HDMI/no pix problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mlk43611, Jan 15, 2012.

1. mlk43611

mlk43611 New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Hello,

I have a Series 3 TiVo and Panasonic plasma, the Tivo for 5 years, the plasma for 4. No problems until now which is, no video/sound through the HDMI input, which is our normal input for tv viewing.

According to TiVo's System settings, the HDMI cord isn't hooked up, but it is. We also have a DVD/VCR hooked up, and can view/hear everything (live tv, Playing List, etc) if we have the input set to "component" and the DVD player turned on.

Rebooting the TiVo, unplugging the TiVo and tv didn't help.

Between the last time the HDMI worked correctly and discovery of the problem, the dog severed the USB cable for the network adapter. The USB port neighbors the HDMI port. I wouldn't have thought one would have affected the other, but the timing of the problem is suspicious.

Any suggestions -- not including those for the dog. ;)

Thanks.

-- mk --

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'd try the composite (R/W/Y) output of the Tivo just to make sure it is still working correctly. My experience with HDMI and Tivos has not been good so I only use it for my Blu-Ray player and my laptop. As for the neighboring USB/HDMI ports, my main TV has one of the two USB ports that is also labeled as HDMI. Check to see if yours is labeled in a similar fashion. The ports should be internally isolated from each other but if they go through the same IC it's always possible that there was a double failure.

3. mlk43611

mlk43611 New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I did see that we have a second HDMI port on the front of the tv, so I might be able to detect if the failure is in the cable or the unit.

Either way, gotta locate the tv stand and take the unit off the wall in order to access the plugs. Ugh.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Dog puts sideways pressure on connector in USB port, which stresses motherboard, possibly cracking solder connections of HDMI port next to it.

Besides HDMI being the tool of Satan, of course.

Dog may have been trying to protect you by performing exorcism.

5. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    My HD TiVos don't allow me to use the analog outputs and HDMI at the same time. If I try, I get an on-screen message to that effect. Every once in a while I'll see that message over the HDMI line very briefly although there's nothing hooked up to the analog outputs. I'm guessing that this is due to overzealous application of HDCP.

I'd try powering everything down and then back up using only the HDMI out from the TiVo before I tried to repair one of those crappy edge connectors.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

So disconnect the HDMI and see if everythings good coming out of composite (yellow) and component (red, green, blue).

If it is, then the TiVo is okay and it's the HDMI port or cable.

7. mlk43611

mlk43611 New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks all.

I plugged in composite cables and everything worked fine -- with and without the HDMI cable still plugged in.

I take it HDMI isn't too popular around here? I thought it was supposed to give a cleared picture.

8. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    It's not HDMI by itself, it's the Draconian HDCP crippleware that's being forced on all of us by law, whether we're criminals or not.

In theory, keeping things in the digital domain tends to eliminate some causes of signal degradation. In practice, one D/A-A/D conversion isn't likely to make a noticeable difference. So if you need more than one video output, you're not giving up anything by using the analog outputs.

9. mlk43611

mlk43611 New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Hello,

Thanks for the add'l info.

I realized my laptop had an HDMI port, so I plugged the HDMI cable into that, and it worked. So it appears that since the same HDMI cable isn't working when switched to the HDMI TiVo port, that it's the port on the TiVo that's damaged.

Yikes! Who knew that severing a USB cable could damage something else on the TiVo.

-- mk --

10. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Just curious if you have it plugged in and unplug the tivo power cord, do you get the welcome/powering up screen and then it goes black? That is what's happening to me and I need to know if a cracked HDMI Tivo Port would display this screen, just not anything else.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you mean if you unplug the TiVo power cord and then plug it back in?

Do you mean gettting the "Welcome, powering up" screen on the television when the only cable connecting the TiVo to the television is an HDMI cable?

12. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Yes and yes.

13. mlk43611

mlk43611 New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Spiejak -- No. I never got the welcome screen or anything at all while on HDMI input and unplugging/plugging in the TiVo and TV. It remained black.

14. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Thanks. I've connected component cables and at least I get a picture now.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That screen is built into the motherboard.

The "just a few more minutes" screen that follows it is on the hard drive.

Seeing that screen means the motherboard is capable of passing standard definition video out via the HDMI port.

If it were not for the possibility of HDCP screwing things up (in other words if you were getting this same behaviour with a composite video cable (yellow plug) or with component video cables (red, green, blue plugs), I'd venture the opinion that it's likely something is interfering with the motherboard and the hard drive communicating with each other.

That something could be a number of things, bad hard drive, bad software on good hard drive, bad cable (power or data or both) connecting hard drive, bad hard drive controller on motherboard, loose connection somewhere, or maybe even a failing power supply.

Does it show the welcome screen, then go black and stay that way, or after a while does it show the welcome screen again and then go black, lather, rinse, repeat?

Either way, disconnect the HDMI cable from the TiVo, connect it via composite or component video cables to the television, and see if you see anything different.

16. spiejak

spiejak New Member

Jul 31, 2006
    No, once the welcome/powering up screen goes away, it goes to the blue tv screen that says No Signal and stays that way.
    I've got the video and audio back by using the composite/component cords. Am I any worse off this way than with using a single HDMI? Would this point to bad HDMI port/connection?
    I've tested the cable on the PS3 and it works fine. Plugged the PS3 into the tivo HDMI slot on the tv and that works fine as well.
    Sorry I hijacked this post...

17. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have been having this same problem and in another thread others are also having it. However in my case I think it now has to do with my receiver that I use as a switch. It sends everything connected to the HDMI and componet inputs to the TV byway of HDMI. First I had problems with no sync when switiching back to the TivoHD. Now my comcast cable box is doing the same thing. I swapped the cable box with another and it also does the same thing. No picture when using the HDMI connections. If I use the componet connections everything works. I can connect the Tivo directly to the TV by way of HDMI and it works. What is strange is I have a media server connected to the HDMI port of the receiver and that still works. I can move that to any of the HDMI inputs and it works. So it seems there is something different about the signal that the Tivo and cable boxes put out.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So, if you don't use the HDMI connection the TiVo works just fine?