HDMI issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by scottc42, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1 of 12
    scottc42

scottc42 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Powers Lake, WI
    I have a TiVo HD that's been running into a Samsung LCD, via HDMI, for nearly 2 years, without a problem. A couple days ago, I got an error saying HDMI Not Available (HDCP problem). I've tried unplugging the cable, and rebooting both the display and the TiVo, with no success. Now my set does not recognize that anything is even connected through HDMI. Other inputs work okay. Is there some common problem to cause this to happen? Do HDMI ports or cables just go out sometimes?

2. Jul 5, 2011 #2 of 12
    grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Happened to me as well as lot sooner than 2 years of owning my TiVo HD. I tried calling TiVo support and they were of little to no help. Their solution was to just use component cables. Annoyed me to no end. I think I have read more than just your thread about the HDMI problem

3. Jul 5, 2011 #3 of 12
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 12
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Before trying a different HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the same cable at the TiVo jack and at the receiver jack. Perhaps it is no longer tightly in place. If that doesn't work, try a new (else a known to function perfectly) HDMI cable. (Keep your receipt to return a newly purchased one if trying it doesn't work.)

5. Jul 5, 2011 #5 of 12
    grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Not to hijack the thread, but I tried different cables, different ports on my tv and it made no difference. Worked fine with my dvd player, but the Tivo just won't take it - very annoying

6. Jul 5, 2011 #6 of 12
    smitzinok

smitzinok New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Same problem here It just started giving me the error HDMI Not Available a couple of weeks ago. Tried new cables etc.
    No help had to switch to component

7. Jul 5, 2011 #7 of 12
    scottc42

scottc42 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Powers Lake, WI
    Well after swapping cables around and trying different things, all I can come up with is that the HDMI port on my television must have died. In every other way the set seems to work just fine. This really sucks, as I had my TiVo HD running two sets in different rooms - one via HDMI and the other via Component. I don't have any other type of switch, so I guess I will be putting one of the sets on s-video for a while.

8. Jul 5, 2011 #8 of 12
    scottc42

scottc42 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Powers Lake, WI
    After further reading I find that loose HDMI ports on a Samsung LCD isn't all that uncommon. :thumbsdown:

9. dslunceford

dslunceford Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
  10. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Have the same HDMI issue. I tried the Tivo and 3 different displays and nothing. Tried 3 different cables too. My bluray and hddvd players work just fine. Running component isn't an option either. I have my tivo in the basement connected to the router and double ethernet run to all the tv's with an hdmi switch. No way in hell I can run component through walls up to the 2nd floor along with a 4th coax or optical cable. I haven't had tivo on the 2nd floor for half a year. I did manage to squeeze four RCA's up through a tube behind the fireplace for the living room tv. But it's killing my movie watching and my tivo is getting filled with movies and getting close to topping off. If I get a new tivo, I lose about 400gb of movies. But I need to get hdmi back somehow. Can't even go through google tv and my logitech revue any more.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I gave up on HDMI with my THD and Samsung LCD TV two years ago. The Tivo was locking up and rebooting frequently, which stopped when I went to components. My DVD player and Logitech Revue run fine with HDMI.

I never got any messages -- just lockups. However the tivo software updates in the last two years might have changed that.

Swapping in a known good HDMI cable is worth trying and also power cycling the TV or just cycling the HDMI connection.

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008