HD10-250 screwed up by DTV upgrade

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nsdp1, Oct 20, 2010.

1. nsdp1

nsdp1 New Member

Jul 24, 2008

Advertisements

Brief history, I went to go play in the sandbox in Dec. 2007. Before I left the 6.2? upgrade screwed up either the boot sector, kernel or root sectors. File allocation is intact. I have seen some unknowlegable posts says the HD is dead. The HD Tivo will not boot and is stuck at the first screen. The drive have been scanned by software available to 24th AF and the sectors 4,5 and 6 seem to be trashed by the download but is sound electromechanically which means with 100% certainty that the problem is software related. The trashed sectors appear to be caused by weather related issues during download and DTV error correction if any wasn't good enough to solve the problem.

Is Slice an appropriate tool to reinstall a new kernel/root sectors? I would prefer to save my old programs since Trio is no longer offered on DTV and I have a complete set of LaughIn on the drive. What are the current versions of kernel and root that can be used.

2. russwjohns

russwjohns D*Tivo User

Oct 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Sorry for not having an answer to your questions, but is what you are trying to do similar to running a Sys command on a formatted DOS drive to make it bootable? I have a different DirecTV unit that seems to have lost its boot sector even though it spins up. It too never gets past the initial startup screens now.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Slices can be loaded only if you have a functioning TiVo in the first place. You can try the kickstart code that switches the boot page - this is probably better taken to the upgrade section or, better, that other forum with the database of deals.

4. nsdp1

nsdp1 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Steve thanks for the advice Kickstart worked to do an emergency update of latest image. Will backup drive next then expand to a 500gb drive. I appreciate a good straight forward answer as we seem to have a bunch of people who don't know enough to know they don't what they are talking about. My experience with Weakness is pretty bad. It's called the Dunning Kruger Effect. Thanks