HDMI Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by weatherlover1, May 27, 2011.

1. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    U.P Mi
    We have our Tivo Premiere hooked up with the HDMI cable. The last few months it would sometimes take us turning the TV of and on a few times to get the picture to show up. Yesterday it would not show a picture till we rebooted the tivo and then it only worked until we turned the TV off. When we turn it back on again no picture. We unplugged the hdmi tried the 2nd port still nothing. I finally hooked up the video with rca coax cable and its working. We are going to try a new hdmi cable to see if that is the issue. I was just wondering if anyone else has had or is having this issue?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Try hooking up the RCA *AND* the HDMI cable (yes I know that's annoying), and when no picture is showing up, switch to the composite (RCA) inputs. Is the TV now saying that HDCP is not supported?

I have a TivoHD and that's what I'm seeing (I only recently got a TV that supports HDMI). I haven't tried turning off & on the TV multiple times.

It's really retarded that the Tivo doesn't put out the "your TV doesn't support HDCP" info ON THE HDMI OUTPUT.. at least that's what I see.. I get a blank screen, and see that info only when I use another input (WHILE HDMI is connected).

I may post about this in the S3 thread since it's off topic here -- but may be the same thing you're running into.

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Just connect up the component video cables and do away with the HDMI cable and its Digital Rights Managed big brother bugs. Video and audio quality is the same and the tivo does not need 'permission' to send each video or channel.

4. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Video and audio quality technically isn't the same -- one is digital (which the original recording is), and one is analog. Note, I am *not* someone who says digital is inherently better than analog.. but in this case, not having to do a conversion *could* make a difference... though presumably one is unlikely to notice a difference.. except I believe the audio is 5.1 via HDMI.

HOWEVER, in my case, it is actually more for cabling convenience than for video/audio quality. I *just* bought a new TV, and it having *3* HDMI connections vs 2 for others was one of the reasons I bought it.. and now I apparently can't even use the HDMI connections.. (I borrowed another HDMI cable, same problem..)

I still think the originator should try my suggestion to CONFIRM that is the problem.

5. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Digital audio out does not require HDMI, that is what the optical port is for.

The video signal is not 100% digital no matter what and most folks would agree that an analog 1080p signal presented properly is far better than an HDMI signal with service interuptions because you do not have permission to use the signal. There is VERY little to no difference in picture qualtiy if good connections and displays are used on both. It was just a suggestion to relieve oneself of the problems the DRM has brought you. A digital HDMI connection without all those problems would have been great. It is not to be.

6. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Am I mistaken in thinking that 1080p is only available via HDMI and NOT available via component? I thought this to be the case due to copy protection of 1080p video.

7. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    My understanding is that this is only true when HDCP is on and does a forced downgrade to 720p and in some cases 480p. If the content you are watching does not have HDCP enabled then there is no reason you can't view content at 1080p provided your TV is cable of displaying that resolution.

Starting this year Blu-Ray manufacturers are starting to make HDMI only players, with no more players being manufactured with component by the end of the year. And if I recall correctly any new Blu-Ray released starting December I believe can force a downgraded signal of 480p if HDCP is not detected. Currently it is only allowed to be downgraded to 720p if HDCP is not detected. Because the entertainment industry is always concerned about piracy, they basically wanted to make component obsolete by disallowing it the ability to provide a 1080p signal from your Blu-Ray player. Using component cables is currently one way to bypass copy-protection on Blu-Ray but maintain a 1080p signal and they wanted to close that method.

So to answer your question if the signal does not have HDCP enabled then both HDMI and component can display 1080p. If it is enabled then only HDMI can carry the 1080p signal.

EDIT: I was a little off on the Blu-Ray thing. Can't find the original article I read but, this is a summary: http://www.tvpredictions.com/bluhdmit011211.htm

And Component: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video#Analog_component_video

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I will stay out of the HDMI versus composite debate. Regardless the Original Posters HDMI should still work. I went through HDMI issues when I got my refurbished Series 3 and had to return several units.

So I will go back to the Original Poster's question. Have many people seen HDMI issues with their Premieres? Any other recommendations for him other than calling TiVo?

weatherlover1: Did you get the problem fixed? If so how?

Thanks,

9. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    What kind of TV do you have? Does it by chance have any proprietary tech for controlling other same brand equipment over HDMI? If so, turn it off.

10. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What were your issues? Were they that it said HDCP didn't work?

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sorry if my post was confusing. I do not have any current issues just wanted to re-focus on the Original Posters problem.

On the refurbished Series 3 units the HDMI ports just didn't work (got nothing on screen). I ended up returning 2 units with that problem. The unit I ended up with works fine.

Thanks,

12. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You would be mistaken. Tivo outputs 1080p just fine over component video cables. In our home it distributes those signals throughout the home fine as well. Something HDMI cannot do because of cable length restrictions.

The restrictions on playback of bluray players is one reason I will not own one. The only bluray reader I have is in one of my laptops and used to transfer films to our server for viewing on our tivo. I will not play the DRM virus infected HDMI game.

For sources available only on HDMI, HDMI to component converters are avialable, legal and of very high quality.

13. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Can we just stay on topic here? Geeze! The guy wants to know if he has a problem with his Premere and if anyone else has a similar problem then you have to talk about your refurbished series 3 and returning 2 units? Are you focusing on the OP's problem or hijacking the thread?:p

14. boxxr

boxxr New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I have the EXACT same problem. Mine started about a month ago. Usually just disconnecting the HDMI cable from the back of the Premiere and reconnecting brought the video back. I haven't tried RCA connection as of yet. I have an old Dell TV that only supports 720 i/p. I have Tivo set to 720P. If I connect my HDMI cable to my Blue Ray player it works, my only issue is with the Tivo and HDMI.

I don't have a solution but at least I can confirm that you are not alone.

-Karl

15. jjd416

jjd416 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I have the same problem with mine that is connected to a Yamaha receiver. I called TiVo support yesterday and was told the following:

The Premiere was originally designed to be hooked up directly to a TV and not to a receiver. TiVo has been seeing a lot of complaints lately with Premieres hooked up to a receiver as this hookup is becoming more popular. The Premiere sends out a "handshake" looking for a HDMI compatible device to receive its signal. The receiver must return the handshake. If it doesn't, then the Premiere doesn't send the picture. Support suggested unplugging the HDMI cable out of the back of the Premiere, waiting 15 seconds and then plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, then try doing the same by unplugging the HDMI cable out of the receiver that is coming in from the Premiere. If that doesn't work, then unplug the HDMI cable out of the back of the receiver that goes to the TV. And finally if that doesn't work, then unplug the HDMI cable from the TV.

I had to do this scenario this morning. It starting working after I did the second step of unplugging the HDMI cable out of the back of the receiver that was coming in from the Premeire.

My second Premiere is connected directly to my TV and I've never had the same problem with that setup.

Hope this helps!

16. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Having a THX certified box only connected to a TV....

I am using a Denon receiver with my Premiere without issue. Once again on these receivers, there are hdmi passthrough modes so you can watch TV without the receiver being on. Try turning these settings on/off. I leave mine off as I have no need to watch TV without my receiver being on.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :eek:
    Even in the 90's I didn't hook my devices directly to the TV. They went through a receiver. And for the last six years I've only had a handful of HDMI devices connected to the TV while the other dozens of HDMI devices went through receivers, switches etc.

Although I've yet to have any issues with my Premieres HDMI output even though in my main setup they are going through multiple HDMI switches, an Algolith HDMI Flea detail enhancer, a DVDO DUO scaler and a Denon receiver before going to the TVs HDMI input. If it came down to it, I would stop using my Premiere before I either use analog:thumbsdown: again or connect it directly to the TV.

18. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Not sure why TiVo is blaming the receiver. If the TiVo was hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI the TV still has to return the handshake too. The receiver would be no different.

19. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    "got nothing on screen" could be exactly what I'm talking about.. I "got nothing on screen" when hooking up with HDMI too.. because the Tivo thinks it can't do HDCP.. which I confirm by hooking both composite & HDMI at the same time.

20. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    With RF, composite, S-Video, and component, TiVos just put the signal on the wire, whether there's anything at the other end of the wire or not.

With HDMI, there has to be something on the other end of the wire that gives it permission to put the signal on there.

Which scheme do you think will be more susceptible to intermittent failures?