HDMI issue=Tivo issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by trlyka, Jul 28, 2009.

1. trlyka

trlyka Member

May 21, 2003

Advertisements

We have several Tivo's in our family. We bought my Dad a HD Tivo last year for Father's day and now he is getting the HDMI not supported message.

One of our Tivo units is a Series 3. It is hooked up to our 50" Samsung DLP TV. We started getting light pixelation on HD channels. It started getting worse as the weeks went by to where now it's just too annoying to watch. It might be ok for a few minutes, but it gets to where the picture freezes up every few seconds and the audio goes away all together. I work for the local cable company and I seem to be the only employee that has Tivo. Probably because most employees are happy with our DVR. We don't offer support for Tivo other then installing/troubleshooting cable cards. I had a tech come check my cable wires and check the cable cards. The signal was good and for arguments sake, they are coming this Saturday to replace the cable cards. I doubt it's a cable card issue or a signal issue.

Here's the funny part. We called Tivo support on Saturday. We told the Tivo tech that we were getting pixelation and audio problems on the HD channels. So the genius has us eject the cable cards and then asked us if the problem was still there.....:rolleyes:

Dude! Hello!.....We can't get HD channels with the cable cards out. So after a little more troubleshooting, Tivo didn't have a solution except that it might be a hard drive issue.

We have an external HD so we weren't ready to give up our recordings yet. But if it was a Hard Drive issue, wouldn't we have the reception problems on any channel?

This is annoying and I plan on making a huge stink if this doesn't get resolved. I'll be asking for a replacement for mine and my Dad's Tivo units :mad:

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Have you used the signal strength meter (Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> CC1 (or 2) -> Test Channels) to see if there're maybe signal drops on the channels with the pixelation problems? You can also check the Diagnostics screen to see your SNR, RS Corrected stats, etc.

As for the HDMI issue, have you tried unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable while the box is running? That should force a re-negotiation handshake.

3. trlyka

trlyka Member

May 21, 2003
    Yes, you mean that annoying high pitch signal sound? My husband did that when we were troubleshooting. It was at 100% :confused:

We have also tried unplugging the HDMI in all sorts of scenerios. I don't think it's a handshake issue, I really feel it's the processing of the HD signal through the HDMI port. We will try the component cables sometime this week.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Change out the HDMI cable. It can make a difference.
    Over the last five years I've used over 70 HDMI cables and occasionally I get one that can cause problems. And it might work perfectly fine with something else but can cause issues with a specific device. So I end up changing cables and the problem goes away.

5. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001

Advertisements

Then you don't understand HDMI at all.

The pixellation is almost certainly a signal issue (perhaps specific to that device), possibly a hard drive issue.

The "no HDMI" issue is almost certainly a cable issue, perhaps a connector issue on the TV (assuming nothing else changed, like this is the first time you're using HD over the HDMI cable or something).

6. darksurtur

darksurtur Member

Jan 2, 2008
    100% might be too strong (check the FiOS pixelation threads). I have two suggestions. One, add a coax splitter between the signal source and the TiVo and see if the situation improves. Two, try a new HDMI cable, as recommended above. Also, try a component cable; if it works fine, chances are it's a handshake issue and a new HDMI cable might help.

7. trlyka

trlyka Member

May 21, 2003
    Ok, so we will try another HDMI cable. I had figured that if it was a HDMI cable issue, that the reception issues would be on all channels and not just the HD ones. So we can get reception problems on only the Hi def channels if there is a problem with the hard drive or the HDMI cable? I got a suggestion to systematically eliminate each input. So we will probably try that too.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    You are likely dealing with two different problems - assuming your descriptions are accurate and you were watching HD channels before with no problems.

1) You likely have a bad HDMI cable or connector - this is the HDMI handshake issue only.

2) You likely have a bad signal (too strong/too weak) - this is the pixellation issue. Alternatives are bad cable cards, or a bad hard drive.

Again, this all assumes you've described things accurately, and that you were watching HD channels before using the same setup without any issues.

9. brucemwilliams

brucemwilliams Grand Newbie

Jun 12, 2007
    My thoughts,

Use tivo desktop and transfer the file to your computer. Watch the file in the same scene where you "know" there was pixellation issues. If you can see the pretty Moneť like scene on your computer, you know it has nothing to do with HDMI.

10. trlyka

trlyka Member

May 21, 2003
    We are going to try using the component cables. So hopefully we will get some answers. We scheduled the cable tech to come to replace the cable cards tomorrow morning. I was going to cancel, but maybe I will let them get replaced. Process of elimination........ Thanks for the suggestion :)

11. trlyka

trlyka Member

May 21, 2003
    The cable tech came out on Saturday 8/1. He was ready to replace the cable cards. He started out by pulling the splitter from behind the wall. He said he received a slight shock from the main cable and determined it was a bad cable. He insisted that was our reception issue and advised the line be replaced. He also looked at the cable from the PED and said it was very old and with all the signal needed now and days (especially for HD channels) that it wasn't sufficient for the services we have. Besides, since he received a shock, there was a good chance the line was cut or exposed somewhere.

Our association maintenance person explained that all the cables were installed prior to the wall/sheetrock installation (inside the walls vs. out), so it was more difficult to replace. We are on the 1st floor, so there is a good chance that the replaced line will need to be run outside the building and then run into our unit from the outside in some way. Not my preference, but there are 2 condo units on the 2nd floor where the wire runs through their attics before it drops down into the wall and into our unit. The tech would need access to their attics in order to run the line inside.

A cable tech is coming this Thursday. So we will see what he says about the best way to replace the line. I hope this is the solution :confused:

The most perplexing thing is that only HD channels are affected by the pixelation and freezing up. I hope the Tivo is found not guilty :)

I will post after the line is replaced.

12. trlyka

trlyka Member

May 21, 2003
    .....The history.....TC=Trouble Call

This all started because we had pixilation/freezing on HD channels only.....

1st TC the tech determined we needed to replace the cable cards. The tech set up another TC.

2nd TC the tech said it was not a problem with the cable cards, but instead said it was a problem with the outside cable wire. The tech set up another TC.

3rd TC tech said it was not the outside wiring, but it was a problem with the cable cards but he did not have the cable cards with him. The tech set up another TC.

4th TC tech said he only had 1 M card however we need 2 S cards. The tech set up the 5th TC for 8/8 which was the next day. While on the phone with his dispatcher, he stated that the time and day for the appointment was for tomorrow (which was Saturday 8/8) from 11-3.

I checked around 12:p30M to confirm the appointment. Not to my surprise, the appointment was actually set up for 8/14. So the tech never showed up on 8/8. Even though the tech told us it was 8/8, I didn't fight it. Being that I work there, it's more effort to try and squeeze in a tech for the same day then it was to just wait until the next day. They had a tech supervisor come out on Sunday 8/9. He did EVERYTHING possible. He changed the cable cards, brought in another cable line from the PED, changed the fittings/splitter. We still had the pixilation on the HD channels :confused: He said he would have a maintenance tech out today to check the PED and replace it if necessary as well as check the signal further down the line. The signal seemed fine at the PED and at the splitter in the house.

So here we are. No solution and still pixilated HD channels. This is the only input we have an issue with. On 1 TV, we have a single tuner Tivo, a Motorola HD cable box, a Series 3 Tivo w/2 cable cards and 500G Tivo certified expander. We also have a Slingbox hooked up on this TV too. All inputs look fine except the Series 3 HD channels. We think it might be the expander causing the problem. We have to finish transferring some recordings that we don't want to lose to our HD Tivo in the bedroom. Once that's done, we will remove the expander and see what happens.

My Husband found a post on here from someone with the exact same issue (pixilation on HD channels only) so I'm glad we aren't the only ones. I think he purchased a 1 terabyte expaander and that seemed to work fine. As much as I don't want to, we will be getting a new expander if the one we have now is causing the pixilation issues.