things the same way and get the 5.1. However every so often it switch to mono for some reason and I have to set it back to 5.1. Make sure the TV is set for pass thru for the sound with out doing anything to it.

6. tangfj

tangfj New Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Thanks guys, it may be the TV that I have doesn't support pass through or the HDMI handshake it having issues. I'll try running other cables or worst case scenario I'll just run everything through my receiver.

7. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The TV probably can't handle 5.1. The correct way to do it is TiVo >>> AVR >>> TV -OR- TiVo >>> video processor >>> TV with another connection video processor >>> AVR. The latter is what I have.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your method is logical and I also feed the TiVo (and everything else) to my AVR set to passthrough on Video. I know my Sony TV passes up to DD5.1 from any input to the optical output and I lived with that until I went from a very nice JVC receiver with no HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V867 with 6 HDMI inputs. Feeding the TV DTS-MA still comes out as DD5.1.

I wonder where the TiVo gets the THX content?

9. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    LG TVs don't pass Dolby Digital from HDMI to the optical out, a lot of other manufacturers don't either. As others have said, run all HDMI through the receiver and let it pull the audio off directly. I have 5 HDMI sources going into my Onkyo receiver and just one cable to the TV so its tidier as well.

10. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Tony Chick, have you had any problems with the Onkyo and HDMI signals? Mine stopped sending anything above 480 to the TV.

11. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I do the same thing as tonychick I run my hdmi cables from my tivo,roku,and blu ray player to my onkyo 809 av receiver then just 1 hdmi cable from my onkyo av receiver to HDMI input 1 on my samsung tv and i get a great picture and sound!

12. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    No it works fine, and passes 3D. You can set the Onkyo to convert to a specific resolution or passthrough. I have mine set to upconvert everything to 1080p, maybe yours got set to 480 somehow?

13. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Tony, I was doing that for almost three years never had a problem and then all of a sudden things stopped working. It was a few months out of warrenty. So I ended up getting a cheap HDMI switch.

14. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    I can see switching done via the AVR or the TV. What if you have different video preferences for your different inputs - TiVo, Video Game, Blue-Ray player, etc? In that case, AVR would not be the best option, IMO. I have an older AVR that's not HDMI-capable, so that's clouding my viewpoint.

Right now, I have my XL4 connected via HDMI to the TV, and run the optical out to my AVR, and I get 5.1. I did have to enable Dolby audio out on the TV, because it was using PCM by default. I do get occasional audio dropout and sync issues this way (these are known issues on the TV), so maybe should just replace my AVR with a proper one :)

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not all equipment is equal. For me, I let each device set its own outputs and use the AVR as a big switch. As was posted, fewer cables is much cleaner. There is no difference in audio between my older receiver and newer AVR. I have no experience with on-line streaming except Pandora, so I can't comment on how well the audio from Amazon or Netflix would sound from the Premiere. Many people get good results in that area from an XBox or PS3.

16. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have an old Denon AV receiver that has no HDMI input, but does have optical audio input. My ATV3 works fine going ATV3-> LG TV via HDMI-> via optical out (dolby digital is received) to Denon. My Tivo HD however, does not work (meaning 5.1 audio, it's all stereo) as the OP mentioned with the same workflow. So it's not just the TV, it's something with the handshake/combo of Tivo HD, LG (a data point above suggests it works fine with Sharp) and HDMI passthrough. It does work (work meaning 5.1 audio) straight to the Denon receiver from the Tivo HD via optical, so that's how I have it currently set up.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had a screwy situation with a Mini. I had a TiVo Premiere and a Mini connected to the same TV. A Sharp 32”. Both via HDMI, then I had optical out from the TV going to an old AV receiver that only does optical. The Premiere worked fine but the Mini got no sound at all. However if I turned up the speakers in the TV itself I could hear the Mini through the TV so obviously it was getting something. I tried swapping the same cable from the Premiere to the Mini still didn't work. Same Tv, same input, same cable and the Premiere works and the Mini doesn't. Tried the same cable on an XBox 360 and it also worked. :confused:

This was just a temporary setup until I moved the Mini to it's final location, and it worked fine where it ended up, but it was a weird bug that seems to indicate some sort of handshake issue with the software or hardware.

18. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    It may be that all your TV HDMI inputs are not 5.1 capable, only the one you used for the Apple TV, try switching Tivo with Apple TV and see what it does...

19. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Good idea actually, but no dice. Same results.

20. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I use optical directly from tivo to avr and hdmi from tivo to tv. The optical output from my samsung tv won't pass along 5.1 sound from an hdmi input.