HD Tivo in continuous reboot despite replacing power supply and hard drive.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PleaseHelp!, Mar 20, 2011.

1. PleaseHelp!

PleaseHelp! New Member

Mar 20, 2011

Advertisements

I have an HD Tivo I bought from Weaknees a few years ago in an infinite reboot loop. It constantly goes from the “powering up” screen, to a black screen for several seconds, then back to “powering up”. I have a second Tivo – a Premiere, which works fine.

Weaknees told me it needed a new drive, then a new power supply, which I bought from them and had them install. They returned the unit and it still ran in this loop.

I sent the Tivo back to Weaknees, who insisted the unit worked fine for them, but told me they re-replaced the power supply and hard drive, and verified it worked.

They sent it back to me, and I still have the same problem! Weaknees suggested it was a problem either with my cable or my power. So upon receiving it the second time here is exactly what I did, and why I’m certain it’s nothing on my end:

I plugged it into the same UPS that my other Tivo is plugged into. I did not plug it into any other outlet.

I then took the cable (I have Comcast) from my working Tivo and plugged it into this one.

Try 1: no cable card in. Didn’t work
    Try 2: cable card in. Didn’t work
    Try 3: cable card from working tivo. Didn’t work
    Try 4: unplugged cable, cable card from working tivo. Didn’t work
    Try 5: unplugged cable, No cable card. Didn’t work
    I’ve emailed Weaknees about what they intend to do next, but am increasingly doubtful they will be able to resolve this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

2. kazz244

kazz244 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    I have an HD that started rebooting...not as continuously, but maybe 4 times a night. I relpaced the hard drive, and the symptoms continued. I replaced to power cord, and it hasn't happened since.

Did you send the power cord in with the unit? If not, try that.

QUOTE=PleaseHelp!;8438818]I have an HD Tivo I bought from Weaknees a few years ago in an infinite reboot loop. It constantly goes from the “powering up” screen, to a black screen for several seconds, then back to “powering up”. I have a second Tivo – a Premiere, which works fine.

Weaknees told me it needed a new drive, then a new power supply, which I bought from them and had them install. They returned the unit and it still ran in this loop.

I sent the Tivo back to Weaknees, who insisted the unit worked fine for them, but told me they re-replaced the power supply and hard drive, and verified it worked.

They sent it back to me, and I still have the same problem! Weaknees suggested it was a problem either with my cable or my power. So upon receiving it the second time here is exactly what I did, and why I’m certain it’s nothing on my end:

I plugged it into the same UPS that my other Tivo is plugged into. I did not plug it into any other outlet.

I then took the cable (I have Comcast) from my working Tivo and plugged it into this one.

Try 1: no cable card in. Didn’t work
    Try 2: cable card in. Didn’t work
    Try 3: cable card from working tivo. Didn’t work
    Try 4: unplugged cable, cable card from working tivo. Didn’t work
    Try 5: unplugged cable, No cable card. Didn’t work
    I’ve emailed Weaknees about what they intend to do next, but am increasingly doubtful they will be able to resolve this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

3. PleaseHelp!

PleaseHelp! New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    A powercord making the difference. That's interesting. I can't imagine how that would happen, but you're right that I didn't send it along with the unit. I'll look into that.

Thanks

4. PleaseHelp!

PleaseHelp! New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks again for the suggestion. I tried using the power cord from my working tivo, it didn't improve things.

5. greekgodess

greekgodess New Member

Jun 13, 2010

Advertisements

Hi, i just posted a reply on another page to this same problem. First of all, you can not switch around cable cards!! each cable card is coded to that box only. Tivo tech got me to do that and it fried my HD box! They had to replace it. Got another one and it started that continues rebooting thing. After several calls to Tivo and one final screaming fit with them I finally got someone on the phone who knew what they were talking about. In the interim of replacing the box I had upgraded my service with Fios to a higher speed (35/25 they call it). The Tivo HD boxes are not capable of handling 100mbs speeds from the coax cable. It sends too much signal and it cannot process that fast. They had me get whats called an "attenuator". It reduces the signal strength to the box. it just a piece that you screw onto the coax cable before its plugged into the box. Check your settings on the box: go to "account & system info", "system info", you should NOT see 100mbps. Using the attenuator fixed everything!

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Was this attenuator fix deal recent? There was a well known hot signal problem with FIOS that was fixed by TiVo software updates more than a year ago.

7. greekgodess

greekgodess New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    yes, actually just last week. I hadn't used this HD box for a couple of months cause we were in the process of remodeling. Then when I to get it set up again, found this issue.

you'll know if you are having the same problem by going into your messages and settings, then account and system info, then dvr diagnostics. if your signal strength is 100 then that is the problem. Support says to function well, signal should be 90 or less. Also, SNR should be less than 50dB.

BTW..attenuator was on ebay for about $5.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That's not quite correct. You can have signal strengths of 100 and it's not a problem unless the actual signal strength is much greater than 100. The reading pegs at 100 so you have no way of knowing how much greater than 100 the actual strength is, although SNR can give you a clue. I run with strength greater than 100 on many of my channels with no problems and many others report the same. In my case, I've experimented with attenuators to determine that my actual strength is only slightly above 100.

Was that TiVo support that gave you those limits on strength and SNR? I would be very surprised because they disagree with TiVo's support page info and with my experience and other posts here. The recommended strength range is 80-99, and for SNR it's 32-35 dB. I've never seen any indication that signal strengths in the range 90-99 are a problem and 50 dB is an outlandish SNR number -- first I've heard it ever spoken of here. Usually anything above about 37 dB suggests too much strength.

Here's the TiVo support page on these topics:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL2UyRVZrQXBr

9. PleaseHelp!

PleaseHelp! New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I tried rebooting with no cable plugged in and the problem persists. Can it also result from the signal being too low (i.e. as a result of there not being a cable plugged in?)

Thanks!

10. PleaseHelp!

PleaseHelp! New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I tested the voltage in our house this evening - 125 volts, which should be well within normal range, so it shouldn't be a voltage issue.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You emailed Weaknees.com 2 days ago. What did they say?