HD transfers from TiVo HD to Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mostlymuppet, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mostlymuppet

mostlymuppet New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    I've got a new TiVo HD and I'd like to send some of the HD programming (via transfer) from that machine to my Series 2 (which is connected to a new HDTV in my bedroom).

1) Will the transfer happen?
    2) Does the Series 2 have a decoder capable of displaying the program?
    3) Are the connections on the Series 2 enough to send the resulting signal to my HDTV?

Thanks for the advice.

I realize I'm being a little lazy here, but I've got a new house and a new baby, so I'm in need of a little hand-holding.

2. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Transfers are not allowed currently with any Series 3 Tivo, Either the TivoHD or Series3 box...

3. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    As noted in the other post, MRV (Multi-Room Viewing) and TiVo2Go, are not yet enabled on any of the series 3 platform boxes (Series 3 or the TivoHD). TiVo mgmt has noted in some interviews that they are looking to enable before the end of the year.

There is conflicting information, but it appears that once enabled, you should be able to pull SD (standard definition) format content from the series 3 based boxes to the Series 2....any content that was in HD format, will be downverted to SD in order to be shared on an SD. What's not known for sure is whether series 3 to series 3 transfers of HD content will occur...

all this wait isn't completely due to Tivo...it is mainly due to cable labs approvals and certifications required; since the series 3 based boxes have to maintain their cable labs certifications in order for cable companies to be legally held to support cable cards on the equipment...

TiVo mgmt has noted that this will be supported, but if a content producer places a copy protection flag on the HD content, it may prevent the show from transfering at all (or even downgraded to SD format), or at least being prevented from sending it to the PC for TiVo2Go. Until updates are provided on the series 3 platforms (assuming before the end of the year), we won't know for sure.

For your last question...Series 2 can't even handle, store, or display HD....so the answer is that you can only sendSD signals from your Series 2 to your HDTV (via standard rca video or svideo connections on your series 2), but again they'll only be in SD. So, in theory, you will be able to transfer non-copyrighted material from your TiVoHD to your Series 2 (albeit in SD or downverted to SD) and then display in SD on your HDTV....

4. mostlymuppet

mostlymuppet New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Thanks for all the help.

I apologize for my hasty posting. I suppose if I weren't so damn excited to be getting HD in the first place, I'd have done my research.

5. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

No need to apologize for asking a reasonable question, for the only stupid question is the one not asked... ;)

6. pauljb55

pauljb55 Now in Miami Beach

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    Well said...MRV is the only thing that is holding me back on pulling the triger on a TIVO HD. Wife does not want to loose the ability to transfer...I was willing to suffer...but we know who won that fight! :)

7. Crazydiamond

Crazydiamond New Member

Aug 2, 2006

Same here! :D

8. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    MRV + eSATA enabled port = New TiVo for Me!

9. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Some may disagree with me, but I would like to see TiVo release these items as
    soon as they are each beta tested.

My personal preference is for this priority....realize others have would differ, especially what it would take for them to finally purchase....but I believe these are mainly acceptable...

1) Same 8.x on TiVo HD & Series 3 (assumes TiVoHD stablization)

2) MRV - SD (MRV betweeen Series 2 platform and series 3 platform)

3) Fully Supported +eSata (both TiVo HD & Series 3)

2 & 3 are swappable in my mind. I wouldn't one to hold up the other.

4) TiVoToGo - SD (TiVoHD & Series 3)

If they can add this at the same time with MRV SD on the series 3 platform great, othewise, I wouldn't want this told up basic MRV...it's use more anyway.

5) MRV - HD (MRV HD between series 3 platform units)

If they can add this at the same time as # 2 & 4, great, otherwise, I wouldn't want it to hold up the others...

6) TiVoToGo - HD (if ever possible/allowed)

Same argument as above.

That said, release mgmt of a code base on multiple retail platforms has got to be pain, so I can understand if they are considering more combined/single releases for support reasons...however, that said anything they can add minimally to push over the next group of hold-out buyers I think should be taken into high consideration....especially as Christmas season approaches...a lot of HD sets are purchased over Thanksgiving weekend due to the sales.

I surely hope that #1 - 3 are accomplished, released, and stablized before Thanksgiving. #1 will be make or break the holiday season for them.