HD Reboots

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ciscokid, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD upgraded to a 1 TB WD drive that's just about a year old. The HD itself is just a couple of months older than the drive. All has been working relativley well until tonight, that is. An old problem has suddenly reappeared. I was playing a recorded program, when the Tivo spontaneously rebooted.

I we back to the same program and at exactly the same spot it rebooted again. The third time I played back the recorded program I was able to fast forward past the "bad" spot and finished watching the program.

The last time this happened I returned the drive to the vendor (a weel respect ebay seller) who told me that he could either fix it, or get me a new drive. I opted for the new drive. Since that would take a couple of weeks to accomplis. I bought another drive from another well-respected ebay seller and popped it in and all was fine, till tonight that is.

Is this drive also going bad and do I need to do a return, or can I do one (or more) of the kick start programs and "fix" it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I wouldn't do much until it acts up on more than one recording but you could run KS54 just to see what it turns up.

Even with a drive only one year old, drive failure is still the most likely failure on a TiVo. If you don't already have a backup image of the TiVo OS, I would advise getting one with WinMFS soon. If you already have one from a smaller drive (which you used when you previously upgraded) that one is probably preferable to the one you would back up from the current drive, since the WinMFS and JMFS methods both seem to require the target drive to be at least as large or larger than the backup image, and two 1TB drives won't always be exactly the same size.

How important is saving your current recordings?

3. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    What is the preferred method of running KS54 and what will it accomplish?

I DO have the original drive AND another replacement drive that has already been set up for my Tivo.

I would like to keep the recordings that are on the drive. There is about 40 or 50 hours of stuff that I have yet to watch

Thanks for the help!

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How did you do your drive expansion? Did you use WinMFS or Instant Cake or buy a pre-imaged drive? If you didn't use WinMFS before and want to save money on your next drive replacement, I would recommend getting a WinMFS backup from your original drive, although this can be done later.

If you buy a pre-imaged drive or use Instant Cake for your next replacement, you will have to have your CableCARD(s) re-paired, which usually requires a truck roll.

Here are two versions of the kickstart instructions:
    http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5643823#post5643823
    For kickstart 54 do the most extended (longest) test and be aware that some drive problems still are not caught by the kickstart tests.

As for saving your current recordings you can TTG transfer them to your PC which will take a LONG time and assumes they are not copy protected, or WinMFS can transfer them if you have both old and new drive connected to your PC. However there are some conditions on using WinMFS that I'm not familiar with, one of which is the new drive must be larger than the old drive by at least a few bytes. There is another program JMFS that operates differently but I think it has the same requirement on drive size. You need to do some research on this starting in the Drive Expansion FAQ sticky thread at the top of the Series 3 forum here. Once you define exactly what you want to do, just post your situation there.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

Go ahead and download the free version of TiVo Desktop and start copying your recordings if you want to save them to transfer back to a new replacement drive if that becomes necessary (or you can watch the shows on a computer or another TiVo).

That way if something goes wrong you don't lose them.

I'm pretty well convinced by now that it's not a question of if a TiVo's hard drive is going to develop problems (that are either the drive's fault or the TiVo's fault, but you're hosed eitehr way), but when.

6. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I ran the exteneded test under Kickstart 54 and got a "Fail 7" result.

Now what??

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Looks like you have a failing drive. Check to see if it is still under warranty. Western Digital will replace it, although you may have to hook it up to your computer and run their extended diagnostics to satisfy them it is bad.

Still wondering how much of a DIY person you are, which is one reason I asked in post #4 how you did the 1 TB upgrade you already have? The answer to "What now??" depends on this.

8. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Well I have built computers so I am fairly competent in that area.

The drive was bought pre-configured from one of the reputable sellers on ebay in January of 2010 so I am hoping that I can return it to him.

I was hoping that there was a way of fixing the "bad" sectors but I guess it's a bit more serious than a few bad sectors.

9. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I guess if I want to save the shows I gotta pull them off one at a time using Tivo desktop, them put them back on the new drive, one at a time?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I assume that was DVR_DUDE? Doesn't matter, see if you can get warranty action. One of the KS procedures does some sector fixing but if you are developing bad sectors your drive is on the way out anyway.
    Unless you want to hook the drive up to the SATA port on your PC and use WinFMS to copy them. There are ifs ands and buts about doing this that I am not totally familiar with so you need to research this on the Drive Expansion FAQ sticky thread at the top of the Series 3 forum to see what can be done.

11. ss_sea_ya

ss_sea_ya New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    as suggested above,
    - Use tivo desktop to backup your recordings, then
    - Use WINMFS to backup the TIVO OS,

- then use the free diag tools from Western Digital "EXTENDED TEST" to attempt to detect and recover bad sectors. (I think it just moves data to a different part of the disk and marks that area - "do not use" ;)

If you return the drive, maybe run that (after the WINMFS backup) on your replacement drive before putting it into service.

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually you can select all of them at the same time, and then tell it to start, but of course it will actually copy them one at a time. If you have a Cat5 connection from the TiVo to a router/hub/switch/harmonica and another hunk of Cat5 running to the computer running TiVo Desktop, the transfer times aren't too horrible, considering.

After you get all the shows safely copied, use WinMFS or MFS Live cd to make a truncated backup.

At this point, with safe backups, you could try using dd_rescue off of the MFS Live cd v1.4

Park the TiVo drive in the freezer overnight with a couple of paper towels wrapped around it.

Then use dd-rescue with the reverse option to copy it onto another 1TB drive of the exact same number of LBA blocks/sectors.

The reverse option starts the copy at the end of the drives and gets most of it done before it gets to the boot area where it's most likely to have to slow down and do retries due to disc errors.

13. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Well, I pulled the old drive out and put a pre-configured spare that I had on hand. I DID loose my recordings but there were only a few that I really wanted to see and I can watch them on the web or,,,ahem! obtain them from "Other" sources. This way I can start fresh and clean Like my wife said, "It's only tv."

The seller has said that he will do a warranty return to WD and configure the replacement drive for me.

SO that seemed like he quickest & easiest way out.

I did notice that I can't yet do season passes. I guess that's because the Tivo has only downloaded a very limited amount of guide data.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the help!

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Did the hard drive you put in the Tivo originally come from that unit (same model TSN)?

If not, you may have to do a clear & delete everything to get things working right.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Force connects to TiVo until it says status is "Pending Restart" then reboot the TiVo. Still may take a few hours or day or two to get complete guide data and season pass functionality.

16. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    The drive was a newly prepared drive for the HD Tivo and was NEVER used before. It automatically went into a clear and delete everything.

I went through the whole hour long process.

17. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Thanks! That's what I thought. I will wait till it updates to the latest version and until I get a complete guide!