HD OTA and HR10-250 Setup HELP!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SuperWade2, Dec 23, 2006.

1. SuperWade2

SuperWade2 New Member

Apr 11, 2003

Advertisements

I moved into a new place and had my D*TV moved with the Movers connection Package, at my old place, I had the 3 LNB Dish with "Saucer" HD OTA (provided by D*TV) hooked to my HR10-250 and a single line going into a H10 in my Bedroom...

At the new place, they have a 5 LNB dish but they didn't install the OTA antenna... after an hour on the phone with D*TV, I got another appointment to have someone come back and hook up my OTA. Today, so far, I had my local DirecTV Installer out here for over two hours and we are unable to even get the HR10-250 to detect there is any OTA Signal at all, and we are getting "No Digital Signal" when we test the OTA Signal Stregth... I did the Guided Setup again and told the HR10-250 that I now have a Dish and OTA Combo again...

We are a little futher up the road from where we were before, and I would expect at least SOME type of signal reported one of the 68 Frequencies...even if the strength were lower.

Behind my TV, we have tried both the OTA Line and One of the Dish Lines into a Winegard DS-8000 Powered Off-Air/Sat Combiner, then a small run from the "Out" on that into a Eagle Aspen D-2100LX Diplexer and the Sat/TV Outputs going into their respective positions on the HR10-250... The Winegard WAS hooked up outside, closer to the dish at my old house, but I didn't pull the OTA down myself, so I can't be 100% sure, although I know it was outside.

Which I believe is more or less like it was hooked up at my old place.

We also tried direct from the OTA Dish on the roof into the Antenna In on the HR10-250 and that also didn't do anything (I don't think it was gettig any power)...

The Installer says he has to leave, and I really don't think he know's what's going on.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can try to get this dumb thing to at least see there is an OTA dish, even if the signal strength.

Thanks in Advance!

SW2

2. TomF

TomF TiVo: 1999; HD: 2001

Apr 13, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    It's been discussed both here and at dbstalk.com that you can't diplex an OTA signal with the output from the 5 LNB dish, so this may be your problem. I would run a line directly from your OTA antenna to your HR10 to eliminate any other variables in the chain. If that works, then that's your solution.

3. SuperWade2

SuperWade2 New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Does the OTA Need Power somehow (maybe from the Combiner that was hooked up before?)

Wade

4. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    If I'm reading the original post correctly, you had a 3lnb dish and DirecTV HD antenna hooked to it.
    You moved and DirecTv installed a new 5lnb dish at the new house, but no HD antenna hooked to it.

If you don't have an antenna anymore, where are you getting this OTA signal from? thin air?

You need an antenna to feed the antenna input on the back of the HR10-250.

What is this OTA Dish you speak of? OTA and Dish are two seperate things.

phox

5. TomF

TomF TiVo: 1999; HD: 2001

Apr 13, 2001
    San Diego, CA

Advertisements

A line from an OTA antenna does not need any power. Think of the rabbit ears from years ago. Same thing. Sometimes you may need an amplifier to boost the signal, but that does not means it's "powered".

If you were using a combiner, you were diplexing the signal. This will not work with the 5 LNB dish. Forget the combiner, just run a lead straight from the antenna to the HR10. If you can get a signal, fine. If not, you may need to add an amplifier or get a bigger antenna. You just cannot run it through the combiner along with an output from the 5 LNB dish. It will need it's own separate cable.

6. SuperWade2

SuperWade2 New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Your right, I have NO OTA right now... That's why I'm trying to re-hook up my OTA Antenna that I brought from my old house and being unsuccessful... I'm sorry if I didn't articulate it correctly...

Old House - 3 LNB Dish with HD OTA (Flat Round Saucer Type provided by D*TV about 1.5 years ago) with Combiner/Diplexer

New House - 5 LNB Dish trying to connect the SAME OTA Antenna from OLD House and not having any luck.

I've not tried going direct from the OTA Antenna into my TV and also HR10-250 and it doesn't find anything on either, that's why I was am thinking that it was getting power from the Combiner/Diplexer to power the HD OTA Antenna.

Wade

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    As stated, diplexing the antenna with a 5 LNB dish won't work. Well it can, but you have to do some funny things. Also, by diplexing you decrease your OTA signal strength. So a direct line is the best way to go.

8. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    That antenna could very well be a powered antenna, built in pre-amp.
    Toss it, many reports of those antennas being junk.

Check antennaweb.org to see what antenna they recommend, take that with a grain of salt, then check avsforum.com to wee what others in your area are having good luck with.
    There is no such thing as an HD Antenna, don't get suckered into the marketing.
    A TV antenna is a TV antenna, VHF or UHF or both, nothing fancy about that.

Then run coax directly from that antenna into the back of the HR10 (or splitter if you have other HD tuners you want to feed with the antenna)

IMHO, diplexing is bad, a lazy way to do things, just run the coax, everyone involved with be happier.

phox