HD tivo dvr

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ethanjacejacob, May 2, 2006.

1. ethanjacejacob

ethanjacejacob New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Washington...

Advertisements

I currently have a Direct DVR. I want to upgrade to a HD tivo DVR. The local Seattle channels should be available in HD around July. I want to record local HD channels, along with other HD channels Directv offers. Any suggestions???

2. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Not yet. There is no DirecTV receiver with TiVo that will record local channels unless they are OTA and there won't be. If you can get your locals OTA than the HR10-250 will work for you, but if you are waiting for the locals to be transmitted via the satellite, then you'll have to wait for the HR20, which will NOT have TiVo software.

The HD locals are transmitted in MPEG-4 format and the HR10 is MPEG-2. In July, depending on who you believe, the HR20 should be available (or very close). However, you will have to go to the DBSforum to discuss it.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    As Guindalf points out, if you can receive our Seattle local HDTV channels with an over-the-air antenna, that's the way to go. Remember that when DirecTV starts providing HD Locals via their new MPEG4 satellites, you only get ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. If you want PBS, WB, UPN, KONG, and our other local HDTV channels, you'll need an over-the-air antenna (or Cable TV).

4. ethanjacejacob

ethanjacejacob New Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Washington...
    What if I only wanted to record local channels in SD using an HD tivo, would the unit let me do that? And could I also view local UPN, KONG, ect... in SD?
    I live 150 miles from Seattle, so the Off Air Antenna will not work. I really only want to view HDTV live. Recording HD locals, not a big deal I guess.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

You can get the HR10-250 or normal DirecTV TiVo to record your locals, and a straight MPEG4 capable HD receiver for your HD locals.

6. tbb1226

tbb1226 TiVo Junkie

Sep 16, 2004
    Royal Oak, MI
    You say that now, but it won't be long before you realize that you NEED to record HD. Trust me, I've been there... :)

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You live 150 miles from Seattle and your local channels are the Seattle channels? Really?

Anyway, the answer to your question is yes .... the HR10-250 can record DirecTV's SD locals just fine. In fact, they use a lot less disk space than HD channels.