HD Package Pricing to remain the same.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by xtc, Sep 11, 2007.

1. xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005

Advertisements

I was on the phone today with Retention, getting an upgrade to an HR20, and I asked since all the new HD channels are coming out, will the HD package pricing change? He said that He actually got out of a meeting this morning where this was discussed, and DirecTV agreed that the Prices will remain the same despite the additional channels rolling out. Again, there is nothing in writing but this is according to the Retention guy...

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    yeah they just raised prices

3. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    I know it seem like just yesterday but that was in March, 6 months ago. I'm sure they will have another raise next March. In the meantime there are rumors of a new HD fee for new subscribers coming soon after the HD launch.

4. xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    yeah they said there will be no immediate price increases after the new HD rollout, but Spring time (March/April) is when they usually roll out new pricing/packaging...

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

Basically the new structure for the HD is like this:

There will be TWO: HD Items now...

-) HD Access Fee
    -) HD Extra Package

The HD Access Fee is to be $9.99 (or the same as today's HD package cost)
    The HD Extra Package is going to be $4.99

How it is going to work is like this:

You have your base packages (the same ones we have today).
    That give you access to a "channel"... and that is the SD ones.
    Those packages will control what "channel" you can receive, and which ones you can't.

The HD-Access fee, will then allow you to access the HD version of those channels that correspond to your base package.

The HD-Extra Pack, will contain about 6 channels right now (I think it is 6, I'll have to double check). These are channels that don't have an SD counter part, or that are not assigned to one of the other packages... Such as HD-Net, HD-Movies, Smith, and a few others.

These will be a $4.99 "package" add-on, just like HBO is an add-on package... it will work the same way.

From what I have seen... you will have to have BOTH the HD-Access and the HD Extra Package, if you want the HD-Extra Package.

--------------

Now with all that said....
    There will be a grandfather clause. Those that already have the HD Package, will be grandfathered, and will get the HD-Extra Pack basically for free.

6. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    Is that what they call a 'bait and switch'? Announcing just a few weeks ago that there would be no increase in cost, but now all of a sudden announcing that it's going to at least $9.98 more. :mad:

7. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    How is it going to cost $9.98 more?

The $9.99 is the same cost for the current HD Package...

The $4.99 is for the extended HD Pack, if you would like to have those 6 channels.

And anyone that already has the package... will be grandfathered in...

So where is it costing $9.98 more?

8. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

My bad. I thought you were saying there were two extensions each costing $4.99. So what you're saying is that DirecTV will still charge more, it will be $4.99 to start with for 6 channels. Let's see, now they charge $9.99 for what - 10 channels - of course I'm guessing they'll add a few more. But $4.99 for 6 extra channels? How many more times will they be adding another $4.99 - as many as they can get away with.

And what really bothers me is that they just talked about this a couple of weeks ago. Why weren't they honest enough then to discuss the upcoming tier prices?

9. beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I already get HD-Net, along with the several other non-premium (premium meaning HBO, Showtime) HD channels the are currently available. So once the new sat goes active, I'll have to pay an additional $4.99 if I want to continue getting HD-Net? If so, that's BS.

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    If you already have the HD package, you're grandfathered in with those channels.

11. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I assume since I have the HR10-250 I won't be gaining any new HD channels?

12. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Don't think so... but will we be losing HD channels?

13. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Yes

14. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Much Sooner then Later.... yes... All of them are going to be converted to MPEG-4 and moved to the 99/103 SATs

15. generalpatton71

generalpatton71 Open,Flash and clear

Oct 30, 2002
    Classified
    Earl I think your "Mother" for "The Company". :p

16. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    I wonder what will happen to those of us with HR10-250's that can't or don't want to upgrade? When we can't get HD anymore, they will have to drop the HD access fee. I thought they would at least keep the current MPEG2 HD channels and use MPEG4 for everything new, like what DishNet did. I don't think I have a suitable location for the bigger dish and have 8 HR10-250's in my home theater. My understanding is that there is a maximum of 2 HR20's in the same room because of IR control.

17. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Did you intend "your" to be the contraction for you are?

If so, the correct spelling is you're and should actually be "you're a".

English lesson complete. Now back to our normal DTV bashing.

;)

18. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    - The only thing that will happen to your HR10's, is that you won't have SAT based HD anylonger. You will still receive OTA HD.

- They have stated numerous times that they are changing out the non-mpeg4 equipment, with mpeg4.

- Yes, via IR control... you are limited two in a room. But the HR20's have native support for RF and usually come with an RF remote, and you can have up to: 531,441 within a 200ft radius via RF.. (The RF mechanism uses the last 6 digits of the RID as an identifier)

Another alternative, is to use a control system such as a Creston (SP?)... since the HR20's can be controlled via their USB ports using RS-232 support. If you must have more then 2 and must use IR control.

19. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    I have not received any direct communication about my HR10-250's losing HD channels. Have others? I am aware of speculation from reading the forums. If it's going to happen "soon", it seems to me that they need to give adequate notice.

20. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...
    I've got 3 DTivos hooked to my Home Theater receiver in the living room. Tell me again how well thought out this box is. :confused: This seems to be a giant step backwards. :thumbsdown: