HD Locals in Mpeg2 (Indy)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Buckley, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Buckley

Buckley New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    A fellow Tivo 10-250 owner had a hard drive enter a startup loop that froze the machine. He subsequently called DirecTV and was sent to a Special Apps Tech support (not the official name). The tech CSR was familiar with the problem and assessed it as being an older 10-250 model that wouldn't properly recieve a software update. She put a new one in the mail to him.

Now, the point... she also mentioned to him that he was lucky because the Indianapolis area would be receiving the HD locals in June from one of the Mpeg2 satellites rather than one of the Mpeg-4 satellites. Thus, enabling the HD10-250 to receive the HD locals. The CSR sounded very well versed in the goings-on rather than being clueless.

Has anyone else heard something similar?

Thanks

- Pacer

2. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    I doubt this is true. There is a long history of people posting what's been said by a CSR that has absolutely no bearing on truth. In fact, there is a post by TiVoOpsMgr that decries what was said by a CSR concerning the release of the Series 3 TiVo.

I would take it with a grain of salt and fully expect the HD locals in Indy to be MPEG-4, like all the other locals except the LA and NY feeds.

The game of CSR roulette is well known here and as far as accuracy is concerned, they are probably batting around 0.01.

3. Buckley

Buckley New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. That's basically how I've taken it... I know that CSR's are all over the board.

However, in that this CSR seemed to be a couple of levels up the CSR tree, was right about everything else she said, that she specifically said that while most all HD locals were going to be on an Mpeg 4 sat, Indy was an exception for some reason, and that my friend then pressed her on the issue because it was against everything else we've heard, this seemed to ring with a bit of credibility...

So, I'll continue to hope, but not hold my breath.

- Buck

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    There's no logical reason for Indy "to be an exception" and get their HD Local channels from the current MPEG2 satellites. In fact, there's really no way that DirecTV has the spare bandwidth to provide 4 additional HDTV channels just for the Indianapolis market.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The only logical "exception" would be if they are having a spotbeam problem there. If so, M2 is temporary if at all.

CSR's are human, and are a lot less stressed if they can keep telling themselves they actually know what they are talking about. It's easier to feel like you know what you're doing than it is to feel like you don't know, whether you really do or not. All the "incorrect" responses are in the past, and are just numbers on a quota sheet, not real customers with real questions.

It would not surprise me that top-level tech support is clueless. If they actually had anything going on, they wouldn't be still doing tech support for peanuts. This would also explain why so many lower level techs are clueless...if the higher levels aren't in the know, how could they be, and why should they be?