HD Locals - Do I need to subscribe to the HD package?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by hinote, Jan 17, 2006.

1. hinote

hinote New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Haskell, NJ
    I know that you don't need the HD package to get HBOHD is you subscribe to HBO. My question is do I need the HD package to get my locals in HD? I line the NYC area and get my SD locals as part of my Total Choice package.

TIA

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Nope... HD Locals are not part of the HD Pack. You just need to subscribe to "Locals" on your account. And if you have the hardware and the availability... you get them.

3. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR
    of course if you hook an antenna up to it you'll get your local HD channels for free.

4. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    A lot of assumptions in your statemenet.

That-

1) He can put up a large enough antenna to get locals.

2) That he wants a large antenna.

3) That he is close enought to get a good signal.

5. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    My reason is to have SD locals on other TV's

6. IndyTom

IndyTom New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Zionsville, IN

Agreed. In our case, we get ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS, really well (but not perfect). The other networks - Fox, WB, UPN, misc. high # channels, etc., do not come in so well (in HD). My wife found this out early on when setting up a season pass for some of her favorite daily shows, only to find them freezing up on occassion, etc. For us, it's worth paying the extra $ each month for the SD locals not only to mitigate these issues, but to also provide locals for the other Non-HD devices in our home.

7. hinote

hinote New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Haskell, NJ
    Thanks for all the replies. Good info.

You're correct in assuming that I subscribe to locals to have SD locals on my other Tivos. Got 4 of em. 3 running and 1 sitting on the shelf just in case. Only 1 HDTivo.

8. DuffMan

DuffMan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Just so I'm clear on this:

Even with the HD receiver, Directv does NOT offer locals in HD. The only way to get them is with an OTA antenna.

True statement?

9. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Correct...partially. DirecTV DOES offer locals in HD in the following markets:
    New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston (Manchester), San Francisco-Oak-San Jose, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Washington, DC (Hagrstwn), Atlanta, Houston, Detroit, & Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota). More markets coming March/April '06 and beyond. An MPEG4 HD receiver (H20 or HR20) and a 5LNB (AT9) dish are required to pick up these HD locals. These channels do NOT and will NOT work on HR10-250 DirecTV/HD TiVo's.

10. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    With this particular HD reciever

The HR10-250... You can NOT access the new Local-In-Local HD streams.

NY/LA are "grey areas", since their locals double as the National feeds.

You can Access those "national feeds" which are the big 4 networks, so you can pretty much get the same primetime programming as your "local"... but their is a waiver process.

the forthcomming HR20 (not TiVo Based) will be able to access the MPEG-4 Local-In-Local feeds.

11. Robert Spalding

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR

WHo says he needs a large antenna? I use a small indoor and get all my channels.

But thanks for blasting me in a public forum

12. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Name calling is against forum rules. Pull it back.

Adam was simply showing the short comings in your statement: "why bother paying for SD locals?".

13. DuffMan

DuffMan New Member

Jun 30, 2003

Ok thanks. I read the FAQ, which says:

"In order to receive digital local broadcasts in your home, you will need an antenna."

I had heard that some markets had HD local through Directv and just wanted to make sure. I'm in the Seattle area so it sounds like no Directv HD locals here yet.

So to make this *really* simple for a slow dude like me:

If I don't want to install an antenna, and I don't want to pay the extra $11 a month for the 4 or 5 HD-specific channels, then the only thing I get out of Directv HD is some HBO (because I already have the HBO package) in HD?

That doesn't seem very compelling to me - am I missing something? I'm not trying to be sold here or be a pain in the ass but I just love HD picture quality and want to make sure I know exactly what I do and do not get if I plunk down $400 for the Directv HD/Tivo.

Thanks guys!

14. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Close...

You can "APPLY" to get the Feeds from LA (which are not the Seatle Locals, they are the LA locals)... there is no guarantee that you will get them though.

But if you can, then you will get the corresponding ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX programmig which is pretty much consistant with your TRUE locals during the primetime and most of the weekend.

15. DuffMan

DuffMan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Cool - can you point me to where I can find out more about this "application" process? Is it something you do through DTV?

16. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you do it through DTV - just call and ask. The process is that they send a request for a waiver to each of your local network affiliates. Each can approve or deny at their own whim. Some locals deny everyone, period. There's no guarantee that you'll get all four networks (I got two out of four.)

17. Robert Spalding

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I meant to say "why bother paying for HD locals" especially if you hook up an antenna.

18. DuffMan

DuffMan New Member

Jun 30, 2003

Thanks Steve. As bad as I want HD, it still sounds like more pain than gain for now.

Thanks again all.

19. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's easy to apply for the waivers. Takes less than five minutes on the phone with DTV. Then you wait for a response. Can't hurt to ask.

20. DuffMan

DuffMan New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Ok, I'll check it out. Is there a particular phone menu path you traverse, or do you just zero out and talk to whoever?