HD XL Bad hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bleech2, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Feb 5, 2021 #1 of 17
    bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014

Advertisements

I have a HDXL Series 3 that I upgraded the hard drive to 2TB and replaced power supply capacitors in 2014 or 15. It's given me trouble free service ever since, until today. I disconnected the unit so I could clean it. Upon plugging it back in, it would get to the "almost there" screen and then reboot after a few minutes. Luckily, I had another power supply still sitting around and tried that. Same result. Next I found the original hard drive in the closet and popped that in. This time it worked.

I put the "new" hard drive back in to verify that was the issue. It was. I listened to it while booting, no odd sounds. Questions: Is there any way to run an error check on the drive and possibly fix it? If I buy another 2TB hard drive, is it possible to clone the drive using an external drive cloning device? I'm trying to think of "hail mary" things that might save the recordings.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  2. Feb 5, 2021 #2 of 17
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may need to use a fresh image to another new drive as this one may have failed/starting to fail.

3. Feb 5, 2021 #3 of 17
    bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks, do you think a Seagate Skyhawk 2TB Surveillance (ST2000VX008) would work?

4. Feb 5, 2021 #4 of 17
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If its not a 7200+ RPM or use more power than the power supply can handle, it would work.
    Recommended is WD20EFRX for a 2TB.

5. Feb 5, 2021 #5 of 17
    bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014

Advertisements

Thanks I went with the WD20EFRX to be safe. Would there be any harm in attempting to clone the existing hard drive to this new drive?

6. Feb 5, 2021 #6 of 17
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can try it. If there are problems, you may need a new image.

7. Feb 6, 2021 #7 of 17
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Your drive is clearly failing, if not already totally gone. There is a slight chance that you can save the content if it is still readable by your computer, but the longer you let it run, the greater the chance that it will completely die. There is no "error check" that is going to fix it if it has a physical problem, but the unnecessary work on the drive could quite possible make it worse. But there is no harm in trying to copy the drive. If it works you win, if not, you do not lose anything not already lost.

Your best course of action is to use a computer to run ddrescue to copy the old drive to your new one. ddrescue is specifically designed to try and deal with failing drives and save as much content as possible. The only thing you have to loose is the time.

If the ddrescue works, that might be all you need - the TiVo could boot right up and show no problems. But if the new drive either fails to boot or shows some problems after it does, then you can try a kiskstart 57 or 58 to attempt to let the TiVo try to fix any data corruption. If you still have problems after that, then just use your computer to put a fresh image on the drive and forget about trying to save anything from the old drive.

8. Feb 6, 2021 #8 of 17
    bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks for the information, I'm getting acquainted with DDRescue GUI while I wait for the new drive to be delivered, how long do you think the balanced recovery option would take with a 2TB drive?

9. Feb 7, 2021 #9 of 17
    V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I do not really know - it has been a long time since I needed to use it. But anything on big drives takes a long time if it has to read the entire drive - I'd expect 5-10 hours anyway.

10. bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014
    New WD20EFRX drive was delivered today. Performed DDRescue with balanced setting, took just under 5 hours and reported zero errors. I put the new drive in the tivo, but still was stuck in a reboot loop. Then did a kickstart 57 on new drive, and after 2 more hours, it booted up! Working perfectly now after an hour of use and appears all recordings were saved. Can I breathe a sigh of relief yet?

11. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I love it when a plan comes together! I'm glad that it worked out well for you.

Now connect that old drive to your PC and run the manufacturer's tests on it to see if it is really bad. If the SMART results are good and it passes a long test, then you can probably just format it and use it for something else.

Most likely the corrupted data on it was caused by a drive that was actually failing, but no way to be sure without the extra tests. I did not recommend that you try these tests or the kickstart first on that drive for the reasons I mentioned above - if the drive is developing internal problems such as surface errors on the platters, just running these tests could finish pushing it over the cliff. But now that you have already copied the programs off of it, who cares?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  12. bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014
    I'm thrilled with the way things have turned out yesterday but am still concerned about why the problem developed to begin with...i'll run the smart tests this week hopefully. Have there been any reports of replaced power supply capacitors failing? I replaced mine in 2014-ish and used the ones from digikey recommended in this forum.

13. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    It is unlikely that your replaced caps went bad again (as long as you actually replaced them all). The issue with the caps was a massive influx of garbage parts from China around the early 2000s, and this crap affected electronics in all industries, not just our TiVos. By 2014, this was well understood, so it is most likely that your replacement caps were good ones.

As I have said, the most likely cause of your problem is that your original drive was just failing from age, but if the issue was simply data corruption on a good drive, you will most likely never find an answer - it could have been caused by a passing ring wraith, sun spots, a random burp in the software, or something as simple as a power failure during a critical write to a file on the disk that was central to the OS operation.

Just make sure you run a long test on the drive - one that at least reads every single sector - even better is a full read/write test. If thee is any developing problem on the drive, that will find it. I generally prefer to use the manufacturer's own drive testing utility, but Crystal Disk Info is also good. If the tests report any errors at all, I'd just trash the drive and move on. Not worth the risks of surprise problems in the future if you put it back into service.

14. bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks for the reassurance about the caps. I replaced them with guidance from this forum so I'm pretty confident every one was changed. I checked them over yesterday and all the solder connections looked ok, no bulges, etc. so I'll put that idea to rest for now.

The reboot loop on Friday started after I unplugged and uncovered the unit to clean out the dust. I'll report back after I'm able to run the tests on the old drive.

15. bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014
    I ran WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics overnight and the drive "passed" the extended test, which took nearly 7 hours. I was expecting more detailed results, should I run it through some other program?

16. bleech2

bleech2 Member

Mar 15, 2014
    I ran the drive through another 7 hour test using a program called HD Tune which didn't turn up any errors either...I think I'm going to use the drive as a back up clone of my new drive...i don't want to invest in a new backup drive since I'm not sure how much longer series 3 Tivo's will be supported...Thanks again for the help!

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Series 3 are no longer supported except for units with lifetime service.