HDMI cable question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Lenonn, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Lenonn

Lenonn Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    I have a question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer. My parents have a Panasonic TH-42PX60U television. I am going to get them a TiVo HD this weekend and hook it up. However, I will need to purchase an HDMI cable. It was recommended to me to get a cable off a website called monoprice.com.

The problem that I have is I'm not quite sure what type of HDMI cable to get. Male to male, or a male to male with a female extension. I'm not sure what type of HDMI ports are on the TiVo HD and the Panasonic plasma television. Does anyone know what type of cables I will need?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You want male to male. Also, you should try to get the right length that you need. The longer the HDMI cable the more you have to worry about quality. But if you are dealing with a short cable, then any of the ones on monoprice will work just as good as any other cable. The 28AWG hdmi male to male cables should work just fine in most cases. That tv appears to have 2 hdmi ports so it will work just fine with hdmi.

3. Lenonn

Lenonn Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    Thank you for the advice.

4. Toeside

Toeside Circa Dec 2005

Feb 14, 2002
    St Louis, MO
    If you want a good quality cable without the wait, go to your nearest Apple store and buy an XtremeMac HDMI cable. It's $20 and is 6ft long.

If you don't mind the wait and want to save $7 (I think), Monoprice.com is a great online vendor. I've purchased several cables and other products from them.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can get a 6ft cable for $4.79 from monoprice atm. Then add about 3-4 bucks for shipping. If I were the original poster I would hook up the component and composite audio cables for now (it will come with these w/ the TiVo HD). Then when the hdmi cable comes in, replace the setup with the one single hdmi cable.

6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006