HD Wishlists?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Gavroche, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...

Advertisements

I've read some other threads about this but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Q: Is there a way to tell a KEYWORD wishlist to DEFAULT to the HD version of a show if there is one available?

My situation is that I have a "UFOs" keyword wishlist in which I have all sorts of keywords such as "UFO," "ALIEN," "AREA 51," etc...

The problem is that if, for example, the same exact show appears on History HD and on History, I'll always get the SD version unless a recording conflict forces the Tivo to grab the HD version at a later time.

Is there a way to tell my Tivo "Please record the HD version if it exists?"

I don't want to set the Wishlist for ONLY HD, because I would be missing a lot of shows, and I don't really want to create two wishlists for the same thing (though could that be an answer without recording duplicate shows?).

I appreciate any suggestions!

2. urkel-Os

urkel-Os Teh Cereal

Oct 23, 2005
    Howard...
    What if you go to Channel List and remove the SD channels of all networks that have both SD and HD feeds? Then the TiVo will only record the HD feeds for those networks. For networks that do not have HD feeds, you will get SD recordings. Wouldn't this solve your problem?

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I answered a similar question in the TivoHD FAQ thread a few weeks ago:

4. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    Unfortuantely not a solution, since the HD versions of channels are actually not EXACTLY the same as the SD versions, so I'd still be missing shows.

(Actually I tried that once and then added the SD channels back in due to what I just mentioned.)

For the most part they do have the same shows, but there are indeed some differences. Not with local channels, but with cable networks like History and Discovery.

Good thought though.

5. urkel-Os

urkel-Os Teh Cereal

Oct 23, 2005
    Howard...

Advertisements

I think you might be stuck with the two wishlists plan. I suppose that's a little inelegant because you'll end up with two folders in Now Playing, but it seems to be the only way to go in order to do what you want.

Edit: I don't see how you'll avoid duplicates when a program is shown in both SD and HD, which will have the added disadvantage of locking up both of your tuners simultaneously. Not a good solution.

6. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    Thanks for the info, but as I mentioned, it's not really a solution since I'd still be missing some things.

Maybe the SD/HD works differently where you are, but where I am there are differences in line-ups. Some shows will only appear on SD and not on HD. (I don't know why... I find it generally confusing, actually.)

Also your suggestion of season pass priority also doesn't work because where I am the SD and HD line-ups are never at the same time when the same show appears on both channels, so that's not a solution either.

What I really want is a way to tell the Tivo to record the HD version if it appears at a later date in the programming guide. But of course, there is no way to do that.

7. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I don't mind having two folders, I can mark one as "HD."

But my real issue with that method is that I would get duplicate shows, taking up space on the hard drive.

I don't think there is really a solution at this time, as far as I can tell.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    What kind of differences? As soon as an HD channel becomes available, I remove the SD version the same day. With the shows I record, I haven't had any issues, but would like to know what to look out for! I guess I do have an issue if I forget to delete a Season Pass associated with the SD channel, but that's just a management task I need to perform. The new episode of Ghost Hunters tipped me off when the (removed from lineup) SD channel was recorded, and not the HD channel. I caught the rerun a couple hours later :up:

9. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    Actually not simultaneously, as the HD version almost never appears on the HD channels at the same time as the SD version.

10. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I won't do that because the line-ups are almost never the same. Even when both versions of the channel do air the same show, they never air at the same time.

Maybe this is something to do with Comcast or just the fact that I'm on the west coast, because from what I can tell by reading the forums, viewers in other areas seem to get identical line-ups. (???)

11. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I guess my solution will be to go with 2 separate wishlists, one which only records HD and ones which records anything.

There are pros and cons of this:

Cons:

:thumbsdown: More space taken up on hard drive due to duplicate shows being recorded.

:thumbsdown: Takes forever to set up this wishlist because of the number of keywords I'm using. (PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE TIVO!!! Give us a way to connect a PC keyboard to type in stuff!!!)

Pros:

:up: I'll get the HD versions a lot of time

:up: I'll also have the SD versions for transfer to my series 2 boxes

12. urkel-Os

urkel-Os Teh Cereal

Oct 23, 2005
    Howard...
    Maybe this is a mostly West Coast thing. I'm on the East Coast, and the only time I can remember seeing the kind of discrepancy you mention is with the local PBS channels.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You won't get duplicates. If it's really the same show then the SD & HD versions have same ProgramID and thus only the HD one gets recorded since it has priority over the SD one (and then the 28 day rule kicks in).

14. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I hadn't thought of that but you're right! Good tip!

I'm going to try the 2 wishlist idea... it just takes so damned long to enter all the keywords.

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    As mentioned already the only bad side effect of 2 ARWL setup is for a single show you will see it be categorized under 2 different folders in Now Playing List - 1 for each of your duplicate ARWL. Well that and it clogs up your "View History" list with a bunch of will not record messages...

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, if the SD version happens to air BEFORE any HD version of same show then of course there's a chance that only the SD version will get recorded. However, for most situations I think the SD & HD versions of same show usually air at same time (for the original broadcast) so I don't think that will happen.

16. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    Unfortunately not where I live. They almost never air at the same time.

So contrary to what I posted before about my solution... if the sd versions airs first (and it usually does) I'll never get the HD version.

Oh well... it's not that big of a deal really but I was hoping someone had found some sort of nifty hack or something to make it work the way I want it to.

17. urkel-Os

urkel-Os Teh Cereal

Oct 23, 2005
    Howard...
    Right, I had to think hard to come up with an example of a network that aired different programming on the SD vs. HD feeds, and it's actually pretty rare. Aside from the PBS channels, I can't think of anything that would break that model for me. But then again, I don't watch that many channels.

Edit: I just noticed you live on the West Coast, moyekj. Do you see the same discrepancies between SD and HD feeds that the OP mentions?

18. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    In my experience it's actually far more rare that the SD and HD versions air at the same time. And on some channels (For example, TBS, History, Discovery, even Disney!) the line-up seems completely different, not just time-shifted.

Another issue with this is when Comcast adds new HD channels that appear in the Tivo program guide but when you tune to them there is nothing but a black screen (not "channel not available," just black screen). When this happened with Disney, I asked my friend that works for Comcast and she told me it wasn't coming on for another couple of weeks, yet Tivo automatically added it and started recording things from it which turned out to be a recording of nothing.

How this happens I have no idea, but it's just another wrench thrown into the works of the SD/HD fiasco.

(Yes, I am aware I can take those channels out of my list but then I wouldn't know when the damned thing actually turns on. I'm having this issue right now with FX!)

19. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Actually yes, but my duplicate ARWLs are mostly for sports teams and live recordings so not affected.

One example is SciFiHD channel. I don't think there's a west coast feed for that channel (at least not for my provider) and hence we get the east coast feed for that channel while the SD version is the west coast feed. Hence the HD broadcasts are 3 hours earlier than on the SD channel. That is not exactly the scenario of the OP though since the schedule on both HD & SD channels is identical but just time shifted by 3 hours. In any case the advantage in that example is the HD broadcast is always first anyway. :) (Plus since both have identical schedules but just time shifted I have no use for SD version so remove it from my "channels I receive" list).

I don't record anything from channels the OP mentions has these issues but now I understand the problem. I just don't know what Tivo could possibly do to solve it other than adding a "prefer HD" option as well as look ahead in time to make sure the later HD broadcasts get recorded instead of the earlier SD ones which would make things very complicated...

Assuming that eventually the HD channels air most everything that the SD channels do I would just remove the SD channels from from "channels I receive" and setup a single ARWL.

20. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    On Comcast, this is almost always a CableCard mapping issue. Channel mapping for Comcast's own boxes is separate from the mapping for CableCard devices. If Comcast forgets to map the channel for CableCard devices, TiVo, Moxi, and CableCard TVs will just get a black screen on those channels...while it tunes just fine on their own boxes.

No amount of swapping or resetting CableCards will fix this. It's a configuration issue on Comcast's end.

To get this problem resolved, generally you have to schedule a service call. The installer will see that those channels aren't coming in and call to ask; they'll make their way up tier2 or tier3 support until they'll find someone who understands the problem.