HDMI bad getting a refurb...What about my Hard drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jd03ctd, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jd03ctd

jd03ctd New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Hello all!
    Well my hdmi port went bad on my tivo HD and Tivo offered me a refurb for 49.00. I am currently using a samsung eco 1TB drive in my unit. When I get the new one can I just put my drive in it and put the original drive back in the old one to send back? I am a lifetime subscriber I need that subscription to remain intact.
    Thanks so much,
    Jim

2. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    The subscription is not tied to the drive.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Do you not have the original drive to put back in the one you are returning?

Your sub will be fine as mentioned (TiVo will transfer it to your new TSN) but since you'll be moving that 1TB drive to the new box you'll have to run a Clear & Delete Everything in order for it to work properly. That means losing your recordings, setting up your SPs again, etc. So you might want to start downloading anything you want to keep before you move the drive.

4. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    If you've replaced the hard drive in that TiVo, then I would assume that would void the warranty and TiVo wouldn't replace it. Then again, I could be wrong. . . .

5. jd03ctd

jd03ctd New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    How would they know? I've already called and they approved the swap.

6. SoBayJake

SoBayJake Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I haven't tried this, but if it's the exact same model number, can't he put his old drive back in the old TiVo, put the new drive in the new TiVo, and be done with it?

(Note: warranty issues remain, so I'm not covering that here).

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They know as soon as the box connects after it's been upgraded. I went through this almost 3 years ago where they would not trouble shoot my box since they could see that the hard drive had been changed since it showed more recording hours. So I just took it back to Circuit City and exchanged it.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Tivo can see the hard drive info in their connect logs, but I've seen several posts on the forum that they are lenient about this. Obviously if there is a logical connection between your problem and the hard drive, you should not expect leniency. As a precaution, you could reinstall the original drive and force connection to TiVo several times, so the last several entries in their log will show the original drive. However, if they've already approved a warranty replacement, it seems like you're beyond that issue.

As windracer said, you will have to clear and delete, and that also means your CableCARD(s) will have to be re-paired by the Cable Co., usually requiring a service call.

9. IMMALUZER

IMMALUZER New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I'm in a similar boat. My Tivo HD XL HDMI port went dead and Tivo is sending a replacement unit. The one I have now is filled to the brim with content and I don't want to lose it.

I was hoping that I could just open the replacement and swap drives and be done with it but from what I've been seeing that may not work?

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It will not work, no way around that unless you xfer what you can to your PC or another active TiVo.

11. IMMALUZER

IMMALUZER New Member

Dec 20, 2010
    That is unfortunate. Thanks for the reply!

12. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    what a royal pain in the *ss. First the HDCP goes after a couple years of working flawlessly (well a few minor unrelated hiccups). I switch all sorts of cables from the cat6 extenders to the solid 30ft hdmi cable to trying a different monitor altogether. It was at that point I just got absolutely nothing, not even the HDCP error. Ran through the different cabling one more time. Did a bunch of restarts throughout the processes. Finally had to spend 3 hours running five RCA's (and of course they are only thick guage) behind a fireplace and into the basement. Now up and running again, but this screws up my whole hdmi switching thing not to mention the cable run looks like crap, and the cat6 extenders I dropped coin on are useless. So Tivo is definitely getting a call after seeing this is a fairly common issue, and now I have to try and download about 600gb worth of saved movies where I've been unsuccessful in getting the software up and running in the past. Not to mention my Sunday went to hell along with a couple of nights trying to rectify things.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What do you mean the "HDCP goes"? I only very recently got a HD TV, and my TivoHD has not been able to connect to it -- it says the TV does not support HDCP. I have tried the orig HDMI cable I got with my Tivo (maybe it came with my S3 which is currently dead) and one I borrowed.. basically the same thing.. (Actually I think I got a black screen entirely with the orig cable.. with the other cable, I THOUGHT it was working, but once I went to live TV or tried to play a program, it said VIA OTHER OUTPUTS that HDCP was not supported).

I'm wondering if this could be a *TIVO* issue.

14. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Just what you saw, HDCP not supported. From poking around here it's a known issue. Think there were like 40 or so replies of people with the issue in one of the threads I found about it. I got that error and then finally nothing. Tried it on multiple displays. HDDVD works just fine and through component works fine. Next is a call to tivo about it.

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Please update the thread if you call Tivo. I have been blaming my TV, but maybe it is the Tivo.. Though searching on TiVo's site yesterday, I did find some info that I will re-try likely tomorrow.. Paraphrased

1) have Tivo on (duhh) AND the TV on *ALREADY ON THAT HDMI INPUT* when you plug in the HDMI cable

Supposedly some TVs only do the HDCP handshaking stuff when the TV is already on that input. While I'm virtually certain I did try this before, I will try it again, definitely making sure I'm on HDMI at the time.. (I *may* have done it in the past when the TV was on either a composite or component input.)

Oh, and while the TiVo saying HDCP not supported obviously tells you the problem, you can apparently check the same thing in Tivos menus too.

16. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, I tried again today.. I thought that I was ready to 100% blame the Tivo, but now it seems like part of the blame is on my TV (LG 42" Plasma that I got *around* a month ago..) I don't see the receipt in my pile of stuff at the moment to figure out if I'm still within the time to return it.

With the first cable (the one that came with either my S3 or TivoHD), I thought I was having exactly the same probs.. Luckily, the TV lets you switch to the input via a different menu than the regular input button (which switches between the inputs that are currently connected -- with an insanely long delay until it switches)..

So I tried another cable, and could swear that I was having the same prob at first.. then it seemed to work.. and I realized that it's similar to what I said above -- the TV is only telling the Tivo that it can do HDCP when the TV is on the HDMI input.

So when I am using the input I use most of the time -- one of the component ones at the moment -- for my non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder (since it used to be my "workaround" for fewer inputs on the TV PLUS I very frequently dub stuff to it to watch faster than realtime... Plus, the TV doesn't have analog audio out so I *have* to use this one if I want to use my headphones on the treadmill, without a whole bunch of manual swapping around of the headphone input for the transmitter).

I would like to use HDMI on the TV *too* so I can switch to another input to watch something off the Tivo while the other one is recording.

So I don't wear out the HDMI connections, I think I want a cheapo HDMI switch or even an "on/off" button (no remote needed) to virtually unplug HDMI without actually unplugging it.

Does anyone else have their Tivo connected via HDMI to their TV *AND* to another device, and are still able to watch the Tivo output (through the other device) when the TV is NOT on that HDMI input?

I'll try the ORIGINAL cable again (I borrowed this other one) and see if it was me not figuring all of this out, or somehow the cable really is involved.

17. jjon2121

jjon2121 Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix
    Before I got a ViewHD 1x2 HDMI Splitter, I had my tivo connected to one tv via component and another via hdmi. The component signal would not come through if the power to the other device was on but not tuned to the hdmi input. Try turning off the power to the hdmi device.

18. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What do you mean?

The TiVo is connected to the TV via HDMI, and to my DVD recorder.. I want to be able to leave the HDMI connected to the TiVo when the TV is on a DIFFERENT input (so, e.g. I can dub from my TiVo to my DVD recorder). That doesn't work now, because the TiVo says HDCP not enabled when I'm on another input.

I'm not sure what you mean, since turning off the TV *or* the TiVo would not solve my problem (except PERHAPS unattended dubbing.. but then I couldn't set the end time for the recording).

19. jjon2121

jjon2121 Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Phoenix
    My situation was different than yours because I was outputting to two TVs. My HDMI output was going to a Vizio 37" LCD. The component output was going to a Sony 40xbr800 (HD compatible tube-type) TV.

When I was using the Vizio as a computer monitor and turned on the Sony TV, I got no signal from the Tivo. As soon as I switched the Vizio to HDMI, the component signal on the Sony came up. If I turned off the power to the Vizio, the signal on the Sony came up.

Also, once the signal on the Sony came up, it would stay up as long as I kept the input on component. No matter what the status of the Vizio.

Correct me if I am wrong. Your problem appears to be your TV won't recognize the component signal from your Tivo-DVD recorder as long as the HDMI cable from the Tivo is plugged into the TV.

If you unplug the HDMI cable from the TV, but not the Tivo, does the component output work? If so, maybe a HDMI AB switch between the Tivo and the TV could make the Tivo think the TV was turned off.

20. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    When my S2ST died out of warranty, I got a 49.00 refurb S2DT from Tivo as a replacement. Going to two tuners was a nice uprade. I didn't have to return my dead S2ST. It is still sitting in a closet. Maybe things have changed now.