HDD failing - can I xfer OnePass & recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by iReyes, Jan 16, 2017.

1. iReyes

iReyes New Member

Nov 28, 2015

Advertisements

I think my HDD is failing in my Roamio Pro so I'd like to replace it before it actually does fail. I know you can transfer recordings to a new TiVO but not sure what to do if I'm just replacing the HDD itself in the same unit. I can pull as much as I can off of it via cTiVo but there are protected shows on there as well.

Also, will my OnePass settings automatically be synced when I fire up the new HDD since it is the same unit?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You are SOL on any protected shows. You can copy the passes, unprotected shows to a PC using KMTTG and back using PyTivo. Just as long as the drive still works in the Tivo.

3. iReyes

iReyes New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I use cTivo on my Mac instead of KMTTG but same principle. I can watch them on Plex. Shame I'll lose the protected shows but it's not that many that can't be found in other places. What about my OnePasses?

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    KMTTG does that and runs on many platforms. cTivo only downloads shows.

5. iReyes

iReyes New Member

Nov 28, 2015

Advertisements

That's all I really need. I download the shows & encode to mp4 to add to plex. I can then sync shows to my various devices or watch remotely.

I'm still interested in finding the answer to my OnePass question if you have insight on that.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You are not listening..... KMTTG does Season/onePasses, back up, restore.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You could use MFS Tools 3.2 to copy the old drive to the new drive. Check out the Upgrade forum.

Scott

iReyes likes this.
  8. iReyes

iReyes New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I see. I did not get that from your previous post. I looked at it previously and it was very complicated which is why I liked cTivo for the downloads. But I take another look. I sent an email to TiVO support as well.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Would be interesting to see if TiVo support responds to you and how, as you're talking about doing an unsupported self-repair/alteration to your box.

10. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you aren't planning on upgrading the drive, buy the same size/model and just bit for bit clone the drive either using an external caddie or using dd_rescue.

You will likely have a drop in replacement drive and no need to move shows off TiVo or recreate onepasses.