HD TIVO with Satellite Reseller

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by leffrt, Jul 25, 2007.

1. leffrt

leffrt New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Ok, I know this is going to sound a little out of the box, but my cable company actually runs Dish Network to us through cable in our community. So I can get basic channels that they have deemed "basic" through the normal cable line with no box.

So my first question is can I use the Series 3 HD TIVO to pass through this digital signal? Is there still a cable input that can be used just for basic channels?

My second question is about the HD channels. I can receive HD channels through the normal cable when I search for channels on my HD TV. My cable company obviously doesn't want us to know this, but we can get the local HD channels that way. Well if I set up the HD TIVO is there a way to add channels and/or do a scan for digital channels like you can on the TV?

Thanks guys!

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You have what amounts to basic analog cable. The Series 3 will work with that, provided TiVo has a lineup for it.

You can scan for QAM channels, but they won't map to guide data without cablecards.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the full Series 3, but the new TiVo HD, for your situation, if not the Series 2 DT.

3. leffrt

leffrt New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking. I was thinking of getting the new Tivo HD. I can't see paying $500 more for the series 3.