HD/Off Air/HR10-250 Connections

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by robberde, Jan 17, 2006.

1. robberde

robberde New Member

Jan 17, 2006

Advertisements

OK, I have the HR10-250 w/ a 3LNB dish. I bought an OTA antenna and have it set up correctly when it is connected directly to the HR10-250, but I was told when purchasing the antenna, that I could connect it directly to the multi switch and then use a diplexer at the box. Two problems, one is when I connect it the way I was told, the box did not pick up the signal and two, I have a four input multi switch and they are all being used up by the directv/tivo lines from the dish. I would hate to buy a new multi switch if connecting the OTA antenna through it doesn't work anyway. Any ideas, suggestions or places I can go to get more info? Thanks.

2. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    These two problems, as you might imagine :), are related. What the dealer told you is true of a five-input multiswitch, where the fifth input is for OTA, and which contains a built-in diplexer to diplex the OTA onto the output lines. With your 4xn multiswitch you could use a single diplexer to diplex the OTA onto one of the output lines of your multiswitch, or a combination of diplexers and splitters to diplex the OTA onto all of the output lines. Or, you could replace your 4xn multiswitch with a 5xn multiswitch instead.

3. robberde

robberde New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    thanks..I went ahead and used the diplexer on the output to my HR10-250. BUt I lost ABC which here in Dallas is on a low frequency (9). Could that be due to the two diplexers and that there is a lot of wiring connecting all the parts? Because the satellite has not moved and I received the channel clearly when the antenna was connected directly to the box

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You have discovered the problem with diplexing. Any time you use a diplexer you lose a little bit of the signal. Your ABC signal was probably somewhat marginal and the diplexer lowered it enough so that the HDTiVo can no longer lock on. You need to add an amplifier to the OTA. But, then you may lose other channels as the HDTiVo can be overloaded with too much signal. So get an amp that can be varied.