HD SYNC Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jonhunt, Jan 2, 2006.

1. jonhunt

jonhunt New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Advertisements

I don't think this is a TIVO issue exactly, but I am note sure. I have two HD issues. One is that when I switch to a HD channel the image size is much smaller than on regular channels. I don't see a way to change that in the TV setup. Is that normal? The second issue is that I view HD on Video 1 and there is a very thin line at the top of the image that almost looks like a line of highly compressed type. It is anoying. I can change to Video 6 and the line disappears, but then the video and audio are way out of sync. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Are you trying to watch 16x9 material on a 4x3 television and it is being letterboxed?

Or, if you are using a 16x9 model, the material showing might have been filmed with a different aspect ratio. Look in your set's menu for some control affecting this, terms like wide, fill sceen, or something similiar.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "smaller"....

3. jonhunt

jonhunt New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I'm not sure what you mean by 4 X 3 and 16 X 9.

I am watching a Sony 32 inch HD screen and regular channels fill the screen. HD channels fill the width, but not the depth and I get a line at the top.

I checked the setup and I can find nothing that appears to affect this.

Thanks.

4. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Is your Sony a conventional "squarish" television (4x3 ratio) or a more rectangular (16x9) one? I think a 32 inch set would be a 4x3 one but am not certain; they make 30 and 34 inch 16x9 models currently.

By "depth", do you mean the height (top to bottom)?

I think what is happening is that you are trying to watch widescreen material on a conventional television but am not sure. If this is the case, is what you see similar to what you see when you watch a wide screen DVD on it? If so, this is normal as the material is made to fit a 16x9 wide screen, not an old fashioned 4x3 one. Not sure if you can do much about it unless some setting in your setup can attempt to adjust for this. Your Sony is made for regular channels (4x3), not widescreen ones if I am understanding you correctly.

The line at the top may be related to the overscan.

5. jonhunt

jonhunt New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Advertisements

This model is more of a square, so I guess I am stock. Is there anything that can likely be done about the overscan...which goes away if I change video channels, but then the audio and video are way out of sync.

6. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Are there any advanced video settings tucked away in your menu? You may have an overscan adjustment in there. Or it may only be available via a service menu.

Sorry for not being able to help. Good luck.

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    How are you able to change video inputs and still get a signal from the same tuner?

How many outputs does your HD source have? Is it an over-the-air tuner, or a cable box?

How do you have the HD source connected? Thru a receiver? Connected to both the TiVo and the television at the same time?

Are you aware your TiVo delays the picture and sound by about one second?

If you're getting the video from your TiVo and your audio from the HD source directly (or video from the HD source and audio thru the TiVo) you'll be seeing things out of sync.

How exactly do you have things set up?

8. jonhunt

jonhunt New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I can select, I guess through the Motorola Cable Box, Six or Seven different inputs.

It is so hard to get behind my equipment that I can't tell you exactly how it is set up, but I think it does come through a Sony Home Theatre system.

I know TIVO delays, but this delay must be a lot longer than one second.

Thanks anyway.