HD reboots on Setup Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jnk27, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jnk27

jnk27 New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

Okay, I haven't seen a thread on this problem:

Just got a new HD to take advantage of NetFlix :)

Connected directly to Comcast, no cachecard yet. Signed up for service. Guided setup and a couple of reboots later I was on 11.0 :cool:

But the VOD screen says there is a problem, and every time I go to the setup screen, I can just barely read the version number before it reboots :(

The network is ethernet connected through a USB port - I didn't have an ethernet cable that would reach. Could that be causing a reboot :confused:

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I take it you are using a Tivo brand wireless adapter? There is also a network jack in the back.

The reboots could be software/error related, try pulling the plug. Most get cleared up by the plug.

Netflix won't work on the initial startup on v11, it needs another tivo connection to work. After I get a service update, I make another connection to get update of the guide data since its not loaded with the software package connection.

3. jnk27

jnk27 New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Massachusetts
    I am using an ethernet to USB converter since my ether cable literally won't reach.

Tried pulling power with same results. Will call tivo in the morning.

Thanks.

4. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I have read on the TiVo site that you should not use a USB to wired ethernet adapter on the Series 3 TiVos. This includes the Series3, the TivoHD and the TiVoHD XL. While the adapter may work, it may cause some problems. That might be causing the reboots. It's a reach, but try rebooting the TiVo with the adapter disconnected.

I'd invest in a longer ethernet cable if this turns out to be the problem.

Good luck,
    robomeister

5. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD

Advertisements

The text from the TiVo support web site confirms robomeister's statement:

HD TiVo-compatible wireless adapters
    The TiVo Wireless G Adapter is the only wireless network adapter that is supported for use with HD TiVo DVRs.

WARNING: If you try to use a different adapter with one of these DVRs, it may appear to work with some of our networking features. Unfortunately, you are likely to see errors or failures in other areas. For that reason, all other adapters are considered to be unsupported if you are experiencing a problem.

I'd either get the wire there or buy the TiVo adapter. It works quite well. Usually best price is on Amazon.

6. jnk27

jnk27 New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the support folks. I guess I will be unloading that shelf to plug in a longer cable :up::up: