HD lives, is my drive safe to image to add new HD to S2DT?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bgc, Apr 8, 2011.

1. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I was sure my HD was dead after running the Kickstarts several times and doing many power on/off cycles, but at the last minute it 'fixed' itself.

I did Kickstart 57 a few times, then did 54 and got "identify fail" message. I then did 52 a couple of times and 58 after that. I was almost ready to give up but did 52 again and after the service update message was there for a while it went to the green screen like you get with 57, which it hadn't done before. It stayed on the green screen for quite a while and I just happened to look up to see the record light on so I switched the TV input and there it was back up and running recording one of the wishlist items.

So, with it back up and running can I use the free tools to get the image for a HD upgrade? If the Kickstart 52 reinstall means I have one 'good' partition and one 'bad', do the free tools enable you to get the image from the good one or do I still need to look into getting a used one off Ebay to get the image?

I say Ebay because I can probably get a used one cheaper than Instantcake with the benefit of some spare parts as well.

Thanks,
    BGC

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Hopefullt the kickstart made the drive good enough to copy. That is what I would try first. Definitely sounds like the drive is on its last leg so I would do it asap.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you running the original 80 or 160GB drive in that DT?

Do you have a TCD649080 or a TCD649180?

If your TiVo is working now, then it's pointed to the right partition from which to boot.

MFS Live or WinMFS will be able to tell which, and that's the one it'll use.

While that TiVo is working, use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy any shows you want to save to computer. Then you'll be able to copy them back to any TiVo on your account.

4. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I've got the TCD649080, the drive is the original drive.

I've already saved what I wanted to my PC with Tivo Desktop.

Do the MFS tools make 2 copies of the OS on a new drive? If it doesn't I'm curious what would happen if the emergency reinstall kickstart were to be run and there had not been a Tivo Service Update pushed to the unit since the new drive was installed?

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Unfortunately my ignorance often overwhelms what documentation there is for the various versions of the Tivo and MFS wrangling software, although since it's free I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it many times over.

I'm pretty sure that if you do the backup with the -s option it only backs up the active boot partitions.

If you restore with the -z options it's supposed to "zero out" unused partitions. I'm guessing that means it will create the 3 active booting partitions, root, boot, and kernel, and will create their inactive twins as partitions, or as partition map entries, but will mark them as empty or fill them with zeros or something. I suppose, once you've done a restore, you could use bootpage to find out which set is which and then use dd or dd_rescue to do a bit for bit copy of the actives onto the inactives.

If you haven't already, go to mfslive.org for to download the MFS Live CD v1.4 image and the WinMFS program. While there read through all of the documentation until your eyes cross, and, yes, there are a few "goofs" in the how-to's and FAQ's that haven't been corrected yet, like one place where you're directed to hook up 5 devices to 4 locations.

Just remember that a backup from one is not the same as a backup from the other (for some reason), and so you have to restore with the same one that made the backup, so it wouldn't hurt to have one of each made, tested, and stored safely.

I'm hoping to do some 649080 experimentation very soon, and might be better able to answer your question afterward.

Also I'll try to create an image for you in case you can't get a good backup from your many kickstarted original.

In the meantime, grab any decent 80GB or larger drive you can spare and do a backup -Tao or the WinMFS equivalent from your original drive and start using the new one.

Don't expand it if it's just a placeholder until you get a big new drive, otherwise you will have maxxed out your allowable number of partitions.

Check out the SATA-IDE adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

and the drive FAQ, which started off Series 3-centric, but spread out to TiVo replacement and upgrade drives in general.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784