HD TIVO - Cable Card HELP NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mharbold, Oct 13, 2007.

1. mharbold

mharbold Member

Apr 6, 2002

Advertisements

Hi. I have had an HD Tivo for 3 weeks, and we still can't watch premium channels. Comcast says it's a TIVO problem, or that they need to replace the cable card (For the 12th time!), and TIVO says it's a Comcast problem. I don't know what to do. I've had so many issues with this TIVO from day 1 - trying to get the cable cards to work, not having any stations, etc., but we've now had live TV for 2 weeks without premium channels. When I switch to a premium channel, I get one of 3 things - either a gray screen, a frozen picture on the premium channel - it tunes and then freezes, or the screen that says contact your cable card provider. Sometimes I get all three of these things on one channel...(not at the same time). I could go into the channel and have a gray screen. Back out and go back in and have a picture that freezes, and back out again and go in and get the cable message. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I'm using an M-card, because Comcast could not get the second S card to work in our TIVO. They claim that everything is paired correctly. Tivo says it's not. I don't want Comcast to switch cable cards because the last time they tried that, I didn't have TV for a week.

Something interesting...when I didn't have any live TV, and I had the gray screen that I have now on my premium channels, I was still able to record shows. When I went to watch them, there was nothing there....just a gray screen. Then, a wekk later, when I got live TV back, I went back and was able to watch the previously recorded shows that were gray screen, and now I had full video. Very strange. Does this indicate the problem is a TIVO issue or a Comcast issue?

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Sorry to hear about your problem. :( The description in the first paragraph points to a bad cable card. But if you've actually replaced it 12 times the odds are one of the cards would have been good.

Your second paragraph makes me wonder about the connection. I’m a bit confuse though. Are you saying that the recordings on the premium channels are actually okay and you can play them back but that you can't see the channels "live"?

What connection method are you using between TiVo and your TV; HDMI, component (YPbPr/green, blue, red), S-Video, etc.? If you're using an HDMI cable it may be that the HDCP "handshake" negotiation may not be working. That could be the fault of the TV (some Sony's are notorious for that), a bad HDMI cable or TiVo.

Let us know how you're set up equipment-wise and hopefully we can help. Don't lose hope, it will work eventually. ;)

3. smartleydunn

smartleydunn New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    if you're getting everything except the premium channels, it's a Comcast issue not a TIVO issue. the same way they can turn on and turn off different premium channels on your cable box. You just need to find someone at Comcast who knows how to do that.

Best of luck.

4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    That was my first thought as well, but if, as the OP states, they've swapped out a dozen cable cards you'd think someone would have figured that out. Plus the second part is still confusing as it appears that TiVo is receiving and recording the premium channels, but the OP isn't able to view them live(?) :confused: Guess we’ll have to wait and see what they come back with.

5. mharbold

mharbold Member

Apr 6, 2002

Advertisements

Sorry I haven't responded. I didn't realize that anyone had answered my post. No, I'm not able to watch recorded premium channels. What I meant was that a week before, when I didn't have any of my channels, TIVO was recording my shows. When I went to watch them, I had a blank screen. Then, a week later when Comcast finally paired the cards correctly for the regular channels, I was able to go back and watch those shows that had recorded when I had the gray screen....and they were there! Strange, huh?

We're up to 19 hours of cable guys in my house and they still haven't figured out why I'm not getting my premium channels. I now KNOW that it's a Comcast issue because I can get all of my regular and HD channels...just not HBO, SHOWTIME and STARZ. Tivo can't discriminate between channels. Anway, I finally got a supervisor out yesterday and he totally understood it was a Comcast problem and did a whole bunch of things to all of the jacks in the house to reduce this noise he said was coming from them. He was then ready to rebuild my account and got this jerk of a dispatcher who told him (while he was on speakerphone) to tell the lady to take back the piece of junk TIVO, that it probably was a used box from Philadelphia and that it's not a Comcast problem. The supervisor could not believe this guy and is taking this to coporate. Unbelievable.

6. lemieuxfan67

lemieuxfan67 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    mharbold:

I know what you are going through. I am going through the same thing right now. I can't get my NHL Center ICE channels to work for me. I get all the same errors you do. The problems lies with the CCI byte for the channel. Usually, normal channels (non premium) have a CCI byte of 0x00. This means that there is no "encryption" on the channel. What cable companies usually do is "encrypt" the channel to a CCI byte of 0x02, 0x03, etc. so that they are copy protected. For example, a channel with a CCI byte of anything but 0x00 will not allow you to transfer the recordings to your computer via TTG when that becomes available.

The good news is that i know this is what the problem is. The bad news is that I can't get comcast to fix the problem. They have my host and data ID's all correct, from what they say. The answer from most people on here will tell you that they are not paired correctly. I really don't know what to tell comcast anymore. I'm going on week 2 of no NHL...this is crazy!!!

7. mharbold

mharbold Member

Apr 6, 2002
    lemieuxfan67, where are you from? I'm from a Philly suburb. I read a link that finally explained what is going on, and you are correct. It also said that the cable card needs to be validated. If, on the conditional access screen, it has val? 0x03, then the card is not validated. It should have a 'V' before the number.
    (val? V0x03)I just left a message for the supervisor, and hopefully he'll be able to get with a comcast dispatcher who knows how to "validate" a card. It's ridiculous...they have the technology but are not trained to use it. Maybe if(?) they get mine fixed, you could have your Comcast people call mine to help get your issue resolved. I'm going on 4 weeks without premium channels!!

8. lemieuxfan67

lemieuxfan67 New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    mharbold,

I am in the central vemont area. I am in the process of talking to my tech, who is going back and forth with ATS. It would be nice to talk to ATS myself, but that won't happen. ATS doesn't get back to my tech on time to thats what is causing the delay. The tech has been really good about it though...I will be looking to get some type of credit pretty soon.

One of the big problems is that some of these people from comcast think they know what they are doing, but they are not trained properly. I mean, I just read this forum and I probably know more about cableCARDs then most techs. I also believe that comcast is not training their techs on purpose becuase they want to make cableCARDs a headache for us. Oh well, just my opinion.

Keep us updated.

9. monroe

monroe New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Yep, this clearly indicates a cablecard/Comcast issue. Your Tivo recorded a premium channel, but the Tivo would NOT let you view it because the cablecards didn't tell it that you were authorized. A week later, when Comcast finally paired your cards correctly the cablecards NOW told the Tivo that you were authorized and you could watch them.