HD recording of 0.00 length

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pvthndl, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Mar 9, 2007 #1 of 79
    pvthndl

pvthndl New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Southern Oregon

Advertisements

Twice now, my S3 has 'recorded' HD shows and when I went to view them they have a length of 0.00. Both are season passes and both have recorded correctly in the past. It happened to Boston Legal on Tuesday and Desp. Housewives on Sunday. Other shows (HD and non-HD) with season passes record just fine. I have rebooted with no change. Any ideas?

2. Mar 9, 2007 #2 of 79
    dconner

dconner Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Northern...
    I've seen this happen when I was getting "black screen" on a channel because my CableCard authorization was screwed up.

It seems like when that happens, the Series3 "compresses" the recording rather than just giving you 60 minutes of blackness, which the Series2 would do in similar circumstances. You might want to make sure you're getting the channel correctly, you're pointing at the right channel with the Season Pass, there weren't any power outages or other weirdness at the time, etc.

3. Mar 9, 2007 #3 of 79
    pvthndl

pvthndl New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I just checked. Both of these shows are on the HD version of ABC. It seems to be coming in just fine now, and I have recorded other ABC HD shows - even other episodes of these season passes just fine. I have had the S3 for about 2 months now and have never seen any problems with the cable cards. I will try and be around during the next recording of these shows to see if there were any power outages, but other shows that were on at the same time as these were recorded no problem. Still a mystery.

4. Mar 9, 2007 #4 of 79
    Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Check the Conditional Access screens in the cable card menus to see if the cards are subscribed.

5. Mar 9, 2007 #5 of 79
    pvthndl

pvthndl New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Southern Oregon

Advertisements

I assume that the cable cards are working fine since I have been using them for 2 months, get all of the right channels including HD when I look at them, and have successfully recorded many HD programs before. My understanding of the cards would indicate that they are therefore performing correctly. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

6. Mar 9, 2007 #6 of 79
    Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Well, the zero recording length indicates that Tivo didn't detect a signal on that channel.

It may be that your cards are not subscribed correctly.

7. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    I got a few 0:00 (partial) recordings the other day. The reason was that when my TIVO went to record those shows they were unavailable. Time Warner here in Columbus screwed up CableCards so that most HD channels weren't available for about 10 to 12 hours. So in my case it was Time Warners fault and not the Tivo's.

8. pvthndl

pvthndl New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Southern Oregon
    That sounds most likely. I cannot see how my cards would not be subscribed correctly since they work whenever I am watching TV and have recorded many shows on all channels within the last 2 months since install. I have both HD and non-HD versions of these two shows now tagged for recording next time and we'll see if it was a temporary thing.

9. brian-esq

brian-esq New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I have also had this problem come up routinely. The only time I have the 0.00 recordings is on the network HD feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC) coming through my Cable Cards. I had to resort to recording these channels via antenna. I was missing too many shows.

10. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    I am having this problem too. It didn't record the latest Desperate Housewives and the wife was not happy, which means I am not happy.

- Chris

11. kosherbacon

kosherbacon Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Philadelphia...
    I had this problem when I tried to record a program on a channel that I thought that was part of my lineup and was not. I can't imagine that ABC is not part of your lineup though. Sounds like there was s signal problem with ABC at the onset of the recording. At least ABC lets you download the episodes for free afterwards, right?

12. ygiagam

ygiagam New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    As of last night, Monday 03/12, I am still getting recordings of zero length on some channels. I am on TWC Columbus OH. I cannot reach customer service - I keep getting a busy signal. I just sent them an email. Hopefully they can get this fixed. All this after it worked great for more than two months. SIGH!

13. pvthndl

pvthndl New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Southern Oregon
    I successfully recorded DHW Sunday night in HD (I also had the non-HD recorded just in case). So, I think I agree with others that this appears to be a random occurrence that my provider, Charter, just drops HD at certain times. My Cable Cards have never shown any problems, so I think it is a signal issue from Charter.

14. pvthndl

pvthndl New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Southern Oregon
    Oh, and Chris, tell your wife that last Sunday's show was a repeat.

15. segaily

segaily Member

Aug 2, 2003
    NH
    Did you ever check the cable card screen. When I had a problem with getting shows somtimes on a channel and not at others it turned out one of my 2 cable cards had been messed up by the cable company

16. Audiodynamics

Audiodynamics New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    It happened to me Monday night while recording 24.

C'mon Now! If it happened during any other show, I wouldn't be so mad.

I'm glad I never deleted my 24 Season Pass from my Pioneer Elite DVR-57H Series 2. I still caught the episode, but not in HD. Perhaps I should duplicate all of my Season Passes on the Series 2 as a backup?

I've had my S3 for 2 - 2.5 months. In that time, the 0.00 length recording issue has only occurred perhaps 2 or 3 times.

The following scenario may have created the problem?

During the time when 24 should have been recording, I was uploading new firmware into my surround processor. Prior to the firmware upload, I had to unplug all HDMI cables from the surround processor, including the HDMI cable from the S3. Also, the HDMI cables had been unplugged well before 24 should have been recorded, so it's not as if I unplugged it at 9pm on the dot.

The S3 was in Standby at the time. Therefore, all video circuits were powered down.

With my JVC 5U D-VHS deck, whenever I switch on the HDMI output while recording a show over firewire, I get a hiccup in the recording at that point. Turning on the HDMI output just freezes the 5U for several seconds and I lose that portion of the recording.

This is a wild shot in the dark, but perhaps an HDMI glitch is what's causing the S3's 0.00 length recording issue?

17. matthewc

matthewc New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Gator Country
    I get this sometimes and I use component. Good thing I have the Series 2 as backup.

18. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I now have 4 suggestions recorded off of multiple OTA digital stations and every one is a 0:00 "Partial" recording. If I watch these stations live via Tivo, I notice only rare signal dropouts, but nothing that should consistently cause the recordings to fail.

(I do NOT have an HDTV, fwiw. I am connecting to my standard TV with a component cable--no HDMI involved.)

19. pvthndl

pvthndl New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Southern Oregon
    OK, maybe it's just me because I started this thread, but it seems like this is happening more often than just a random set of circumstances (bad CC, uploads of firmware) could explain. We all seem to have similar situations...previously working S3 that has recorded successfully just creates a 0.00 HD recording randomly.

Hey, TiVO, if you're monitoring this, can we get an explanation from you guys on what may be causing this?

My own guess is that it is a drop in the HD signal from the provider. However, it seems to be happening a lot, and also I would expect to get many other HD recordings of random length as the signal dropped out somewhere during the show. I have never seen that on my S3. So, unless a mid-show signal loss triggers the deletion of the whole recording, I think this theory is weak - but still the best I can figure out.

20. TJBChris

TJBChris New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    My S3 just did this tonight (again). Circumstances: S3 with Sci-Atlanta cable cards. Both tuners recording while we watch a show from the Now Playing List. Recording is "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader" on an analog SD channel, and the one-hour special of "The Office" on NBC HD. 8:25 rolls around and our pre-recorded show ends. I hit Live TV, and am greeted by a blank screen, with the banner telling me it's "recording" The Office. The length is 0:00. Cablecard screens SHOW BOTH CARDS AUTHORIZED, but the TiVo's Diagnostics screen shows the Tuner State as "Not Currently Tuned" (same thing that tends to show when I get partial recordings). Flip to the other tuner; it's functioning properly and happily recording "Are You Smarter..." Flip back to the malfunctioning tuner. Same blank screen. I hit channel up, and immeidately try to re-tune the channel that "The Office" was recording on. The channel is there, tunes, and the signal is fine. Of course, the damage is done now, I've missed 25 minutes of the hour special, and it doesn't look like it's re-airing (according to the guide data).

We have resorted to setting up anything we care about to record on the Series2, as the S3 can't be trusted to complete a recording on any channel, *analog* OR *digital*. This problem happens on analog and digital channels (both CC and non-CC digital). And yes, the analog (lower) channels here ARE really analog... (Tuner Diag screens confirm that) :)

I really wish I'd left the Lifetime sub with the S2...Oh well; hindsight is 20-20. :rolleyes:

-Chris