HD TiVo package ?'s

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RBerryman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. RBerryman

RBerryman Just a Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Dallas, Texas

Advertisements

I have had a HD TiVo for over 1 year but have not added the HD channel package as they don't have enough channels to make it work while. I have thought about it because I can get the Dallas locals in HD (I hear) but we record a lot of network shows and we would not have the room for them on the unit in HD. I was under the impression that if I added the HD package that all my locals would be in HD only, but a guy I met the other day says that you can record the locals in either HD or SD, that they are separate channels like the HBO ch 70 and then the SD ones on 5XX?
    Is this true?

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    i hope so, i am about to get directv hd

3. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Yes, HD & SD locals are totally separate channels.
    BTW, you do NOT need to add any HD pkg to get your locals in HD - if you sub to locals, you get the HD versions at no extra charge.

4. jimmymiko

jimmymiko Just another day!

Mar 29, 2003
    Walworth NY
    To watch the Pats get spanked by the Dolphins? :D

5. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...

Advertisements

seriously, that was freaking ugly!!!!

but yeah, would have made the wooping feel a little less worse in HD :)

my HD TV arrives tomorrow :)

6. peterbilt

peterbilt New Member

May 28, 2003
    D/FW
    rberryman:

You can get your locals OTA and record them on the HR10-250. You can also get them over the dish but that requires the new dish and the new DVR as they are all in MPEG4 format.

So, you can record HBO, SHO, KXAS, KTVT, etc. with what you have today (although your antenna will make the difference with what you pick up OTA, but that's a different thread). If you add the HD package you get ESPN, TNT, DISCOVERY, HDNET, etc. The premium channels and the locals are NOT dependant on the HD package.

7. RBerryman

RBerryman Just a Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    We added an antenna when we upgraded to HD but we have a hill behind us that is between us and Cedar Hill so never have successfully gotten OTA HD or SD, I currently get the local channels in SD via Sat. and was under the impression that I could get the locals via Sat. in HD using my current equipment (HD TiVo and 3 LNB dish) but I had to add the HD package to get it, reading the above answers I seem to be getting 2 different answers.

8. RBerryman

RBerryman Just a Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    just got off the phone with DirecTV, my older HD TiVo unit will not work with the HD Locals via Sat., I would have to "Upgrade" to the DirecTV DVR which is not a TiVo unit, so unless I can figure out how to get HD OTA there is no HD Locals in my future.

9. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    That's what we always say when this question is asked.

Don't just give up. Go to the parent forum, AVS, and look in the Local HDTV section. Find the Dallas OTA thread. There will probably be people in your area of Dallas that have already gone through the trial and error process of getting HD.

-Robert

10. shacky

shacky New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Personally, I find ESPNHD and HDNET is worth the price of admission alone.
    Especially with the $10 per month credit I'm currently getting for the year ($5 for the HD package and $5 for SuperFan)
    Now if they'll only add Sci-Fi, Comedy Central, and NFL Channel to the list

11. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Since there isn't an HD version of Sci-Fi or Comedy Central, then you will have a lot of waiting to do. I still don't know where DirecTV will get their 40 national HD channels that they have promised.

ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD is worth it for me. I've watched more HD college football this year than ever before.

-Robert