HD March Madness

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JoeTivo25, Mar 10, 2005.

1. JoeTivo25

JoeTivo25 Member

Sep 1, 2004

Advertisements

DIRECTV's Exclusive MEGA MARCH MADNESS Package to Broadcast 30 Games in High-Definition Format
    Wednesday March 9, 5:38 pm ET
    Exclusive Package Supplements CBS Sports' Coverage of 2005 NCAA(R) Division I Men's Basketball Championship

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 9, 2005-- Further expanding the availability of high-definition (HD) sports programming nationwide, DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading provider of digital multichannel television, announced today that it will carry CBS Sports' HD coverage of 30 of the 56 games in the first three rounds of the 2005 NCAA® Division I Men's Basketball Championship via its exclusive MEGA MARCH MADNESS® package.
    The exclusive package, which is not available on any other pay TV service, offers residential customers up to 37 live out-of-market games from the first three rounds of the Tournament for $59, supplementing CBS Sports' network coverage of the 2005 NCAA® Division I Men's Basketball Championship. The 64-team NCAA Tournament tips off on Thursday, March 17.

With MEGA MARCH MADNESS, college basketball fans have the capability to see virtually every game from the Tournament, including the key early-round upsets and "Cinderella" stories - teams that emerge from near-obscurity - each year capturing the attention and hearts of sports fans around the country. This is the seventh year that DIRECTV will offer NCAA MEGA MARCH MADNESS exclusively.

"Few sporting events equal the drama, excitement and anticipation of the NCAA Tournament, and for those fans who want to see every game in the first three rounds, DIRECTV once again will be the premier viewing destination," said Neal Tiles, executive vice president, Marketing, DIRECTV. "Our commitment to deliver more HD programming to our customers is reflected in the fact that we and CBS are offering more than three times as many games in HD this year over last year's MEGA MARCH MADNESS package. With more live sports events than any cable or satellite provider, DIRECTV once again proves to be the best TV experience, especially for sports fans."

To access DIRECTV HD programming, customers may purchase a DIRECTV-enabled high-definition set-top receiver and a single 18 x 20-inch multi-satellite dish with three LNBs. DIRECTV-enabled HD receivers and triple-LNB satellite dishes are available from authorized DIRECTV retailers, such as Circuit City and Best Buy, nationwide.

DIRECTV is the nation's leading and fastest-growing digital multichannel television service provider with more than 13.9 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of The DIRECTV Group Inc. (NYSE:DTV - News). The DIRECTV Group is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment and broadband satellite networks and services. The DIRECTV Group is 34 percent owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is approximately 82 percent owned by News Corporation. For more information visit www.directv.com.

2. gq91355

gq91355 New Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Valencia, CA
    Since this DirecTV package is supposed to "supplement" CBS' regular coverage, does that mean the first 2 full days of March Madness (March 17,18) on our local CBS station will also be in HD?

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Hmm...

Does this mean DTV will block the CBS-E/W-HD feeds during game time?
    If so, I might have to pluck down the $60, as I can't get a CBS-OTA signal that well.

Last year, a great trick was.... CBS Analog was playing one game, and CBS-Digital OTA was playing a different HD game...

Is there a listing of which games will be in HD? (Region/Timeslot?)

4. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    My guess is they won't decide which games until they have the brackets set.

5. jor-el

jor-el New Member

May 24, 2002

Advertisements

More likely the decision is based on locations, and should already be set. But that doesn't mean anything to us until the brackets are released.

I liked it better when the regions actually mean something. Regionalization proved to be an odd way to make it home games for some teams.

6. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Couldn't care less. I wouldn't watch these games is 3-D, let alone HD.

7. Iwanthd

Iwanthd New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Castle Rock, CO
    Then why read and post in the thread?

8. SoonerDoc

SoonerDoc New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Okla City

nice threadcrap..... :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: ...if you aren't interested in the subject then simply don't click on it....believe me when i tell you nobody cares that you aren't interested in these games....

9. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well aren't you just a vibrant ray of sunshine today. Why so angry?

10. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR
    As*hole!

11. bigpuma

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I still think CBS will wait to see which teams are playing in which regions before deciding where to send their HD equipment.

12. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Good question. I had no idea what March madness meant, I thought there was something on sale. That's why I read it. Why did I post? No particular reason.
    Now, why did I even come back here? Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Syracuse just beat WVU in the Big East Championship game on ESPN-HD. Looked good, although I didn't watch a lot of it.

If I hadn't known what March Madness was, I'd assume it was the way people get after a long winter here in the NE. :D

14. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR

yeah, I've never heard of it either. Please man, how could you not hear of it?

15. psyclonejack

psyclonejack New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    LA, CA
    Here is the HD and non-HD schedule:

NCAA First Round HD/SD Viewing Guide
    Thursday March 17, 2005

12:15 PM Wisconsin-Milwaukee #12 vs. Alabama #5 HD
    12:45 PM Niagara #14 vs. Oklahoma #3 HD
    2:55 PM Penn #13 vs. Boston College #4 HD
    3:15 PM Texas-El Paso #11 vs. Utah #6 HD
    7:10 PM Chattanooga #15 vs. Wake Forest #2 HD
    7:25 PM Winthrop #14 vs. Gonzaga #3 HD
    9:40 PM Creighton #10 vs. West Virginia #7 HD
    9:55 PM UCLA #11 vs. Texas Tech #6 HD

12:20 PM Eastern Kentucky #15 vs. Kentucky #2
    12:40 PM Pittsburgh #9 vs. Pacific #8
    2:50 PM Iowa #10 vs. Cincinnati #7
    3:10 PM Montana #16 vs. Washington #1
    7:10 PM Nevada #9 vs. Texas #8
    7:20 PM Utah St. #14 vs. Arizona #3
    9:40 PM Fairleigh-Dickinson #16 Illinois #1
    9:50 PM UAB #11 LSU #6

Friday March 18, 2005

12:15 PM North Carolina State #10 vs. Charlotte #7 HD
    12:25 PM Ohio #13 vs. Florida #4 HD
    2:45 PM University of Central Florida #15 vs. Connecticut #2 HD
    2:55 PM New Mexico #12 vs. Villanova #5 HD
    7:10 PM Louisiana-Lafayette #13 vs. Louisville #4 HD
    7:10 PM Vermont #13 vs. Syracuse #4 HD
    9:40 PM Old Dominion #12 vs. Michigan State #5 HD
    9:40 PM George Washington #12 vs. Georgia Tech #5 HD

12:30 PM Iowa St. #9 vs. Minnesota #8
    12:30 PM SE Louisiana #15 vs. Oklahoma St. #2
    3:00 PM St. Mary's (Ca.) #10 vs. Southern Ill. #7
    3:00 PM Alabama A&M/Oakland #16 vs. North Carolina #1
    7:20 PM Northern Iowa #11 vs. Wisconsin #6
    7:25 PM Delaware St. #16 vs. Duke #1
    9:50 PM Bucknell #14 vs. Kansas #3
    9:55 PM Mississippi St. #9 vs. Stanford #8

16. lutton

lutton New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Thanks, that's a great help in planning my viewing 'experience!'

Could you pass onwhere you found this, so I can dig it up again as the tourney moves on?

Thanks!

17. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Can you only buy the whole pack or can you purchase an individual game?

18. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I wonder if the other networks will be putting up repeats so as not to compete against "March Madness"? I like a game or two but new network shows would be nice.

19. bigpuma

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I am sure they will unless NBC wants to burn off the last few episodes of Joey. :p

20. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    BTW, the top and bottom banners are very annoying. :(