HDMI HDCP non-compliance issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ekrob, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ekrob

ekrob New Member

Mar 4, 2007

Advertisements

I recently purchased HD XL and before I purchased the 75 ft HDMI cable I needed to connect my Samsung HDTV to it (in addition to the Pioneer HDTV I already had connected with component cables) I tested both sets of cables on the Pioneer, connected both an HDMI and component cables to the Pioneer and everything worked fine. Now when I removed the HDMI cable from the Pioneer and connected the HDMI cable to the Samsung (albeit a different HDMI cable), while still leaving the component cables connected to the Pioneer, I get a message on the Pioneer set saying that I have to remove the HDMI cable because of HDCP non-compliance. Strangely enough,I am able to view the TIVO signal perfectly on the device the HDMI cable is connected to, the Samsung HDTV. So now the only way I can watch TIVO on the Pioneer set is to first remove the HDMI cable from the TIVO. Any thoughts?

2. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    DRM sucks?

3. ekrob

ekrob New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    So I have a solution. I bought an HDMI splitter and am sending HDMI signal to both sets. It works perfectly. What these a-holes think they're accomplishing with their annoying copy-protection schemes, I do not know (other than helping the splitter manufacturers, I suppose).

4. MeStinkBAD

MeStinkBAD Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Tucson, Az
    This is an issue w/ the Samsung I'd guess. Perhaps there is a setting to ignore "HDCP compliance" when using HDMI. You could also try rebooting the TiVo. I dunno. The TiVo doesn't actually invoke HDCP for any copy protection.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

I dunno what "invoke" it does, but the TiVo is sensitive tot he HDCP handshake. Mien s# crashed repeatedly when I ran the HDMI cable through the Onkyo receiver and turned the HDTV off. Running the HDMI cable direct from TiVo to HDTV has been solid.

We get to pay for this "feature" to keep us from being hypmotized and commanded to put movies on the Internet. :mad:

6. Raygun

Raygun New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I had a similar problem with a HP Plasma, I have a HDMI splitter connected to the Tivo, all TVs have 50' HDMI cables. It worked fine on the Vizio and old Samsung Plasma, the HP would never get a picture unless I connected it directly to the HDMI on the Tivo.
    So initially I used HDMI for the HP and component for the Vizio and Samsung.
    Every once in a while I would get an HDCP error, to clear it I would have to turn the HP to it's HDMI port and the error would go away.

To allow me to have all TVs on HDMI I got a HDMI externder from Monoprice (get the 3394 PREMIUM Metallic HDMI Active Equalizer Extender Repeater - Extend Upto 100FT) and installed it after the splitter, before the long cable.
    The Tivo shows the HDCP connection OK, and everything is good.
    The old Samsung croaked and I replaced it with a Sony, I had to put an extender on that connection too. Several months later I had to put one on the Vizio too, so get enough for all TVs and a spare.

I don't know how the extender works, but it seems to eliminate HDCP problems, hmmm. I tied several HDMI extenders from Altex and Circuit City to no effect.