HD Recordings not showing up HD Recordings grouping

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jodo3k, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1 of 12
    jodo3k

jodo3k JD

Jan 24, 2006
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

I have recorded some TV shows that are on an HD channel. However the resulting recording is not appearing in the "HD Recordings" grouping.

I can't figure out why. Other programs recorded on the same channel are properly placed in the "HD Recordings" grouping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

2. Oct 3, 2008 #2 of 12
    DaJoos

DaJoos Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Well I'm not at home so I can't check for sure, but my guess would be that since every show broadcast on a 'High Def channel' is not actually shot in HD Tivo may use some sort of High Def flag rather than what channel is doing the recording as a way to group the recording. That is, if your High Def CBS station reruns an old 'Brady Bunch' episode during the day the episode is not actually High Def and won't be slotted in the High Def group.

3. Oct 3, 2008 #3 of 12
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Only programs that are flagged as HD will show up in the "HD Recordings" folder. Not all HD recordings are flagged by the networks as HD. Furthermore, not all widescreen programs shown on HD channels are actually HD; some are upconverted widescreen SD.

4. Oct 5, 2008 #4 of 12
    jodo3k

jodo3k JD

Jan 24, 2006
    Boston, MA
    So the HD Recordings is based on a flag that's in the TV Guide and NOT the fact that it's recorded on the Tivo as HD (thus taking up an HD program's amount of space)? I guess my next question is how does the Tivo decide to record HD? flagged show or channel that's marked as HD?

I have programs that are recorded on an HD channel, they may not be HD, but they still take up 6-7Gs per hour.

I've been using the HD Recordings group to keep an eye on the larger files.

I'm going to upgrade my hard drive soon, but I just thought there'd be a better way to keep an eye on the space hogs given the small HD they put on those things.

5. Oct 5, 2008 #5 of 12
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

Just because a program is on a HD channel doesn't mean its native high-definition. A number of channels have upconverted 4:3 SD and upconverted 16:9 SD programming.

True HD and upconverted SD recordings from HD channels will take up comparable space. Anything recorded from a HD channel will take up a significant amount of space.

TiVo uses a flag, but I don't think that flag is necessarily visible in the guide. As mentioned above, if a program isn't flagged as HD for some reason, it won't show up in your HD recordings folder.

6. Oct 5, 2008 #6 of 12
    jodo3k

jodo3k JD

Jan 24, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I guess what I was looking for was a way to easily detect programs recorded as HD (thus taking up 7Gs each) whether they were actually HD or not.

Since I still have the original hard drive, these files eat up space quickly and then I don't get many suggestions or anything. so the Tivo just doesn't do much but keep about 20 large files.

I was using the HD Recordings as a file management tool and I guess I'm figuring out it's not that.

Any way to single out the 7G(recorded as HD files size whether they are or not) files?

7. Oct 5, 2008 #7 of 12
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    AFAIK there's no easy way to do so on the TiVo itself. I've been monitoring my usage with TiVoPlayList on my computer. Sort the listings by Size and you get a good idea of what's big and what's not.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm

8. Oct 5, 2008 #8 of 12
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Tivo Desktop, and just look at the Tivo from there. It shows size.

9. Oct 5, 2008 #9 of 12
    jodo3k

jodo3k JD

Jan 24, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Sorry, forgot to mention I'm a Mac guy. Otherwise known as the bastard children Tivo doesn't like. ;)

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  11. jodo3k

jodo3k JD

Jan 24, 2006
    Boston, MA
    yeah. We have to pay $80 to get the equivalent functionality that windows users get for free. They outsourced the Mac app to Roxio or something like that.

They only thing Mac users get for free is the ability to play music from your computer and show photos from your computer.

There are some free alternatives, but they are so-so. anyway, off topic for the post... sorry. I was just venting.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Oh, OK. Didn't know the same functionality isn't available for the Mac. :(