HD Programs freeze and Gray Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Smokey 25, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1 of 11
    Smokey 25

Smokey 25 New Member

Oct 4, 2008

Advertisements

I have serched and serched but cant find the answer to this. I apologize if it has already been posted. I have a standard series 3 with the WD my DVR Hard drive.

While watching TV I get random freezes I think it may just be HD channels but it is so frequent I cant watch TV any more.

Other times all I get is a gray screen. When you go to the tivo menu it shows both cable cards are working like their suposed to be. After a restart everything is normal.

Other times I get the gray screen and the Tivo wont respond at all. I have to unplug the system to restart.

Please help!

2. Oct 8, 2008 #2 of 11
    AdmiralTivo

AdmiralTivo You talkin' to me?

Feb 25, 2005
    bumping for help.

I get something sort of similar. During a recorded episode of "Chuck" (recorded on an HD channel) I would get video freeze (audio still ran fine) about once a minute throughout the entire show...and the freeze sometimes went longer. Occasionally the freeze would turn into a gray screen, but exiting the recording and then resuming usually got rid of the gray screen but not the freeze.

This rendered the show unwatchable. I have had a variety of issues with HD recordings, but this one is different. The others involved pixelized video only.

Anyone else seeing this?

3. Oct 9, 2008 #3 of 11
    lauraf13

lauraf13 New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    A couple of days ago I connected a MyDVR Expander and I'm having some similar problems. I didn't have any problems until I connected the external drive. I don't have cable, so I use an antenna. Right now the Tivo won't tune to a particular digital channel and it's subchannels. The signal strength meter says it's at 100%, but I just get a grey screen. It will tune to other digital channels and analog channels. I'm trying a restart to see if it fixes it. Yesterday I had a green screen (no message) and the Tivo wouldn't respond, so I had to pull the plug.

4. Oct 9, 2008 #4 of 11
    cahoon

cahoon New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    The HD freezing and grey screen is exactly the problem I was seeing a couple weeks back. Tivo customer service thought it was that my signal was too strong or too weak. I tried to attenuate and boost the signal, but nothing worked. Finally, I divorced the WD Expander drive and added a new 1 TB internal drive. Since then, the Tivo has been working great with the internal drive only. I suspect it was the WD Expander drive that was causing the problem. But, I never tried using the original internal drive long enough to confirm this (I only used the Tivo for a short while after divorcing the WD Expander, and I didn't see any freezing issues). Of course, it meant that I lost all my recorded shows when I divorced the drive.

5. Oct 9, 2008 #5 of 11
    Albert

Albert New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    Lantana, TX

Advertisements

I just noticed this problem with an OTA HD channel. I am getting a gray screen and the signal strength is in the 90s. I can pick up other channels and the channel I get a gray screen on can be picked up by a digital converter box I have. What's going on? I lost some recordings because of this. I am not using an external expansion.

UPDATE: I rebooted and it seems to be working now, but this is very disturbing as it could happen again and I could lose my shows.

6. rjcrum

rjcrum Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Count me in with a "gray screen of death" problem. About once per week, when I power on my system and select the TiVo HD (with WD expander) input, all I see is a gray screen. The TiVo is dead--will not respond to the remote. When I unplug the TiVo and reboot, it's working just fine.

So far, it's mostly annoying...but it worries me.

Bob

7. lauraf13

lauraf13 New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    A reboot solved my problem, but it makes the Tivo unreliable. I've had a Series 2 for years and it's worked flawlessly and my TivoHD worked flawlessly until I connected the MyDVR.

What about upgrading the eSata cable? Anybody know where to buy a high quality cable that will work with the Tivo and MyDVR?

8. Albert

Albert New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    Lantana, TX
    This just happened to me again! No recordings on this one channel that is all gray again. Signal strength is fine. What is going on? Why all of a sudden did this start happening? Were there any recent updates that might be causing this? And this is happening on my favorite channel... so maybe it has something to do with recording off the channel?

I'm not using any external drives but I did upgrade my internal to 1 TB.

9. lauraf13

lauraf13 New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    I'm not sure about the update, but it happened again to me and I started going through the settings. I changed from outputting at 1080 to 720 and when I went back to the channel it was fine (no reboot). I don't know if it was just changing the setting or lower the resolution that helped, but I'm going to run at 720 for a while to see if that helps.

If it happens again, try changing the video output resolution and see if you can get it to come back with out a reboot.

UPDATE: I have been running using 720 output for a while now and I have not had any more problems. No gray screens and no reboots. When I get brave I'll try going back to 1080 and see if I have trouble.

10. Albert

Albert New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    Lantana, TX
    I haven't had this problem in awhile either but I didn't change anything. I wonder if there was a TiVo update?

11. lauraf13

lauraf13 New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    I hope it was an update the caused the problem and then fixed it. Maybe I'll be a little braver and go back to 1080. Does Tivo have release notes for the updates?