HD Tivo HD failure?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Mark Rubin, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore
    well my HD Tivo has gone south: it keeps rebooting on it's own: I have the D* service plan and a replacement is on it's way

Question: I added a second hard drive when I got the unit in Jan 2004 so I plan to remove it when I do the swap: is there any way I can tell if it the base unit or the added drive that is causing the problem other than just reinstalling the second drive in the replacement?

also: does D* usually send a refurb or a new unit in a case like this?

2. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    There is software to check the hard drives from manufacturer. It is probably the original WD drive.

3. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    I had the same problem a couple of months back. In my case, however, it was my added drive and not the WD original. Mine wouldn't even reboot - I could hear a "clicking" noise on the unit. When I tested both drives, it turned out the one making the "click" was the added drive.

4. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Same here. I sent mine back to Weaknees for a reformat and they told me that the drive had bad sectors. They replaced it for a fee, since I was out of the 6 month warranty.