HDMI connection not permitted?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by vtwep, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 #1 of 52
    vtwep

vtwep Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Manassas, VA

Advertisements

Hi,

Switched to FiOS back in April/May, and bought the Tivo Premieres at the same time. About 3 months ago, got the Onkyo SR608 receiver. HDMI from Tivo Premiere running to receiver, HDMI out from receiver running to TV (Sony 60XS955).

Every once in a while, I would get a slight pause when switching to a channel and see the "HDMI connection not permitted screen", but it would last for about a second or so, then the channel would come on.

Once or twice since April/May, it stayed on. I would reboot the Tivo and unplug the TV for a bit. When I put everything back on - all was fine.

Yesterday afternoon, the "HDMI conneciton not permitted" message came back on. Now, I can't get it off. I haven't changed anything in the set up. A reboot of the Tivo and TV did not help.

Any ideas? I just found it odd that this suddenly stuck after months of the same setup.

Thanks.

2. Feb 5, 2011 #2 of 52
    audioscience

audioscience OG Lurker

Feb 10, 2005
    New England
    I haven't seen that. Is the message coming from the Tivo or the receiver?

Have you connected via component to see if everything works otherwise?

3. Feb 5, 2011 #3 of 52
    vtwep

vtwep Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Manassas, VA
    Thanks for the reply. it's coming from the Tivo. I can see the menus, etc, but when I try to watch a recorded show or live tv, I get that message (it has the Tivo guy icon, so I know it's from the Tivo).

I now have the Tivo hooked via HDMI directly to the TV, and an optical audio to the receiver. I have the same problem. When I unplug the HDMI on the back of the Tivo, I can hear the audio through the receiver. As soon as I plug it back in, the message is still on the TV and the audio goes out.

Under the system settings, I found "HDCP not enabled" next to the HDMI status. That has to be the problem.

I have not tried component cables (don't have any long enough at this point).

So, I guess I need to see if I have a setting on my TV that I can change? Any other thoughts/fixes to try?

Thanks.

4. Feb 5, 2011 #4 of 52
    vtwep

vtwep Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Manassas, VA
    Update: unplugged the HDMI cable from my Blu Ray player (goes to reciever HDMI in; reciever HDMI out to TV) and plugged it into the Tivo. Tivo is now working.

Is it possible the HDMI cable that I'm using for the Tivo has gone bad?

5. Feb 5, 2011 #5 of 52
    vtwep

vtwep Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Manassas, VA

Advertisements

another update:

switched HDMI inputs on the TV. Tivo direct to video 8 now, and receiver HDMI into video 7 now.

Tivo works fine. When trying to watch something through the receiver onto TV video 7 (former Tivo) input, I can't get a picture. It keeps flashing in and out and never "catches".

So, from where I'm sitting, it seems as if maybe my HDMI input (TV video 7) has gone bad?

Is that possible?

6. Feb 5, 2011 #6 of 52
    TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I had a similar problem when I hooked up my Premiere. I have an HDMI switch to change between my Tivo, Xbox, etc. I switched the cables to my Tivo and Xbox, and it fixed things.

My guess is that occasionally you'll run into an HDMI cable that is good enough for passing the picture, but the signal might have just enough noise that the HDCP information isn't passed cleanly enough for the Tivo to be happy with it.

In my case (and it sounds like in yours too), changing the cable fixed things. So as long as it keeps working, I'm not worrying about it.

7. Feb 5, 2011 #7 of 52
    vtwep

vtwep Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Manassas, VA
    Thanks. I guess I'll just go with everything through the receiver and into the TV's one HDMI input that still works. The TV only has two HDMI inputs, so if this one goes bad, I suppose I'll need a TV. Time to start saving.

8. Feb 7, 2011 #8 of 52
    GreenMonkey

GreenMonkey New Member

May 28, 2008
    When troubleshooting HDMI problems, always start up the display first. Then power up components.

So you'd want to power up the TV, then the receiver. That might help prevent the problem.

HDMI Copy protection making our lives more annoying!

9. Feb 7, 2011 #9 of 52
    patnmike427

patnmike427 New Member

Sep 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Incredibly simple solution:

IF you always use an A/V receiver for your audio, yank the HDMI cable out, and use high-quality component cables between the TiVo and the TV.

Component video cables will easily carry full, glorious 1080p high definition video, with NONE of the HDCP "handshake" issues that drive us crazy!

Don't believe for a moment the marketing hype surrounding HDMI: It's nothing more than a convenient way to carry digital video/audio between components on a single cable, period.

10. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    A friend of mine had an HDMI input on his plasma TV go out, so I suppose it's possible.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    then you have to rely on the digital to analog converter in the TiVo to convert the digital signal to analog. And then then TV needs to convert it from analog to digital. The resulting picture can be a direct result from how good or bad those converters are.

Personally I will be glad when all analog connections are dropped from devices.

12. Mike_Wolf

Mike_Wolf Associate

Sep 27, 2010
    Toms River,...
    What I generally do is bypass the hdmi switch/reciever all together and use the tv's built in inputs as the switch. Its possible that either the reciever or cable wasn't passing the hdcp handshake signal cleanly enough between the tv and tivo.

13. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    Component video IS digital, not analog as suggested by aaronwt...no conversions will be done. I dropped hdmi between my Tivo and my Denon receiver and ran both a component video cable and a digital optical cable to the Denon. HDMI connects the Denon with the display. Video/audio quality is EXACTLY the same as HDMI w/o the HDCP handshake problems.

14. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Component video is analog. It can be high definition and it can look very good. Nonetheless, you have a digital to analog conversion when you output HD content over component cables. You then have another analog to digital step when you view HD from a component cable source on a fixed pixel display (such as plasma, LCD, or DLP).

15. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah component is analog. I'm also fairly certain HDMI is required for 1080p (at least for 1080p/60 which isn't supported by TiVo). 1080i works fine via component though.

16. ColdnFrosty

ColdnFrosty New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I have seen seen that message numerous times. The switching of channels is also very slow on the Premiere - 3 to 4 seconds compared to instantanious with the Series 3. I don't know if there is a relationship there.

17. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I have had similar problems on some of my setups. Practically always, it was resolved by changing the HDMI cable. Definitely worth a try.

18. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    When it happened to me I fixed it by rebooting the TV. I guess the HDCP module in the TV was confused.

Whatta world we have come to live in. Remember that you have paid for this feature.

19. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yeah and unless the program source and your fixed pixel display are EXACTLY the same format and pixel count, there are plenty of other conversions going on as well between the source and your display. Are YOU prepared to say that any of them are BETTER than the d/a converter in the Tivo?

Besides, many displays that have component, ATSC and NTSC tuners as well as VGA and other connections for various display resolutions do at least some of thier processing in the analog domain. Almost all are analog at the last stage for ampltide or brightness of the individual pixel.

You are picking nits.

The OP has a problem with the DRM disabled HDMI connection and a working solution was suggested that results in a perfect picture and no handshaking issues. When the studios brainwash all the masses to give up on all analog connections, you will only watch what they want you to see when they want you to see it and for the price they determine at the time you decide to view.

20. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    jcthorne,

I'm pretty sure I suggested that component video cables could provide acceptable results.:) I merely corrected windsurfdog's erroneous statement that component video was digital.