1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD Tivo Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bonnie C, May 9, 2018.

1. May 9, 2018 #1 of 47
    Bonnie C

Bonnie C New Member

May 9, 2018
    8 year old Tivo HD has died. Cannot make a connection to retrieve program info. We watched these shows for a long time after it began failing to connect but when we moved this Tivo to another room after a couple weeks due to a move it seems I cannot access unless a set-up is completed. How can I get around this set-up, since it can't connect anymore but all my programming is locked inside?

2. May 9, 2018 #2 of 47
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I cannot follow your issue. You stopped service and cannot start again? Or is it in some reboot loop? I'm guessing the power supply has gone bad, or potentially the hard drive. But not bgg understanding what you mean by needing a set up to resume service.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. Bonnie C

Bonnie C New Member

May 9, 2018
    Hi - ok, here's the story. We moved to another state last fall. Tivo HD was in storage for 4 months. In the new house, we went thru setup with new zip code, made a phone connection, got programming & all was well UNTIL the daily phone call began to fail, consistently. We finally decided it was dead & bought a new Bolt but continued to watch all the stored shows with no problem. It just didn't retrieve new info. Then it moved to another room for a few days where I planned to watch it down to no shows & sadly then trash it. When we plugged it in, it demanded we go thru setup again, but since it can't make a phone connection, it will not allow access to programs stored. Tivo advises it's kaput and shows are not available any longer. I am crushed! To be fair, we do not have it hooked into a phone line where it is now, but since it couldn't make a call anyway, we figure that would be useless. It's too old a box to try wireless; we did that some years ago with no success. I'm hoping someone can help getting to many months of recordings. There is no service on this Tivo any longer, I guess - even tho it's covered by a lifetime "membership" and I had to buy a new plan for the Bolt, so it's not like they transferred that plan from an old to new machine, cancelling service. As far as Tivo is concerned I still have a working box, except - it's isn't working :). Maybe you can make sense of this for me and find a solution. I'm guessing not, but....thanks for the reply!!

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can't speak from personal experience, but is Ethernet not an option?

5. Bonnie C

Bonnie C New Member

May 9, 2018
    I actually have no idea what Ethernet is but hubby probably does. Will ask & see if it's an option. I may not be able to reply again right away as I have a busy day coming up but will return soon as I can. Good morning, btw!

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As Joe indicated, even if temporary, connect it via an Ethernet connection so it can make a service connection. Can you post a picture of the prompt for setup though? Unless someone triggered that, I'm not sure why it would be forcing you to do it unless it's just a prompt given that it has not made a service connection in so long.

Note that if you connect it via Ethernet you can also transfer any remaining shows to a PC or to the Bolt (if you are still running the gen3 UI and not Hydra and your cable company does not copy protect them).

Scott

7. Bonnie C

Bonnie C New Member

May 9, 2018
    I will try to see about Ethernet but when I asked hubby he said well, we'd need some kind of cable....I will press on that again. We also wondered if because we removed the cable card it had some effect. Likely not but I am going to ask our cable people to let me have one to try, even tho I would not be pairing it up. It's the only thing that changed when we moved the box, the cable card is gone. I will post a picture as soon as I can, but there are several screens to go thru in the process. I will take a pic of each, on the way to trying to connect via phone line, and maybe post each one; easy enough to do. Thanks for answering, I will be back tomorrow.

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Ethernet cables are not very expensive depending how long you need to reach the router from your TV closest to the HD (even if you are just locating it there temporarily).

Scott

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it's times like these i miss rent-a-shack. :eek:

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Walmart sells Cat-5 almost as cheaply as Monoprice.

Mikeguy and NorthAlabama like this.
  11. Bonnie C

Bonnie C New Member

May 9, 2018
    Now you've totally lost me :confused:! I have no idea what a Cat-5 is OR rent-a-shack :(

12. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Cat-5 (or "category 5") is a very common type of ethernet networking cable. The cable is made up of 8 twisted wires that covered by the outer casing, and a finished cable has a connector on each end of the cable. It looks something like the cord that plugs into your telephone, but the jack is larger (and the cable is typically thicker). You can find finished Cat-5 cables for very low cost at typical retail locations, such as Target or Wal-Mart. Electronics stores such as Best Buy will sell them, as do home centers such as Home Depot or Lowes.

rent-a-shack is a less than flattering description of the old Radio Shack stores, which are now out of business.

13. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    If your HD has lifetime service you should be able to get it up and running. The question is if you are in guided setup you may be "stuck", especially if using cable. You could be in an endless loop (S03 errors?). If that is the case you may have to clear and delete everything, you would lose your recordings. And if stuck in the S03 guided setup loop you would have to access clear and delete through kickstart command, have to look through the forums to find how to do that. Definitely try an ethernet connection if possible, even wireless, anything other than phone. You MUST be connected to do guided setup. Do NOT listen to Tivo support about the box being "kaput", sounds like it is still working, you just need to get through guided setup, ethernet or wireless adapter. How is your Bolt connected, wireless or ethernet? If you get the HD connected to your network you MAY still be able to access/transfer your recordings from/to the Bolt though not sure if the Bolt will see the recordings if the HD is stuck in guided setup, probably not, you'd have to complete guided setup. Whatever you do don't pitch the HD, odds are very good you can get it up and running though you MIGHT lose your recordings.

14. Bonnie C

Bonnie C New Member

May 9, 2018
    I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT :) AND I HAVE SEEN A CAT-5 CABLE, JUST DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT'S CALLED. I AM JUST SO CRUSHED OVER LOSING ALL MY SHOWS I CAN'T QUITE THINK. THE ONLY WAY THIS TIVO CAN MAKE A CONNECTION IS BY PHONE AND IT WON'T, SO I AM PRETTY SURE I'M SUNK. I'LL KEEP READING ALL THE POSTS & MAYBE A MIRACLE WILL HAPPEN (YEAH, RIGHT!). THANKS FOR POSTING!

15. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Please include city and state in your profile...

16. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Seriously, you can get a 75' cable for less than $20 at Wal Mart. Connect one end to the ethernet LAN port on the HD, and the end to your router, and you should be in business.

17. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Why?
    A TiVo HD should have an Ethernet jack on the back.
    There are also USB to Ethernet adapters available too.

18. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    The Tivo.com store has refurbished TiVO Wireless N adapters available for purchase, which will work with your wifi network (I've used the older versions with my old HD units).

19. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Don't bother with a CAT5 cable, just get CAT5e or CAT6. They are ALL cheap, no sense in limiting yourself to a CAT5 (max 100mbs) when you can get CAT5e so cheap (newegg?)
    That makes no sense to me, a Tivo HD can connect with a wireless G adapter or ethernet. If you are using a Bolt you must have access to ethernet or wireless (on a Bolt you'd be using the internal wireless I assume). So the HD can connect the same way, though you'd need the wireless adapter if you want to try wireless. Tivo wireless G adapters like $20 on ebay? Ethernet free if you have the cable, if your Bolt is connected by ethernet why not temporarily disconnect it and hook up the HD to the same connection? At least until you get through guided setup.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. tapokata

tapokata Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I recommend an inexpensive cable, as long as necessary, as a temporary solution, but only in order to get the HD box back in communication with the TiVo service. Cat-5 is fine, as the LAN port on the HD box is fast ethernet (100 mbps). Cat-6 or Cat-7 will also work, but it's overkill (and likely more expensive than than Cat-5). Furthermore, if there is no intent to continue to use the HD, you can keep the hardwire connection in place for a few days, while the recordings on the HD are transferred over to the Bolt.

The only streaming app that still works on the HD is Netflix, and it works over an HD connected via wifi (but not very well, as the app predates Netflix's use of user profiles). For the service connections and guide updates, network speed really isn't an issue.