1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD with Power Disable Feature Usable in Roamio OTA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Saugus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Saugus

Saugus New Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Wanting to upgrade the storage in my TiVo Roamio OTA (All-In), I purchased a Western Digital EasyStore 8TB External Drive at Best Buy hoping to find a WD80EFAX Red drive inside. Unfortunately, once shucked, the drive turned out to be a white labeled WD80EMAZ drive with the Power Disable Feature (SATA Rev. 3.3 or 3.2+). My understanding is that if a unit's power supply provides +3.3V on pin 3 of the SATA power connector the drive interprets that as "Power Disable" and the drive will not spin up. My question then is: Does my Tivo Roamio OTA's power supply provide +3.3V to pin 3, thus causing this HDD to not spin up? If so, how exactly can I effectively block that +3.3V signal from the TiVo and thereby use this drive to upgrade its storage?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    AFAIK, Roamios don't even have a 3.3V bus (that was the original Series 3).

3. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    Have you placed WD80EMAZ drive into your Roamio yet? Does it power up?

4. Saugus

Saugus New Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Yes, I have successfully upgraded my Roamio OTA to the 8TB drive. No problem between the Roamio and the 8TB WD80EMAZ. Only problem I had was formatting and checking the drive in my older PC whose power to the motherboard-supplied eSATA power connector did cause problems for me. So instead of using that, I popped open the PC case and attached the drive to one of the on-board SATA ports and used a simple, generic, Molex to SATA power cable adapter, and that worked like a charm.

jlin likes this.
  5. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica
    Excellent! I will go ahead and shuck the EasyStore drive to get the WD80EMAZ out.