HDHomeRun/Network Tuner in Tivo Stream App

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by slydog75, Jan 13, 2021.

1. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA

Advertisements

So I just set up my new Tivo Stream 4k.. The Stream App was a big attraction, as it seemed it was combinging everything into one app. However, it appears there's no way to get my HDHomeRun channels to appear in the built in guide, it only shows 'locast' channels which apparently are in SD as they look like total crap. Am I missing a way to change this?

ke3ju likes this.
  2. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    I can only get it to work in Google Live TV, and not the TiVo Guide. It's one of many reasons I have 1 TiVo Stream 4K on a shelf, and 7 FireTV Sticks on my TVs.

3. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    That's what I was afraid of, thanks for confirming.

4. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Yeah. No network tuner support yet. I logged that complaint a bit ago, and revisit it every month. Will bug them again. For people who primarily watch live TV, their Stream app sucks. Iocrap is the only live option. All their silly streaming channels are nonsense. It's like all the channels that couldn't make it onto a cable lineup got relegated to them. Like the home for misfit toys.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

5. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina

Advertisements

Antenna channels thru SlingTv don't show up in the Tivo guide either.

6. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Old Roamio 0 likes this.
  7. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Yes. There are thriving threads over on the Channels Community forum discussing how to use the TS4K as a client and even as a server, how to best use it with the TiVo stuff wiped off, how to customize the remote buttons for Channels, and more. Search: TiVo | Channels Community

8. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Pretty much every OTA person who dumped their tivo dvr.

Old Roamio 0 and blackngold75 like this.
  9. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    And how does it work on the Stream 4K device?

10. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    See the forum I recommended above. Some people run Channels DVR on a small PC or NAS, and then install the Channels DVR client app on their TS4K. That's what I recommend. Others install the Channels DVR server software on their TS4K too. It depends how much you want to play with it.

There are other choices too, including Tablo. There's a long thread here covering all sorts of cord-cutting options including OTA and the live TV streaming services, and here's my post with a photo of my Channels DVR setup on a shelf above ye olde TiVo: TiVo Alternatives | Post #814

11. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I like it. I have three of them. Have a CCGTV too but mainly use the TS4k's. The tivo peanut remote for it is better than the others giving you some tivo like remote functionality with channels. Commercial skip is much better and more universal than on a Tivo dvr. You can add cable credentials via TV Everywhere and have it integrate into your lineup. I really don't miss my tivo dvr setup at this point.

I did the free trial with an old laptop. Then got a nice deal on a little mini pc that sits behind my living room tv. All I have on it is chrome with the hdhomerun and Channels server bookmarked. The pc was about $140. So after selling my dvr equipment, I'm ahead money wise.

Haven't tried out of home streaming, but I want to get my sister's boyfriend's cable credentials so they can hopefully watch NY sports here in Philly. Sadly she's a NY fan.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

12. Wattsline

Wattsline Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I don't see it in the guide but it is in the home screen and I can select it and view any channel on it I want.

13. scottchez

scottchez Active Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I have a i7 with SSD PC for the Channels Server and Ethernet on the Server and Tivo.
    My Channels app on the Tivo is slow at times on the guide, sometimes pauses for 30 seconds to page up and down.
    Is that normal?

Ideas?

14. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    He wants it integrated into the stream's channel guide. The whole point of using the Stream app is integration, and the live guide accepting network tuners should be basic. If people watch live TV and can't have it integrated, then there is less reason to use the app and more reason to de-tivo it.

osu1991 likes this.
  15. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I'm not sure if it's a Tivo thing or an android tv thing. My beta unit is all wired as is my server. And they're both wired to the same switch behind the LR TV. It can be slower than my stock units over wifi.

I have a ccgtv, but I don't really care for itbit I can try and give it a go to see how channels works in comparison.

16. Wattsline

Wattsline Member

Apr 27, 2015
    He wants a different form of integration. I agree the live TV would be extra nice but it is integrated.

17. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Now you lost me. What's different? And no, it's not integrated. Tivo's live channels doesn't have integration of network tuners like Google's live channels does. It's an extreme oversight for live TV watchers trying to buy into Stream. Their live channels is beyond abysmal wih the worst craptastic channels and low quality Locast.

18. mike3y

mike3y Member

Jan 5, 2021
    Google is more polished and seems faster. It doesn’t suffer from some of the lag I’ve seen with TiVo. Also, the HDR isn’t an issue on google tv either.

my big draw is the remote. If TiVo can fix this, I will strictly use my TiVo for tivimate and channels dvr.

19. scottchez

scottchez Active Member

Dec 1, 2003
  20. Wattsline

Wattsline Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Now you lost me. Through Tivo Stream I can watch anything off of my HDHomerun so it is there! That is a form of integration. You changed the goal post and compared that to Google live. I never said it couldn't be integrated better I said that there is a level of integration there.