HD technology illiterate here.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cruise182, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1 of 21
    cruise182

cruise182 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    HD technology illiterate here.

Hello, Just bought my plasma TV. I purchased a new HD tivo from best buy for 500. Upgraded my dtv to include the HD channels. The picture is amazing!! However the HD programming on the networks is not ½ as good. Why is that? I live in Philadelphia and Get my local networks through DTV. Any help would be appreciated!!
    :eek:

2. Jan 7, 2006 #2 of 21
    mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I assume your watching the NY HD Nets in the 80s. What connection are you using from the HD TiVo to the TV? Are you in at least 720p mode?

3. Jan 7, 2006 #3 of 21
    cruise182

cruise182 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Thanks for the quick response. First I have to say the Dtv technician screwed up our install. I was at work so I did not notice until I got home. My wife said he did not come in the house to check the channels. So I am getting 70-79 hd channels. But in the process I have lost a few channels such as bravo, and tlc to name a few. DTV is sending out a technician to fix the problem.

In any event, I thought I would be able to watch the networks from 3,6,10.......From what you are saying I will have to watch them from 80+ on the receiver? I thought I checked there but I get the same message that I get from TLC, Bravo ect....."searching for satellite" So perhaps I will be able to get them once the tech fixes the problem. Thank you so much!

4. Jan 7, 2006 #4 of 21
    cruise182

cruise182 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Oh, and I think they instaled a 3lnb oval dish.

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 21
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    With an HR10-250, your low-numbered local channels are SD, not HD. The only HD "locals" you can get are either with an OTA antenna or if you get waivers for the "distant network" channels in the 80s (CBSE, NBCE, etc.) DirecTV does not yet offer an HD DVR than can get the new HD local channels that are really local.

You should not be getting a "searching for satellite" message. If you do, your install is messed up. If you tune to a channel you're not authorized for, which will include the distant network channels if you did not apply for and were granted waivers, you'll get a different message saying so.

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 21
    cruise182

cruise182 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Ok, So I guess I need to call DTV, and tell them I want to be able to get networks (not local) in HD. They will give me a pass that will allow me to see them in HD. These channels will be found in the 80's on the receiver. Do I have this correct? Perhaps I do have the pass...but I we know the installer did screw up as I am getting the same message for the other channels that Ilost when I was upgraded...TLC, BRAVO and others......I am sorry for the dumb questions. I am at my wits end.
    50" TV 5k
    new tivo 500
    HDMI 125
    new dish 49
    wall mount 349
    new phone jack 125
    thumb drive for tv 50
    surround sound 275

I am burning through the $$$!!

7. Jan 7, 2006 #7 of 21
    cruise182

cruise182 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    One more question. I live in the "yellow" area according to the antenna site. I have ordered a OTA from DTV. They will install it when they come to fix my other issues. Will this give me HD? Will they have to drill more holes? Will I have to switch something to go between regular programming and the OTA? Thanks

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 21
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The antenna will deliver broadcast digital TV channels, if it can pick them up. The installer will probably connect the antenna to one of the existing feeds with a "diplexer" and put another one at the other end to split it out. You rerun Guided Setup on the TiVo saying you have an antennna. Then the digital channels will appear in the guide along side the DTV channels.

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 21
    cruise182

cruise182 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Thanks!!! I feel like an idiot!!! :eek: :up:

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ensure you get all your OTA in if you are paying DTV to install an antenna. Dont sign it if you dont get them. If you are close enough to philly you will get a lot OTA. I'm 40 miles out and get good signals for abc,nbc,cbs,upn...wb and fox aren't so good until I get a better location on my roof.

for philly, your locals will be 3-1 6-1 10-1 etc....all integrated right in the guide. Also keep in mind most HD programming is in the evening. But even the SD OTA is so much better than DTV crap, it's worth the bars on the sides of your tv.

11. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    stevel and newsposter explained that the ota channels are intergrated with the guide. You don't have to "switch" anything to change from your OTA to SAT source or vice-versa. You just enter the channel numbers. It's as easy as changing channels.

For example, newsposter mentioned 3-1 is a Philly HD channel. So if you were on channel 282, D* SAT, and you wanted to go to 3-1, you enter 3-1 on your remote and your channel changes to 3-1. That's it. The skip button is the [-] for the OTA digital channels. You could also select any channel including OTA from the guide.

So OTA and SAT are seamlessly integrated into the unit. It's a great feature.

12. SecureTalk

SecureTalk New Member

Apr 8, 2002

I am considering getting at H10-250 also. But before I lay out the the cash for HDTV, HDMI, wall mount and possibly surround sound I want to be sure I can receive the OTA signals (40 miles north of Philly) and the other DTV HD sats.
    I have my current round dish mounted to a tree pointing down a tree lined creek. I'm not sure my view is wide enough to see the other DTV sats containing the HD content. Can I order a H10-250 and use it with a standard TV until I'm sure it will get reception from all the sats before plunking down $5k for a HDTV and accessories?

HD OTA may be a problem, unless the signals are strong, Normal SD signals are weak and very snowy. 40 miles may just be too far. So I'd like to see if I would qualify for the distant HD local networks.

13. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    An HR10-250 will work with a standard TV, but DirecTV told me they won't offer you a deal on one unless you have an HDTV.

14. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Guys, keep the acronyms straight. DTV is short for "digital television". D* or DirecTV is the proper term for the satellite provider we discuss here. They keep a tight leash on people in the parent forum. I'm not sure why the mods here don't do the same.

And how do they know? Do they send an expert to your house to check? Most installers wouldn't know an HDTV from a hole in the ground.

-Robert

15. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, they did send an installer to my house and he was competent. YMMV.

DirecTV did ask me if I had an HDTV. I suppose I could have lied.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    secure....they wont even mount the thing if you cant get line of sight for all 3, so no worries there. I wanted to sign a waiver that I understand i dont get 119 but they still wouldn't let me do it. ^**^&*^

did my own install

17. SecureTalk

SecureTalk New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    How does the installer know if you can get reception from all 3 satellites, without actual installing the dish?

I did my current dish install myself. The installer refused to install the dish where it currently is located due to
    #1 the distance from the house over 150 feet.
    #2 the dish is mounted to a tree, which is in a flood plane, any type of pole mount
    would not stand up to the flood waters and ice flows hitting it. The tree is the
    sturdiest method of installing the dish. He would not mount on a tree even if
    the distance was not an issue.

My best option would be to do the same thing I did the last time and just sign the paperwork and let him go on his way. The let me do the install myself. They did not refuse me, but I guess it is up to the installer.

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    If his little instrument says so, it MUST be true. Ironwood from philly, and their wonderful manager Nathan, are the worst customer service people I ever talked to. Worse than DTV, worse than AOL etc. The guy that came out said i can't get the 119 from my current location and said i'd need a huge roof mount they couldn't supply. What he didn't do, was go further into the yard to 'see' around the big tree in the way. DUH! Then when i tried get a resolution, turned out they were doing stuff without the bosses approval and also everytime the boss was supposed to call me back, he had his sec'y call me because he didn't want to have to deal with me, even though he said he'd personally take care of it. Of course it was always bad news. Got fed up.

If i tried, i'm pretty sure a mount in the yard(or on one of my trees) would be just fine. But that's additional cable etc I'd have to buy to even try it out and can't do that in winter

19. cruise182

cruise182 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    What is on 119? I have has so many issues with installer. They installed my oval dish. When they left I had HD channels but lost TLC, bravo and others.
    Sent a new tech. He got tlc and bravo running. he left. Went to turn on HD and that was now lost. Went outised and saw that 2 of the 4 wires coming from roof were not connected.
    I connected them and then went inside and rebooted.
    It said I was only getting signal from 1 sat. Called d* and they did something on their end and now have HD and the other channels I was missing. I want to reboot to see if I am now showing all 3 sats, but I am afraid i may loose HD or other channels.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

20. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Well I know you can check signal levels in the settings menu without rebooting so try that first. I can tell the 119 is zero but the 101 and 110 are fine for me.

and you should never have to fear a reboot. it usually only helps things. (unless you could have a bad drive I guess)

I dont know what's on the 119 other than to say some of the channels in the 70s are and 2 of the national network feeds are. I'm sure there's a list somewhere here if you do a search.