HDMI failing periodically?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by self, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1 of 11
    self

self New Member

Jul 10, 2002

Advertisements

A couple of times now, I've turned on my system, and had no output on the TV. Switching away from the S3 and back hasn't helped; I've tried unplugging the HDMI cable from the S3, but doing that a couple of times seems to result in it rebooting :).

I've got a JVC TV, and a Sony A/V receiver; both have HDMI (of course :)).

Any ideas what to do next time it happens?

Thanks!

2. Nov 5, 2007 #2 of 11
    self

self New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Did it again. And thanks to this behaviour, I do not have either Chuck or How I Met Your Mother.

That's twice in one night. Either my box is breaking, or there's a very serious bug in the TiVo software.

WTF is going on here? Anyone?

3. Nov 5, 2007 #3 of 11
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Someone mentioned that pressing the format button on the front of the box fixed it for them. Why don't you try that?

A lot of people seem to be having this HDMI sync issue so I would expect Tivo to fix it in the near future.

4. Nov 5, 2007 #4 of 11
    Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I've seen it happen just once, after the 9.1 upgrade. I remember other people reporting the same issue and also saying that 9.2 didn't fix the problem.

Seems like a software bug, and not a problem with your setup.

Ivo

5. Nov 5, 2007 #5 of 11
    self

self New Member

Jul 10, 2002

Advertisements

I did try pressing the format button on the TiVo. I in fact pressed every single button (on the box).

I think the only thing I didn't try was powering off the TV.

6. Nov 6, 2007 #6 of 11
    cconnell

cconnell New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I have a similiar problem. After some research I am pretty sure it is the HDMI handshake problem. Until there is a new version the only solution is to use component video. When it happens the only way I can fix it is by rebooting the Tivo by pulling out the power cord. Good luck.

7. Nov 6, 2007 #7 of 11
    self

self New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    sigh

Okay, based on everything I've read, I moved the S3 TiVo to the component and optical audio inputs on the a/v receiver. And then changed the Harmony remote's setup. It seems to work so far; let's see if it lasts for more than a day -- if it doesn't, I guess it's the S3 TiVo...

Forgot to add: thanks for all of the help! I am deeply grateful.

8. Nov 7, 2007 #8 of 11
    lns4667

lns4667 Lionel

Mar 3, 2005
    West Palm Beach
    I have had the same handshake issues since 9.1. When this happens I put both
    tuners on an analog channel and cycle the power on the TV. I can then tune to
    the digital stations again with no problems.

9. Nov 7, 2007 #9 of 11
    tomers

tomers New Member

Aug 14, 2006
    The same problem has occurred with my TiVoHD 3 times now in the last 3 days. I have the 9.1 software and an HDMI connection to my TV. The background screens of the menus goes black and I can't watch live TV or any recorded shows, but the menus still work. I noticed in the System Information screen that the value in the HDMI Status field is blank when it normally says something like "HDCP enabled".

I've been rebooting the TiVo to get it back, but when it happens next time I think I'll try the solution in post #8. That will be a lot less painful of a workaround.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Be sure to sign up for 9.2 @ http://www.tivo.com/priority/. That doesn't eliminate the HDMI sync issue, but it does eliminate a number of others.

11. klondikejim

klondikejim New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Cordova, Alaska
    I dumped my HDMI due to these issues. Having problems with one of my cable cards, waiting on a revisit to fix that, and having the HDMI sync issues at same time really make troubleshooting hard. I actually saw a tivo message when i was losing the sync once, said something about copy protection or something, hard to read as it was flickering like changing resolutions, and then screen went black. I had to compeltly rewire my home theater, (jvc hdmi reciever, and Panasonic TV) but no sync issues at least using component. Any diffference in video quality skipping HDMI?