HD tivo with Sony LCD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by heelsfinl4, Jan 1, 2006.

1. heelsfinl4

heelsfinl4 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    I have ordered a HD tivo unit to go with my Sony lcd tv. I currently have it hooked up to a Non HD dtivo unit. The picture isn't very good. It is soft and grainy using the s-video connection. Will my standard def. picture improve when Iget my HD tivo, because I'll be connecting with component video or HDMI? Thanks

2. flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    most likley not. calibrating your tv will do wonders. get the avia dvd.

sd signal will be exactly the same than before

3. heelsfinl4

heelsfinl4 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Will calibrating my set help with the standard definition reception? If not, I'll just count down the days until the new hd dvr comes out. Thanks

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes. Use a calibration DVD like AVIA or Video Essentials. Connect your DVD player with the calibration DVD to your TV's composite or SVideo inputs. The test signals will help you optimize the brightness, contrast, sharpness and other settings for the best picture. It will help your SD video quality, but it still won't match HDTV quality.

5. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...
    You will get somewhat better SD quality using component vs s-video, but it won't be HD quality; component provides more bandwidth.

Another factor is how good the video scaler in your TV is. It will rescale the video input to match its native resolution, and a good scaler can give you pretty impressive results, considering the signal source. If your HD receiver has switchable output formats, try letting it do the scaling, and then compare that with the TV's scaler.

Using a calibration DVD is a good idea, because TVs are usually preset to look good at the store, not in home conditions. However, one thing that hasn't been pointed out, none of the current calibration DVDs are true HD (DVDs aren't HD). So, you can get a good calibration for SD and DVD playback, but the HD calibration will be a bit of a compromise. Or, you can pay a lot and have your set professionally calibrated.

Some TVs have separate settings for each input (my Sony does), so you'll have to do multiple calibrations if you use multiple inputs. Yes, this is all a pain, but it'll be worth it. Now if there was only some HD content that was worthwhile......

6. heelsfinl4

heelsfinl4 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Thanks for the information. I will pick up a calibration cd and try it. Should I hook up my dvd with s-video, so it will more closely simulate what my dtivo tuner has? I don't expect the SD to be more nearly as clear as HD, but I did expect that my SD reception would be at least the same quality as it was on my prior tv (a Sony 32 inch non-HD CRT). I know part of the loss of resolution comes from the "stretching" factor of 16 X 9 tv's, but the non Hd material I get from my OTA channels are terrific. It's just the material I get through my Dtivo box that could be better, especially sporting events!. I have to really decide within 30 days if this loss of picture quality is worth the tradeoff of having terrific Hd and DVD output. Thanks again

7. flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    all that counting would not help you with the SD reception, no matter what dvr you have. SD is SD.

best to cailbrate your input with the connection you will use. so connect your dvd player with s-video if you use that, or component or hdmi...

8. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    a part of the problem could be that LCD is different than CRT. Avsforum may be able to help you if you have one of the TVS they have. There are things like the screen door effect and other things I am no expert on. so can't tell you if it's affecting you.

I'm not putting LCD down, but know that the reason I picked crt rptv is for the 'better' SD quality. (subjective of course) I read that a lot of the other technologies that are forced to convert to the rez to their native 720 etc and it may not be such a good SD pic.

I know that my 57 inch hdtv will put out the same size SD pic in 4/3 as my old tv and the quality is at least the same, if not better (no doubt because it's newer also)