HD Tivo Locked Up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gardavis, Sep 5, 2007.

1. gardavis

gardavis Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    I went on vacation Saturday and returned 3 days later. Powered up the TV and Receiver and nothing showed but a black screen. I pressed assorted buttons on the Tivo remote. Tried cycling power on the TV and Receiver (not the Tivo). After a few other Tivo remote button presses (Info was the last), the Tivo finally displayed on the TV.

I checked the recordings and nothing since Saturday afternoon. The ToDo history said programs were not recorded due to no power or something.

We did have a power failure during the weekend apparently, though the Tivo is on a UPS. The Tivo must have rebooted or reset or something since the 30-second skip was not enabled.

I have 2 S-Cards and an antenna connected to the Tivo and the HD has been upgraded. The Tivo has been very reliable so far. I don't think I have ever had to cycle power on it, even during the cable card installs.

Hopefully this is a one-time glitch.

Gary Davis

2. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Gary,

You may want to test your UPS to ensure the battery is functioning. Also, depending on capacity of the UPS and the amount of recording being done and the length of the power outage it may very well have run the battery completely down and thus lost power.

CCourtney

3. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I had this glitch once. It hasn't happened again. I think it may be caused by my cable company hitting reset or checking on the legitimacy of the connection (we had flooding the day before the problem arose).

4. gardavis

gardavis Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    This morning, the Tivo was again hung. Pressing the remote buttons does not show the orange led light up.

After a minute of fiddling around with the remote, power cycling the TV and Receiver, the Tivo spontaneously rebooted. When it came up, all was well. Also, System Info showed I had been upgraded to the new version (2c).

I will report back if it hangs a third time.

Gary

5. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    HA! I think we have it - I froze up this morning too. The last time I froze up was the morning of the 24th so it may be related to the updates.

Anyone from Tivo listening? They have not recognized this as an issue (I called this morning).

6. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    My Series3 was hung this morning also; this was the third time this has happened in a the last few days. There have been a few self generated reboots also. No button works, and the screen shows a frozen "live" picture. This is a new problem; I've had the Series3 for almost a year without seeing this problem. Hope its not disk related.

7. aharris999

aharris999 New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I have a brand new Tivo HD box and mine is doing the same thing -- self-rebooting, frozen picture, no buttons working, etc. It's sporadic and typically happens when Tivo is connecting via internet to retrieve program data & sw updates.

8. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Hmm.

Went on vacation on Monday, August 27th, returned Thursday August 30th and mine wasn't having any issues at all.

It even taped about another 75 suggestions.

Mine is also on a UPS.

It sounds like the box itself might be faulty.