"HDMI connection not permitted" / Grey channel screens - Work arounds

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Myphsto, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 13
    Myphsto

Myphsto New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Pewaukee,...
    Fall update 9.1 on series 3 has caused a new issue with HDMI that wasn't there in the previous version. I'm sure there are several posts here about it, but since it seems to be some sort of HDMI sync issue perhaps a thread with the details about the TVs connected to your S3 would help with possible work-arounds until Tivo fixes the issue.

With my Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY connected via HDMI after sitting for several hours unused (TV soft powered off) Tivo will give the error 'HDMI connection not permitted.' watching most recordings. If I were to go to live TV instead of trying to watch a recording I either get grey channel screens or the same 'HDMI connection not permitted' message.

Hard power cycling the TV fixes the issue for me, but this never happened in previous versions of the software. Since this seems to happen every day, I'm sure it's taking a toll on my plasma TV...

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 13
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" Plasma. If I change inputs I get this message with a grey screen, but then it works normally. I had never even seen the message before the update.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 13
    mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Pioneer PDP-4380HD plasma. I don't think I ever saw the HDMI connection not permitted message but I do get the grey screens since the 9.1 update

4. Oct 9, 2007 #4 of 13
    Myphsto

Myphsto New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Pewaukee,...
    Seems the grey screen for live TV is due to a cable card issue. I'm having this exact issue with either of my cable cards (random after reboot) explained in the "S3, 9.1 and 2nd Cable Card Function" thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=369057

For the HDMI connection not permitted it still happens for digital recordings at random for me, hard reset of my TV fixes it. Seems 9.1 is full of bugs :mad:

5. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Not sure if it will help, but have a look at this post on another thread.

6. jsnow789

jsnow789 New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    We started having this problem yesterday as well... I couldn't understand why it started all of a sudden... then I remembered that our housekeeper had been here on Wednesday... she dusts behind the tv and HDMI cables were all lose. I really wish HDMI had locking connectors.

7. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    The only change on my end was the software update. I don't do dusting. :p

8. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I get this problem every time I switch from one HDMI source to another -- but it's usually only for a split-second, not even long enough for me to read the second line of the error message. Then I get the image without any problems.

Is that still a problem -- or is it only a problem if the message persists and I never see a signal?

9. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    We've seen exactly the same thing ever since we purchased our S3 so I don't think it's a new problem. It seems pretty normal.

10. CrownSeven

CrownSeven New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Every since the 9.1 update, I'm also experiencing the 'HDMI not Permitted Issue' on both of my cable cards - the cards are SA's.

11. jtseltmann

jtseltmann New Member

May 22, 2005
    I am seeing this problem with the HDMI connection only on one of my TiVoHD's...not the other. I only see it when I initially turn on the tv. I get the message for a second then it does away. I get it ONLY on my LCD in the bedroom not the LCD in the familyroom..both using HDMI...

not a problem because it does work but strange...

12. gibbyscott

gibbyscott New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    well the problem is NOT with the 9.1 software... because I have the same issue on my 8.1 software. I did not get the new update... my fix is to reboot the tivo, then it seems fine.

13. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    This is bizarre. The exact opposite happened to me.
    From 10/2 http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5560103&&#post5560103

:confused: