HDMI and RCA audio sync issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by funseeker22, May 22, 2015.

1. funseeker22

funseeker22 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

I have a Roamio Pro, connected to a newer 60" Samsung LED panel via HDMI, and also connected to a whole-home audio receiver via RCA stereo output (from the Tivo). The receiver does not have any digital inputs so it has to be analog/RCA. The audio that comes out of the TV does not sync with the audio coming out of the whole-home receiver setup.

I've experienced this issue in the past with other Tivo's too.

I wrote Tivo to ask if there's any way to get audio from the HDMI and the RCA ports syncronized. I was told that "there really isn't, the TiVo is meant to output from just one source at a time. Using both the audio from HDMI and RCA generally will create a lag or problem with syncing. We recommend using only HDMI audio."

How have others dealt with this issue? I am wondering if the optical/digital/toslink audio out would be better-sync'd with the HDMI (the Tivo rep didn't know if it would or wouldn't be). If it is, I could maybe try using that audio source for my whole-home receiver (pass it through a digital-to-analog adapter, then to the receiver). I could also try splitting the Tivo's HDMI output, sending one signal to the TV and the other to an HDMI audio extractor and then on to the analog whole-home receiver.

I don't know if either of those options would work though, would love to hear what others have done.

2. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    I use HDMI and optical out simultaneously on a Roamio in my home theater. They are perfectly in sync (as demonstrated whenever certain-family-members-who-shall-remain-nameless don't use the remote macro to switch the audio...! :mad: ) I think the issue you're seeing is specific to analog audio.

3. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    Any chance your TV has analog audio outs? If so, running from the TV to the receiver would be worth trying.

4. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I've had audio sync problems due to differences in electronics sound buffers. I didn't assume it was the Tivo, but didn't run that precise test so can't say for certain.

If your receiver is ahead of TV audio, I suggest an audio delay circuit on the receiver side. Some AV receivers have a setting for this.

Or you can add one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-A-V-SYNC-Lip-Sync-Corrector-Sescom/dp/B00C0NTHOU

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  5. funseeker22

funseeker22 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies thus far, really appreciate it.

B-ball: The TV itself is a 2014 model, I don't think it has analog audio out...also all my wires are pulled through the walls/ceilings (new construction), with my equipment in a closet. So I can't really do any other connections between TV and receiver that I didn't already plan for (e.g., via HDMI).

Telemark: The receiver is a whole-home audio receiver, that's all analog and pretty basic in terms of controls. There's no audio delay adjustment. But that device you sent looks fantastic! I didn't know those existed... it may be a good option for me.

Since B-ball has experienced synchronized audio among HDMI and optical out on the Tivo, I think I'll first try to pass optical audio out through a digital-analog converter (off the shelf at Radio Shack) and see if that works. I'm not sure if the conversion from digital to analog would create any kind of processing delay lag in of itself (causing more problems), but will be interesting to see.

6. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Do you know which is ahead/behind?

I found that DA converters add a little lag, but a tiny amount compared to other digital electronics. And they're cheap to buy which is a bonus.

I agree if you can find outputs from the TV, they're more likely to be synchronized to the TV speakers than from the Tivo.

Some TV's might have a "Game Mode" which reduces the video processing lag, which if the speakers are synced to, would reduce the audio lag from the TV speakers as well.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. Anony-mous

Anony-mous New Member

May 29, 2015

That's not just a Tivo issue, it's an issue with pretty much any device (DVD player, Bluray, etc).

Simple solution really. Disable the internal TV speaker (set it to use external only). You won't get the TV speakers then, but it's not like you are losing a lot if using a receiver + bookshelves anyway.