HD OTA and TiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gimmezell, Sep 17, 2007.

1. gimmezell

gimmezell New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Sorry in advance if this has been answered before, but I'm somewhat confused.

I recently upgraded to an HDTV and am enjoying OTA HD content via a switch box. I currently have a Phillips DSR 708 TiVo box only and NEED to keep my Tivo.

Can you please tell me what box I would need if I want to be able to record OTA HD content as well as record SD content? I'm not even sure if it's possible to record OTA content.

Thank you,

Jeremy

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    If you want TiVo then the only option is the HR10-250. The HR10-250 is no longer being produced.

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Or get a Series3 for OTA and keep the DirecTiVo for satellite.

4. gimmezell

gimmezell New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    I've seen them on Ebay. Can I replace my current box with the HR10-250 or do I need to keep my current box too? I prefer to have one set-top box.

5. ccooperev

ccooperev TIVOSMITTEN

Apr 24, 2001
    Chicago, IL USA
    Here's the deal, I live in a high-rise condo that has its own cable system - DirectTV feeds into an analog cable system via some conversion process. It even has its very own System Listing that TIVO picks up on. There is talk at some point of upgrading to some digital signal from same satellites. I can also most likely get most of the over the air signals as I'm in direct line of sight of Downtown Chicago TV towers (Hancock bldg and Sears Tower) So, is TIVOHD for me in this situation?

6. gimmezell

gimmezell New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    How does the above post help me? :D

7. MurrayW

MurrayW Murray

Aug 28, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the HR10-250 can do everything your Phillips box can and more. It will receive and record all the SD channels that your Phillips can, it can record the current DirecTV mpeg2 HD channels and any OTA channels you can pick up with an antenna. Plus unless you have upgraded your Phillips DirecTiVo, you will increase your hard disk storage capacity by 6X.

8. gimmezell

gimmezell New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Thanks for the clarification on the HR10-250. Is there any drawback to the HR10-250? I've heard the mention of DirecTV going to mpeg4. When that happens both my the HR10-250 box and my current Phillips box will no longer function with the mpeg4 correct?

Anything I should look for when I'm looking on Ebay for one? Can I just reuse my current card?

9. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  10. ccooperev

ccooperev TIVOSMITTEN

Apr 24, 2001
    Chicago, IL USA
    Well, sorry, I crapped in your thread. :rolleyes:

Figured it was similar enough question...

11. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    My HR10-250 still works as advertised three years in.

12. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    MPEG4 is the only drawback. When the HD satellite channels stop broadcasting in MPEG2, then your HR10-250 will no longer receive them. It will still tune in standard def programming via satellite (it is staying MPEG2) and OTA digital channels. The MPEG4 changeover has no impact on your Philips box.

Make sure there is no outstanding balance on the receiver. You need the receiver ID or something and you call D* to check it. Reusing your card is a crap shoot. It depends on the card type and the CSR that you get. And by reusing your card, you will be taking your Philips box out of service. I've already found upcoming instances in the new TV season where all 4 tuners on my two DirecTivos will be in use recording network shows. Since only one of my DirecTivos is HD, I'll be recording the SD version of some shows on my GXCEBOT. And then you throw in weekday football on ESPN and I'm coming up short on available tuners.

-Robert

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, a TiVoHD would work for you.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    And make sure it is not leased, but owned by the seller.