HDD errors

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by depr11259, Aug 30, 2007.

1. depr11259

depr11259 New Member

Nov 10, 2002
    London, UK
    The electrical circuit board in my home has "tripped" a few times recently because of a problem with a garden supply. This failure in the supply seems to have caused damage to the HDD of my Tivo, I assume because the HDD heads were in contact with the disc at the time of failure. This damage manifests itself as "blips" in the recording. Is there a way to run something like check disk on the hard drive so I can mark the bad sectors and fix this problem?

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    You could try running TiVo's version of "check disk", Kickstart 57, to see if it will clear things up.

Kickstart 57:

1. Unplug TiVo and wait 15 seconds.
    2. Plug TiVo in, get the TiVo remote and aim it at TiVo.
    3. Press and hold the pause button until the orange light comes back on by itself.
    4. Release the pause button and immediately type in the numbers 5 and 7 on the remote (you have about 10 seconds to do this step).
    5. TiVo will reboot and the GSOD screen will come on saying TiVo has encountered a serious error. It will then run the disk management tool which can take from 10 minutes to 3 hours to complete. During this time it will look for and correct configuration problems as well as isolating any bad sectors on the hard drive so they can no longer be used.
    6. TiVo will automatically reboot again and hopefully things will return to normal. (Programs that used any bad sectors may be lost.)

3. depr11259

depr11259 New Member

Nov 10, 2002
    London, UK
    Thank you so much, it appears to have worked a treat.
    Paul

4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    :up:

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'd get that unit on a UPS, so that future power blips are smoothed out.