HD10-250 and a SD TV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BlueMonk, Sep 12, 2006.

1. BlueMonk

BlueMonk New Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Anyone know what happens if you hook a HD source like the HD10-250 to an older SD tube TV set? Does it just show all the channels except the HD stations? Any problems with screen size or other Tivo issues?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

May 15, 2005
    Dawson, GA
    Nope! Just set the resolution to 480i, and you'll be able to enjoy all the DirecTV SD channels, OTA digital channels (with OTA antenna), and you'll be able to receive current DirecTV HD channels for a while, at least...

~Alan

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Realize that there is on RF output on the HR10, so if your TV is so old it doesn't have video inputs, you will need an RF modulator like they sell for DVD players.

You can also set the HR10 to 4:3 for the screen size, so it will output the right size screen.

4. BlueMonk

BlueMonk New Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the initial answers. As I read them I realized that I should have explained my situation better.

I have several rooms on a distributed audio/video system and the source is a single SD DirecTivo. All of them are SD TV's. I want to upgrade the TV in my bedroom to a new LCD and would love to be able to watch HD. So I was hoping I could just sub in my H10-250 and see HD in the bedroom and regular TV everywhere else on the distributed system.

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

May 15, 2005
    Dawson, GA

Advertisements

Currently, I have a HD-TiVo in the Den, and using composite out, hook it up to a modulator which then feeds my bedroom SDTV. You do have to make sure that the output resolution is set to 480i when you're not watching HD.

~Alan

6. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Oh, then you have a small issue if you want to watch them the HD TV and the non HD TVs at the same time.

On the H10, the SD outputs are not active if you are in any ED or HD output mode (480p, 720p or 1080i).

You can toggle output types and turn on the 480i mode and the SD TVs will see programming (it is the up-arrow that toggles thru different modes).

I use the HR10 for pip and the second screen will not handle ED or HD, so I toggle to 480i with the up arrow to get the SD active. I limit the toggle values (in the settings) to 480i and 1080i only. So it is a matter of just hitting the up arrow twice (once to get into toggle mode and the second time to change to 480i) when I want to see the HR10 in the PIP.

Hope that makes sense.

There is no way (without a hack) to get the 480i output to come out at the same time as the ED/HD outputs.

7. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Care to elaborate on the "hack?" Or point me to a link?

It's this limitation of the HR10-250 that had me pass on the hardware. And I'm considering the S3 Standalone (yep, switching back to cable) because it can output to all ports simultaneously.

8. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Sorry, I don't hack my units so I don't know.

I thought I read that you can turn it on via a hack, that is why I put in the possible exception. That could be a mis-memory.

Try the underground?

9. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD